• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Feminine Ideal

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is a long and broad history of the ideal female body type to require artificially exaggerating some aspect of it. Why is this? Is it the result of women competing based on their appearance, so that any valued feature is taken beyond its natural extreme? Also, some of the alterations by nature make the woman less capable and independent. Many of these images will appear grotesque to our eyes, but consider the exaggerations we are conditioned to value. Consider the following...

Foot Binding:
Ambulatory impairment

footbinding4a.jpg

Corset:
Circulatory restriction causes fainting spells.

CorsetComp.jpg

Elongated Necks
Pushes shoulders down.

LongNk.jpg

Breast Implants:
Causes back problem and requires second surgery in 20 years.

user756_1153892193.jpg

Head binding:
(Not sure if this is gender specific)

ChinookHeadFlattening.jpg

Weight loss

anorexia41.jpg

edit last photo

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it has its roots in sexual dimorphism normally, which is why I don't think weight loss/skinny is a more modern form of an ideal, or at least differs significantly in how it came about. It doesn't target a specific trait... and it seems to come from mass media and fashion designers, generally imposed more by other women than men (men have consistently shown preference for more curves and higher BMIs than women).

The weight issue is similar to suntans - it indicates certain traits that become socially relevent... Suntans on men used to mean money (ala French Riveria) while now it practically means Beach Bum (often associated with poor, non-professional).

The others tend to revolve around emphasising the differences between males and females.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So why are women so stupid?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So why are women so stupid?
Probably because they have to mate with men to carry on the species? It really waters down the gene pool, but that's all changing now thanks to genetic engineering. Soon we'll just clone the women and leave the men to die.

Actually 'women are so stupid' because men have required those behaviors of them for their survival - and you know that. So enough with the trolling remarks, Muffin Man. :steam:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like men would last a week without a piece. The whole "patriarchy oppression" is hardly as cut and dried as women's studies would have everyone believe.

Women dress for other women.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, I bet you still shave your armpits, arms, and legs, too.

If natural human females are not good enough for you, then there's a problem. Guys don't really care that much. Women never need to change themselves to reproduce, although they might to stand out from other females for the more choice males. If they really needed/wanted a male, there are many of us that are not interesting to females. You can find us all over the place. We're not the biggest, strongest, richest, hottest, or tallest, but women overlook us because we're not what they specifically want. It certainly goes both ways.

That last girl was really icky, like all those pictures, only more with the times...

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you clarify the "arms" comment? Women shave their arms? :shock: Please tell me it's not so.

Hmm...well I know some guy who waxed his arms..

KMCE

Women get breast implants for the same reason that men put metal balls in their penises.

Sexual competition is so exciting!

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Women get breast implants for the same reason that men put metal balls in their penises.

WHAT!? *scarred for life*

darlets

At a guess, I think as wages have balanced out I think the "looks" of guys have become more important. Guys are starting to shave their chest and get facials.

I have nothing to back that up, its just a theory/guess.

KMCE

At a guess, I think as wages have balanced out I think the "looks" of guys have become more important. Guys are starting to shave their chest and get facials.

I have nothing to back that up, its just a theory/guess.

A man's attitude is more important than his look. I wonder if you have read any books on seduction?

And at the end of the day Hemingway code heros get chicks. Not the sissy and wimp with 'cute' looks.

darlets

A man's attitude is more important than his look. I wonder if you have read any books on seduction?

And at the end of the day Hemingway code heros get chicks. Not the sissy and wimp with 'cute' looks.
What I've written can be taken two ways, and we're talking about two different things. I'm simply saying that looks have increased in importance, not that they are the most important thing.

Women are no longer as reliant on the male being the bread winner, so they can be more picky in other areas.

KMCE

What I've written can be taken two ways, and we're talking about two different things. I'm simply saying that looks have increased in importance, not that they are the most important thing.

I know what you are saying.

Women are no longer as reliant on the male being the bread winner, so they can be more picky in other areas.

Women are always picky.

But their taste of men have never changed. No matter how rich they are, they still want the dominating, aggressive, and adventurous men with an attitude. Casanova, Lord Byron, and Hemingway are examples of such men.

