• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

apparently I'm intimidating...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad that I'm not tall... though it probably leads to a female napoleon complex :doh:

and directness is supposed to be a good thing, I thought :unsure:

KDude

i see...

are you a hippy-haired 6'4 heavyweight man with a heavy accent physically different in apearance from the main ethinicty of the local population walking around with a chinese looking 5 years old boy and a petite blond woman who looks like a teenager (even though she is in her mid 20's) and wears too much makeup?

...cause apearently that will do it... learned it the hard way.

Holy shit. You just described me. We must be twins.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
over the past few months, I've been described by various people (especially coworkers... even ones visiting our office on business trips!) as intimidating... even by people who like me... I really have no clue why :unsure:

what makes a person intimidating?

should a person realize this?

:sadbanana:

You don't seem intimidating to me but your probably just on the ball with everything at work. You don't have to be a dickhead to be intimidating alot of people will judge you simply on your body language.

KDude

You don't seem intimidating to me but your probably just on the ball with everything at work.

Yeah, she seems that way to me too. I wouldn't know why people would be intimidated though. If someone is on the ball with everything, I admire it (Also, it's less work for me).

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yeah, she seems that way to me too. I wouldn't know why people would be intimidated though. If someone is on the ball with everything, I admire it (Also, it's less work for me).

No one wants to admit it but people are just very "emo".

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:sadbanana: but I want to beat up emo kids! now I'm going to have to get a really awesome workout...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and directness is supposed to be a good thing, I thought :unsure:
It's very nice thing indeed. Just others might be worried of how they come across to you.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You and I or the lot like us see competence as a challenge and a game. The rest of the litter who are rather touchy, insecure, lazy, tend to see qualities like yours as a direct threat; a bit of airing their dirty laundry and saying "you're not good enough" without saying a word. Being yourself happily is in direct conflict with everyone imitating everyone.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just curious, did it happen while you lived in Brazil?
Maybe you look like you know too much? Just a half baked theory.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If it's a competitive environment and you're good at it, you can't expect anything particularly friendly from your co-workers, unless team work is absolutely necessary. If people's pay and well-being can be affected by your performance, people will be scared of losing their own pay and well-being. It's human.

weird... I'd think that it would make more sense to want to learn from others who are competent so that you can be good enough to surpass them someday! or at least get close to them so that you can mooch off of their work...

Time and work are finite, there aren't shares for everyone and really, not everyone is good at earning money. So it's pretty much normal that less competitive people might be scared.

The rest of the litter who are rather touchy, insecure, lazy, tend to see qualities like yours as a direct threat;

Yeah, let's throw them in a dumpster.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say you sound very matter of fact so to some people it might feel as though you're trying to control their reality or interpet their reality for them. Just use more feeling/ezperienced based language w/ open ended questions

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]

I've had girls who never met each other describe me the smae way. What the hell does being intimidating mean?

I'm gonna do some research... *looks for clues in movies*

KDude

o i wasn't talking about myself, i meant you - learned the hard way from the effort i've had to take in observing you.

Ah. Tbh, only some of it applied. The chinese boy and the petite blonde never show up at the same place, at the same time.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One thought that immediately comes to mind is that you're a bit more prone to risk-taking and expressing what you really think. People like that are considered often considered intimidating. Also, you can be kind of random, and that might not be expected. A lot of people really just feel intimidated by ANYTHING that goes against their expectations.

I really think that you're an interesting person, though, and that you shouldn't try to change yourself just because other people find you intimidating. It can be upsetting to realize how people actually view you, but all you can do is remember that some people out there will actually appreciate or value the way you are. There are more of them than you think. :wink:

Oh, and as far as the competition aspect... that could be a factor as well. A lot of people might just see themselves as inferior to you when they see how well you handle things, think they're unworthy of associating with someone that awesome. It could be the good kind of intimidating, in other words.

VagrantFarce

I find this interesting - it seems to illustrate the disparity that we sometimes encounter between how we see ourselves, and how we come across to others - and especially how unaware of it we often are. :)

Lark

over the past few months, I've been described by various people (especially coworkers... even ones visiting our office on business trips!) as intimidating... even by people who like me... I really have no clue why :unsure:

what makes a person intimidating?

should a person realize this?

:sadbanana:

I strongly suspect you're surrounded by people with inferiority complexes.

I experience the same thing. Doesnt bother me anymore.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
[MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION]

I've had girls who never met each other describe me the smae way. What the hell does being intimidating mean?

I'm gonna do some research... *looks for clues in movies*

maybe cuz you look like uncle Jesse from full house.