• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Think You Could Be Part of a Mob?

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
You see mob action on the news all the time. It seems to me to be pure insanity. I was trying to run a scenario in which I could be swept up in one but could not. I will think more, I am only human, I suspect it could happen.

I am curious, could you see yourself acting within a mob?

What could drive one to join such activity? Are there qualities of personality that allow one to go along with the crowd, the flock, swarm, mob behavior?

Does pre-thinking our future actions help guard against this, imo, extremely dangerous human behavior?

Am I not seeing positive things in mob mentality?

simpsons_mob2.jpg

A

Anew Leaf

I can see myself, yes. For example, the Great House Avatar Swap of 2011.

In all seriousness, I think there is a biological instinct to be part of a mob. "safety in numbers, etc." "if you aren't with us you're against us."

I view this mentality when I watch Survivor at times. There will be an obvious choice of idiot to vote out, but it can be easier to vote with the mob block rather than make your own self a target.

N

NPcomplete

Hahahahahah so I came here thinking that we were talking about the Mob, the Mafia...GODFATHER! And was going to say that yes, I can easily see myself being an :evilgenius:..

*and now I've said it*
*mischief managed :yesss:*

*so for the more serious response now*

Hmm yes I have done this before, quite unfortunately. I regretted it afterwards (unless it was for hijinks like the aforementioned House Avatar "let's all share a brain for one night" thingie) because I thought that I wasn't being true to myself in the end. So now, um, I take a step back and think more. :laugh:

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahahahahah so I came here thinking that we were talking about the Mob, the Mafia...GODFATHER!

Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

Anyways, in general no, mainly because I try to distance myself from anything that could have consequences. I'd more likely be the person sitting on his roof with a rifle just in case the mob turns violent and tries to break my property or something (I really don't know why there would be a mob anywhere near me anyways.)

Though, I can't say that it is impossible, if I were to find a good reason I guess I could see myself in one, it's unlikely though.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tend to avoid crowds. So I doubt I'd be in a mob simply because I wouldn't put myself in that situation. Actually, I really don't have a clear answer for this topic. I guess we never know what we would do unless we put ourselves in the situation. I know I sure as heck wouldn't try to break up an angry mob!! I'd just run and hide!!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
If I felt I was being threatened for not joining, maybe. Otherwise, I'd probably feel lost and panicky and afraid of being trampled.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Hah, I was thinking the same thing.

Anyways, in general no, mainly because I try to distance myself from anything that could have consequences. I'd more likely be the person sitting on his roof with a rifle just in case the mob turns violent and tries to break my property or something (I really don't know why there would be a mob anywhere near me anyways.)

Though, I can't say that it is impossible, if I were to find a good reason I guess I could see myself in one, it's unlikely though.

LOL, no one expects the Spanish inquisition.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to avoid crowds. So I doubt I'd be in a mob simply because I wouldn't put myself in that situation. Actually, I really don't have a clear answer for this topic. I guess we never know what we would do unless we put ourselves in the situation. I know I sure as heck wouldn't try to break up an angry mob!! I'd just run and hide!!

Chocolate IS good for you, silly!

I avoid those kind of situations as well, I just have never heard of a good end result. Angry mobs need cliffs to run over, not us to stop them, it's true.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
If I felt I was being threatened for not joining, maybe. Otherwise, I'd probably feel lost and panicky and afraid of being trampled.

I wonder if that is what happens to some, wrong place, wrong time?

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm yes I have done this before, quite unfortunately. I regretted it afterwards (unless it was for hijinks like the aforementioned House Avatar "let's all share a brain for one night" thingie) because I thought that I wasn't being true to myself in the end. So now, um, I take a step back and think more. :laugh:

No kidding. Like in school?
Don't share if you don't want to. :hug:

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I can see myself, yes. For example, the Great House Avatar Swap of 2011.

In all seriousness, I think there is a biological instinct to be part of a mob. "safety in numbers, etc." "if you aren't with us you're against us."

I view this mentality when I watch Survivor at times. There will be an obvious choice of idiot to vote out, but it can be easier to vote with the mob block rather than make your own self a target.

I thought about this angle. I think you are right, odd stuff though.

Survivor.. :dont: :smooch:

A

Anew Leaf

OOOOoooh? Does it end horribly?

Um....

Well.... From one point of view it does. But another point of view it ends gloriously in that it propels the action forward like a Mexican hooker on a train.