• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The True Self and the False Self

Mole

Permabanned
The false self follows the cultural imperatives, the false self follows our desires, and the fase self is presided over by the ego.

While the true self is spontaneous, empathic, creative and present.

The false self is an historical construct to do alienated work and have alienated sex.

The true self has a chance with the birth of every new born baby before external forces smother the true self and leave the the false self behind.

False selves are half mad, driven creatures made to serve the military, industrial complex.

But worse, false selves gather together to prove to one another that they are normal and to police anyone seeking to find their true self.

While our greatest, deepest and truest love affair is with our true self.

And be true to thyself, and it follows as night the day, thou canst not be false to any man.

Last edited:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I like how you said that. The true self sounds a lot like the inner child. My favorite saying is, "it's never too late to have a happy childhood". :)

Mr. TickTock

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't like this at all. Your using such specific adjectives to define ALL people.

Just because someone is not spontaneous does not mean they are a "false person" or a lie. To me its like your insulting parts of REAL peoples personality.

People are alot more complex then just "Hey this guys a lie. And hey this guy is a FAKE CONSTRUCT CREATED BY OUR MONARCHIC SOCIETY"

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The false self follows the cultural imperatives, the false self follows our desires, and the fase self is presided over by the ego.

The false self is an historical construct to do alienated work and have alienated sex.

The true self has a chance with the birth of every new born baby before external forces smother the true self and leave the the false self behind.

False selves are half mad, driven creatures made to serve the military, industrial complex.

But worse, false selves gather together to prove to one another that they are normal and to police anyone seeking to find their true self.

And be true to thyself, and it follows night the day, thou canst not be false to any man.

True!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Without the False Self, there would be no True Self.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The true self is the whole damn package. The you you express yourself in the external world is no less you than than your unfiltered impulses and desires. The external, millitary, commercial, or familial irrevocably and indelibly shapes your core. To fight against something is just as defining as to conform to it, you end up being tied to it in an intimate way.

Little_Sticks

But doesn't the self only become false when it feels coerced or impeded? And true only when it's allowed to be free and nurtured? The former breads dissent, the later encourages symbiosis?

Unless you take the Buddhist approach in that all associations are considered a form of illusion, a result of our ego, which is supposed to be how we create association with the world. I see a problem there though because without some form of association we are essentially nothing. I don't understand Buddhism, frankly.

Do you know Victor that what I've come to determine is my "true self" might be one that is not present with the world? For you to try and say absolutely what each of us should come to see as our true self is to lose rhetorical credibility.

I suppose, but I could see an alternative viewpoint very easily.
True selves gather together to show to one another that they are normal and to help others seek to find their true self.
'show' can be equatable to prove, depending on your perspective.
'help others' can be equatable to policing, depending on your perspective.

It's very hard for me to distinguish between your quote and mine when regarding people. I can see both aspects happening at the same time in people, even. sakfjldsgjdslakjfldsa....

Mole

Permabanned
The ego is necessary. It works on your behalf.

The ego and the soul are marriage partners, but trouble brews when one, fuelled by over-weening ambition, seeks to dominate the other.

They need to recognise they are equals and that they need to talk to one another. It does no good fighting because both loose.

And they need never be lonely because they have each other.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Dont agree

And be true to thyself, and it follows as night the day, thou canst not be false to any man.

Agree

To add my 2 cents...our negative side hurts others and brings them down, our positive side helps and lifts people up. I really have no idea where you get the distinctions between what is false and true. Sounds like someone who is just trying to repress what he doesnt like and does like. Everyone is different, to follow my desires is to be true to thy self, so squashing them is being fake. The thing is...we have a brain to find ways to be true to ourselves that dont hurt others or bring them down.

Some people try to repress themselves and in turn repress others, some people try to grow and try to help others grow as well.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Seems like I should be adding something to this thread and dunno what, maybe its controlled folly to think and to feel at the same time with ones true and false self.

Sometimes an onion that peels itself loops back to the same starting point once more only to discover there is so much more.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems like I should be adding something to this thread and dunno what, maybe its controlled folly to think and to feel at the same time with ones true and false self.

Sometimes an onion that peels itself loops back to the same starting point once more only to discover there is so much more.

Thats what happens when you learn from the first time you peeled that onion back. The second time around you can shift your focus because you already know part of it. Now if you think you learned everything after one time, either your really good or you are gonna miss out on not looping back.