• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If it makes you happy, go for it. I think when surgeons fail to address an underlying mental disorder and continue doing extreme surgeries on patients without at least attempting to refer them to a therapist, first, that it's medically irresponsible.

Skin loses elasticity, cell turnover slows, boobs sag. Some women are born with an A cup on the left and a C on the right - just google ''the normal breast gallery.'' If I had drastically asymmetrical breasts, I'd want to downsize the larger one to get a more symmetrical look. I can't blame anyone for wanting to just have a basically symmetrical shape, adjusting anomalies, and such. Even if it's purely to adjust something that ain't broke, go for it- in moderation. Providing the person doesn't have underlying body image problems that will lead them to surgery addiction, I'm ok with people modifying their appearance however they please. If I ever started getting that hangy turkey neck when I'm older, I'd be tempted to get that removed, assuming I had the funds to do so. Beyond that, count me out.

I do think a lot of people would seek out this sort of thing less, if they generally took better care of their bodies; diet/exercise/sleep/good skincare routine. Maybe not significantly less, but, I think it might make a difference.

I think another issue is that, maybe a lot of people don't properly research the surgeons they see. The idea of plastic surgery is to enhance your features and have it appear natural. Believe it or not, this is achieveable. However, this is something we can't really point out, so plastic surgery tends to be associated mainly with what we DO see- the bad boob jobs with lumps of silicone sitting on the muscle above the breast, the trout-pout lip injections, the extreme facelifts..

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my brother's a really talented plastic surgeon and gives white and asian women bigger asses. as in: relocates excess fat from their thighs or stomachs and gives them a booty. sculpts it and everything. they love it and he loves helping them feel better about themselves.

he also works with mastectomy patients and has some incredible before/after pics on his gallery. he restores confidence to women who feel ashamed of their bodies on top of having gone through cancer and visible tissue loss...

none of this is easy. he takes cosmetic and reconstructive patients through a very extensive interview process to make sure his patients know what they want and what they're getting into. he also has a visualization lab that scans your body and lets him collaborate with you on designing the desired outcome. he is honest about what he can and cannot do and has no problem turning away unrealistic patients. importantly, he has an in-house psychiatrist who works with all of his patients pre- and post-operatively.

i think that's just badass. (he also designed and built his own surgical suite across from a hospital and is a professor at one of the world's best medical schools. you don't want to go to a B-player who doesn't take his shizz seriously, do you?)

so while i don't care what you do with your body, if you're going to get plastic surgery i think you should be smart about it. check out your MD's facilities, interview former patients, look at outcomes (show them to other plastic surgeons for second opinions if you like), talk to her/his staff beforehand...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Not a fan.

At all.

Edit: I have no problem with it if it's for genuine medical reasons.

A

A window to the soul

Some are whipped with the ugly stick and for some, the years are not kind. Thank God for plastic surgery beautifying our environment.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Not normally bothered by it and only an intensely dishonest person would claim there is nothing they would want changed about themselves, although those who take it too far and look like they are a melted wax candle need to think about what they are doing to themselves.

Id have plastic surgery if you could use it to change what I wished to change.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not normally bothered by it and only an intensely dishonest person would claim there is nothing they would want changed about themselves, although those who take it too far and look like they are a melted wax candle need to think about what they are doing to themselves.

Id have plastic surgery if you could use it to change what I wished to change.

Okay, so what you change if it was free of charge?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ya know honestly I hate that looks are so over emphasized in the world. Like its just about the best thing you can be. My beautiful daughter, son etc everyone talks about looks constantly. Nicer looking people are treated better. It sucks. The whole thing sucks. And people are programmed to think certain attributes are more appealing than others.

I wish for a week I could experience the world without this mentality.

On the other hand. Who cares. I feel better when I look good and I like being a visual person an being moved by beauty and appreciate being appreciated so I get it.

Fake boobs aren't pretty tho. People shoul really stop that. So are fake full lips. Yuck.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I want someone to be a michael jackson and get tons of plastic surgeries on here. who will it be?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I never noticed this quote. There was never anything I wanted changed.

Now that aging has set in I would tweak if I could but obviously I only care about my looks so much since I did let myself get overweight. (And don't wear makeup very often)

It's also still surgery and is a bit scary. Our pediatrician seems to have done well with two facelifts but I think this third one isn't looking right. Maybe it's some other medical issue but it seems pretty obvious since I've seen her recovering from surgery. It's still a bit of gambling just for cosmetics.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm rereading the original post of yours which I was referring to, I take it that you ment you'd change more than just your physical appearance?