Women want a bread winner only when they need stability, for themselves or their children. That's why women above 30 always try to get married, or dream of marriage. They know they will not be attractive anymore in a few years time and they need to get married to ensure their financial stability.

This is so going off topic.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But their taste of men have never changed. No matter how rich they are, they still want the dominating, aggressive, and adventurous men with an attitude. Casanova, Lord Byron, and Hemingway are examples of such men.

Women want a bread winner only when they need stability, for themselves or their children. That's why women above 30 always try to get married, or dream of marriage. They know they will not be attractive anymore in a few years time and they need to get married to ensure their financial stability.

I can see why you say this, but it's a pretty blatant generalization. Women are all different, just as men are, and the sincere smart people are looking at individuals as they make their mating choices, not just stereotypes. (And the ones that do usually end up having a failed relationship, eventually, when they realize what they've done.)

I think the behavior is more obvious with the average teenager. Most males are very prone to chasing after physically attractive women for at least the short-term, regardless of the personality involved... or they're willing to make do for awhile with someone good-looking rather than someone with more depth. And the women tend to fall for the male who exudes strength and fearlessness, while relegating the "sensitive" male more to the "good friend" category.

Later in life, after we've experienced more things and expanded our knowledge of ourselves and how things work, we then realize that there are more important qualities and we make more nuanced and deeper decisions.

This is so going off topic.

Maybe. If it keeps going without tying back in, I'll split it off.

Women get breast implants for the same reason that men put metal balls in their penises. Sexual competition is so exciting!

<crosses legs painfully, tries to avoid falling on floor>

There is probably good reason I've never heard of the latter before. *groan*

Getting back to the OP, hmmm, I don't know. I see value in what Toonia AND Gatsby say and can't quite make sense of which is closer to the truth. What's interesting to me, though, is that if you take Toonia's tact that the standards are meant in some way to restrain women, it also means that women are complicit in their own enslavement. I have found women more uptight about their weight and appearance than men demand from them explicitly. Perhaps there is a cultural ideal that is being assimilated, but on the personal level, many men seem much more forgiving of women -- they're not required to play the skin-and-bones role of the Fifth Horseman.

It hurts to watch -- my daughter, who is slim and slight like most Asian women, and probably always will be no matter what she eats, already comments negatively about her weight... and I think she's already too skinny. I constantly reassure her that she's skinnier than many women and most would be happy to look just like her... but she persists in this thinking. I just don't understand. No one at home is talking about "being fat" -- not about her, not about anyone.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
There is a long and broad history of the ideal female body type to require artificially exaggerating some aspect of it. Why is this? Is it the result of women competing based on their appearance, so that any valued feature is taken beyond its natural extreme? Also, some of the alterations by nature make the woman less capable and independent. Many of these images will appear grotesque to our eyes, but consider the exaggerations we are conditioned to value. Consider the following...

I'd like to bring up the fact that a lot of being the ideal depends on one's ability to be the ideal. Take foot binding, corsets, and tanning for example. Weren't those practices limited to the upper classes in their respective societies? A person's ability emulate the ideal depends on the tools they have access to. If I can't afford to get implants I stuff my bra with tissues, but that's even more false advertising then implants because at least the implants are "real." I think many of the pics you used are extreme examples of beauty and not the norm in most societies.

Re: Fortunato's post, that sounds well and good and all, and most people at some point in their lives can see past the casing, but at my office Christmas party, the presents that were wrapped in nice shiny packaging were the first ones to be snatched up. What happened after the box was opened is a different story, but the dull looking presents were that last to be chosen.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re: Fortunato's post, that sounds well and good and all, and most people at some point in their lives can see past the casing, but at my office Christmas party, the presents that were wrapped in nice shiny packaging were the first ones to be snatched up. What happened after the box was opened is a different story, but the dull looking presents were that last to be chosen.

That's rather sad. Of course, I was describing an ideal. And it still makes one think, "Why do we go to an office Christmas party and DESIRE to be selected in such manner in that setting?"