• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Optimism and Pessimism

Mole

Permabanned
Americans are optimistic while Australians are pessimistic.

So when things are going well against our expectations, we are delighted; but when things are going badly for Americans, against their expectations, they panic.

So we must endure American movies with their happy endings, while Americans must endure our deprecatory sense of humour, which they regard as self destructive and pathological.

So we are divided by the seasons, by day and night, and by our disposition to optimism and pessimism.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Aussies seemed more optimistic than pessimistic to me - well from a NZ perspective anyway.

I wouldn't draw to many Australia vs. USA dichotomies. Australia shares many American qualities, and increasingly so in recent years.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Can countries be typified by a degree of overall optimism or pessimism? If so, I would certainly say that my country is pessimistic in the extreme, seeing as how moaning and doom saying is a national sport here.

Mole

Permabanned
The 4th of July and ANZAC Day

Consider our national holidays -

The Fourth of July is an optimistic celebration

while -

ANZAC Day is a pessimisic memorial and wake.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

while -

Was that in reply to me? I am not American or Australian. I see your point of course.

Although with pessimism and optimism they are both subject to a doubt in character when taken to the extremes. So if someone is too pessimistic or too optimistic they have a lack of reality outside of their own assumptions.

It's either overestimation or underestimation. Although in general pessimists enjoy pretending that they have a better grasp on the reality of things than optimists, merely based on their own misery...oh you unique and special pessimists, those ignorant sheep will never know the truth will they? Now pat yourself on the back as you walk head over heels into your fantasy. Dont forget to tread on toes and moan all the way, how ever will people understand the magnificent depth of your insight into our doom otherwise?

tc3

while -

How about if we were to compare Australia Day with Independence Day

and ANZAC day with Memorial day/Veterans day?