Well actually it could easily be seen that way yeah. But that original post was more to do with physical appearance, although I think most people have certain insecurities even if they are not aware of them and this could easily extend to one's personality.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well actually it could easily be seen that way yeah. But that original post was more to do with physical appearance, although I think most people have certain insecurities even if they are not aware of them and this could easily extend to one's personality.

Okay so back to my original post then, out sheer curiousity. :)
What would you change about your appearance physically since you said you would if it was free of charge?
Do you find that its because of insecurity you've conjured up yourself, or one that people have projected onto you?
Or would you consider it to not be a insecurity at all?

G

Glycerine

I used to really want plastic surgery if I ever made a ton of money. I didn't like my lips, nose, eyes, jaw, chin, cheeks :blush: yeah... I was incredibly insecure. I don't think plastic surgery is necessarily bad but it's something that I should never venture in.. I can be way too perfectionistic for my own good sometimes. For other people, they should do what they want but it shouldn't be to mask another problem. :)

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to really want plastic surgery if I ever made a ton of money. I didn't like my lips, nose, eyes, jaw, chin, cheeks :blush: yeah... I was incredibly insecure. I don't think plastic surgery is necessarily bad but it's something that I should never venture in.. I can be way too perfectionistic for my own good sometimes. For other people, they should do what they want but it shouldn't be to mask another problem. :)

Sounds alot like my ENFJ (possibly) friend, she is attractive, and she knows it. But she'll always pick out things she could possibly change to meet the universal "perfect". Not that she actually would get any of that done thank god. She'd never be fully satisfied with the end results haha.

G

Glycerine

Sounds alot like my ENFJ (possibly) friend, she is attractive, and she knows it. But she'll always pick out things she could possibly change to meet the universal "perfect". Not that she actually would get any of that done thank god. She'd never be fully satisfied with the end results haha.
That sounds like me except I typically don't see myself as all that attractive. LOL
Haha whenever I think of wanting plastic surgery, I just think of Joan rivers and then the desire fades quickly because I would probably become the Asian Joan Rivers. :D

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds like me except I typically don't see myself as all that attractive. LOL
Haha whenever I think of wanting plastic surgery, I just think of Joan rivers and then the desire fades quickly because I would probably become the Asian Joan Rivers. :D

Haha well, it's more so that she knows if she says "im not that attractive" SOMEONE is going to berate her about it, and she knows it's most likely true even if she doesn't feel like it. A little cliche no?
LOL that's a really good way to remind yourself on the danger hahaha. The asian Joan Rivers, I wonder what that would look like. ;)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as hey arent hurting anyone else or deliberately harming themselves (going into the mindset of just... self destruction rather than having some sort of healthier underlying reason)

I think its sad some people feel the need to ‘fix’ themselves so they can better represent some sort of cultural ideal... but if that is their choice, then I stand by it

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as hey arent hurting anyone else or deliberately harming themselves (going into the mindset of just... self destruction rather than having some sort of healthier underlying reason)

I think its sad some people feel the need to ‘fix’ themselves so they can better represent some sort of cultural ideal... but if that is their choice, then I stand by it

I REALLY want to fix my eyes.
I've been photo-phobic my entire life. Years of squinting have given me VERY strong muscles on my eyelids.
I've look liked the old woman from Goonies since I was a little girl and I see the world through a letter box screen.

Make up doesn't help. Even if I can keep the tiny slits of my eye open long enough to apply it, it's just gets smudged either by my lids crushing it or my hummingbird-like blinking.
Fancy events or even anime conventions make me feel horrible about myself. Even the chubbiest, most frumpy girls can become a princess or wide-eyed anime heroine with some effort. No matter how well I dress myself, no matter how much make up I try I just look like an experiment between an angry old man and pug dog gone horribly wrong.

Sometimes I wonder why I put so much every into my appearance.I get compliments on my outfits ALL the time. Hell, once it was just a jacket and PJ bottoms and no one could tell. I'll stand in front of the mirror, brushing out my hair until it looks like black silk, put together a somehow casual yet very stylish outfit in a way that only I can, take one look in the mirror and just want to tear it all off and replace with a hoody, torn jeans and sandals because thinking I could ever look is just a fucking joke.

To be perfectly honest, I'm fairly certain that I am dealing with some level of non-gender body dismorphia.

So uum, yeah. I think there are some cases where plastic surgery is necessary to one's mental health.

Also, i have had plastic surgery before but it was mostly for medical reaons.