• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

T

ThatGirl

You aren't obsese enough for the lap band, and if you have a thyroid issue or could have other contributing factors, a lap band should be your last result.

I'm not sure what getting a nose job has to do with aging either.

I will never understand how drastic weight fluctuation is seen as healthier than obesity.

And no, they want to keep me on low thyroid suppliments, enough that it works barely, and wont trigger the antibodies to kill it. Basically low thyroid....fuck that.

Also you didn't see my grandma at the age of 86, it looked like a pickle with a face.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Getting a lap band isn't going to fix your thyroid.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mean if it's a thyroid issue it's simply not going to fix it. You'll still have the problem.

The lap band is for people essentially who have a serious eating disorder who can't seem to control binge eating to the point of becoming morbidly obese.

T

ThatGirl

I disagree, that may be what it was invented for, but it could have other health benefits.

Not everything has to be used as it was intended.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Something I've always wondered... what if after getting breast implants you cant afford to renew them? Silly question I know, but I'm serious! They say that silicone *can* last up to 18 yrs, and saline 12-14.. but what would someone do if they were financially strapped, had poor credit, and couldn't find anyone to loan them money? I wonder if plastic surgeons do payment arrangements for people with bad credit.... what an efed up spot to be in....

and then, you'll have to always renew them right.. so even when your a 92 yr old purple hair with hip replacement.. you'll be scheduling an appointment to have these buggers replaced. Isn't surgery really dangerous for some elderly people? What if you develop alzheimers in your 70's, and by your 90's you forget to let anyone know you need these replaced?

:cry:

Ha, I wondered, too. Though I guess if you're desperate enough, you find the money.

I certainly wouldn't mind having bigger boobs, but I don't like the look of the fake ones, or the fact you have to replace them. And I definitely don't like that they'd feel weird/hard.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I disagree, that may be what it was invented for, but it could have other health benefits.

Not everything has to be used as it was intended.

How is shrinking your stomach going to improve your thyroid function?

T

ThatGirl

How is shrinking your stomach going to improve your thyroid function?

You are missing the point, nothing is going to fix it. This best treats the extreme symptoms.

I am currently 160 lbs. See the Get TG Skinny in 30 Days or Less thread to assess the drastic nature of this.

A

A window to the soul

You are missing the point, nothing is going to fix it. This best treats the extreme symptoms.

I am currently 160 lbs. See the Get TG Skinny in 30 Days or Less thread to assess the drastic nature of this.

BTW, my question above wasn't to make you feel bad TG, it was to make you 'think' because the reality is, you are not morbidly obese. You're tall? So at 160 maybe you just need to lose about 20 pounds? It's doubtful you look all that fat at this point. I think there is a deeper self-image problem going on there in addition to Thyroid, if you seriously think lap band is the answer. Marm made a good point (above). I bet you already know what you need to do to lose/maintain the weight yourself over the long-term. Positive action: determination, self-discipline, and self-control are. And aiming for the best (as you stated above), whatever that entails.

Ha, I wondered, too. Though I guess if you're desperate enough, you find the money.

I certainly wouldn't mind having bigger boobs, but I don't like the look of the fake ones, or the fact you have to replace them. And I definitely don't like that they'd feel weird/hard.

Breast implants do not have to be replaced.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm way too terrified of it going wrong...i can't imagine anything being as hard to deal with then having your face forever all screwed up by bad plastic surgery like someone posted...i would a million times rather be old n wrinkly then all plastic caricature looking.

not that i want it or feel like i need it anyway...just saying...so many of the famous celebrities who've had it done didn't need it either....you should youtube search plastic surgery and celebrities...the amount of them who have done it is craaazay..

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people might feel really insecure about their looks, if they want a little plastic surgery to feel better about themselves then who cares, just as long as they dont go over board and ruin themselves like these people :

wild2.jpg

michaelj.jpg

Deformed-Pete-Burns-Talks-Plastic-Surgery-in-TV-Special-2.jpg

I hear it can be an addiction.... scary. Or is it more like a disease similar anorexia??

