• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some N confusion

WhimsyGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ok, this isn't the first time this has happened, but i've been confusing my INFJ's with my ENFP's and my INTJ's with my ENTP's. Weird right? they're like 2 letters off and in terms of cognitive functions, like WAAAY off. i can usually tell the INFP's from the ENFJ's, and i don't know many INTP's and ENTJ's, sooo...anyone else have that prob? remedies? thoughts?
ok, im done :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about the differences between ESFP, ESTP, and ISTP, because all of those types are really wildly active and all over the place pulling off extreme stunts no other types would dare of doing! I could be one of those 3 types.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Ok, this isn't the first time this has happened, but i've been confusing my INFJ's with my ENFP's and my INTJ's with my ENTP's. Weird right? they're like 2 letters off and in terms of cognitive functions, like WAAAY off. i can usually tell the INFP's from the ENFJ's, and i don't know many INTP's and ENTJ's, sooo...anyone else have that prob? remedies? thoughts?

ENFPs and ENTPs are Ne-doms, and, as such, their minds are often jumping from one thought to another in rapid succession, as they make (somewhat superficial) connections between objects/concepts. These videos are great examples of ENPs, imo:

INTJs and INFJs, on the other hand, are Ni-doms, and, as such, their minds are far more one-track (Ni is convergent, while Ne is divergent), and so they often resist, or at least are (somewhat) pained by, jumping too much from one thought to another, and, as such, are often seen doing something like the following:

:beathorse:

I won't be posting any videos of INJs, because the ones who post them tend to be annoying douchebags.

Little_Sticks

Just for the record:
Type isn't necessarily a self-evident entity. It's a cognitive tool - and different tools work best for different situations; I'd see a problem if you didn't find any problem in typing everyone you know.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i always have the hardest time with S/N
especially with people i'm very close to.

i thought my older brother was NT for
the longest time, finally settled on xSTP.

i have a tendency to think they're N before
S too. i don't know why i do that. thought
one of my childhood friends was INTP,
turns out he's ISTP.

very hard to determine especially if they're
able to follow my line of my thought. because
man i'm alllll over the place.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How long have you been at this? Because if you can't recognize functions or at least attitudes (such as this person seems much more Pe than Pi) then you're going to be highly confused by behaviors. A person can BEHAVE this way or that, and indeed it may be some indication of type, but what is more important is the motivations and thought processes behind the behaviors.

Mixing up ENFPs and INFJs is pretty extreme, because ENFPs are actually more similar to other FPs, and maybe even occasionally seem like immature or crazed ExTJs under stress.

It's a very subtle thing to have to learn, it's taken me years to understand and grasp the functions and spot them, and it tends to go best for me with people I'm very close to, and I understand how their mind works.

Differences for me have sometimes come with the secondary function rather than the primary. Like my ESFJ sister, I thought she was ENFJ.

Or I'll be good at judging functions like my own are absolutely Fi/Te...but I had to clarify differences between Se and Ne, and I realized that I enjoyed my supposed "Si" way too much to be an ENFP, but seemed to be using some forceful "Te" that made me seem un-INFP-like...looks to me like I was confusing my Se for a weird mix of Si and Te.

What's funny though is that even on the Keirsey site they have me pegged as an SFP. So there's more overlap I think than people may give credit for, if they really understand what they're doing.

Like how my ISTJ mistook himself first for ISFJ because of high Fi, and I thought he seemed ISFP-ish at first because of that Fi. People also called him ENTP and ISTP because of his BEHAVIORS and PERSONA.

However, getting to know him, he's a painfully obvious Si dom, and over time it became obvious that he's Te/Fi. He even relates to the Keirsey idea of the SJ Guardian.

So does my ESFJ sister, incidentally.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe the most telling difference is Js generally pursue closure, and Ps avoid it - but FPs and TPs can be surprisingly decisive when it comes to matters of F and T, respectively. In other words, if you're stuck deciding between IxxJ and ExxP, you can look for little clues like daily routines (more J), neater work spaces (more J), decisiveness in most everyday matters (more J) - versus distractability (more P), changing course in the middle of plans (more P), and sudden-seeming, very firm decisiveness in ethical or logical matters (more P).

Like Zarathustra already said, the most guaranteed way to tell is whether they're more often unable to stay on topic (P) or beating a dead horse (J). ;)

I actually mistook my ESFJ now-boyfriend for ENFP at first. I thought it was dom Ne, but it was tert relief. He's a tricky one, because he's probably the most NF-seeming SJ I've ever met. He's very humanitarian, progressive, politically liberal (used to be radically liberal), really into fiction, and has a heavy dose of intuition, both the MBTI kind and the real-world kind. It took me months to figure him out! He's confirmed ESFJ himself, now.

redacted

INJ types and ENP types have vastly different social presences. I find that ENPs are especially easy to spot based on how they converse in groups.