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
omfg those doctors should lose their license.

rav3n

Nah, I just worked with old people. Trust me.....it's real.
People age. So what? Consider the underlying reality of it. People in general, fear aging and death. So, big business caters to and promotes these fears. It's the gift that keeps on giving from a revenue standpoint when in reality, aging, death and taxes are three eventualities.

Staying healthy is far preferable since it adds to maintaining your quality of life. But no matter how much you lypo suck, lift and alter, it won't stop time and gravity. So why not accept it to some degree while living a healthy lifestyle?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is nothing wrong with plastic surgery, but it better be done for the right reasons and people should be realistic about the reasons and the outcome.

i'm way too terrified of it going wrong

+1

i get wanting to alter your body a little... i mean i have tattoos... but i think it's better if people do it because they actively want a certain look, not just because they feel insecure about their body. i also understand better in the case of extreme deviations from normal... i mean having a bigger-than-average nose is one thing, but if you have an very large, crooked nose that draws attention away from the rest of your face, i can understand wanting to change that.

like i can understand this:

ab2.jpg

better than this:

ashley-tisdale-nose-job.jpg

i think she looked better pre-op, but whatever floats her boat :shrug:

paris hilton looked better pre-op too, imo

paris-hilton-nose-job.jpg

Sparrow said:
I hear it can be an addiction.... scary. Or is it more like a disease similar anorexia??

that image of pete burns is terrifying :shock:

i would guess that it would be likely to involve body dysmorophic disorder... "(psychological) somatoform disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features" (thank you wikipedia) - with the defect shifting to different parts of the body as more and more surgery is done... like oh my nose is perfect now, but look at my undereye circles... etc... because the root cause isn't the body part itself, it's the underlying esteem issues... people just find different parts of their body to project it on because their bodies are something concrete that they can fix...

T

ThatGirl

People age. So what? Consider the underlying reality of it. People in general, fear aging and death. So, big business caters to and promotes these fears. It's the gift that keeps on giving from a revenue standpoint when in reality, aging, death and taxes are three eventualities.

Staying healthy is far preferable since it adds to maintaining your quality of life. But no matter how much you lypo suck, lift and alter, it won't stop time and gravity. So why not accept it to some degree while living a healthy lifestyle?

I agree that businesses prey on people who fear aging, but I disagree with accepting it. If there is something you can do, not to stop it, but slow the effects down then why not?

I do plan to live a healthy lifestyle but why ever "accept" the inevitable?

Plan for the worst and hope for the best....I'm not going down without a fight.

Edit: actually I hate that saying, more like prepare for the worst and plan for the best....

rav3n

I agree that businesses prey on people who fear aging, but I disagree with accepting it. If there is something you can do, not to stop it, but slow the effects down then why not?

I do plan to live a healthy lifestyle but why ever "accept" the inevitable?

Plan for the worst and hope for the best....I'm not going down without a fight.
Don't know if you read my post about Michael Jackson and Heidi Montag. Also take a look at Mickey Rourke and Joan Rivers. Do you honestly want it to become a horror story addiction?

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Like many people have pointed out before, plastic surgery has a lot of gray areas. For me, I have no problem with it if it's used for the correct reasons and not an attempt to fix deeper psychological issues.

For me, I'm considering surgery due for practical reasons. One of my breasts is nearly three sizes larger than the other and it creates a lot of problems and really isn't proportional to my height at all. It puts a lot of strain on my back and tends to get in the way. Am I using it for a gain in self confidence? Maybe a little, but I really would like my back to stop hurting.

In summary, I have no problem with plastic surgery as long as you don't try to make yourself resemble ET or like you super-glued salmon to your lips. There is a reasonable limit to how much you can modify your body before you provoke laughter rather than appreciative looks.