• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you prefer to hear the good news or the bad news first?

Do you prefer to hear the good news or the bad news first?

• Total voters
G

garbage

Doesn't quite matter to me. I want them both to be heard at roughly the same time so that I can make my own evaluation using both of them, though.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The bad news, always. Otherwise I am going to be worrying about what the bad news is while I am told the good news (assuming I know that there is going to be bad news as well). But even without knowing - I would prefer to end on a positive note.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
irrelevant, there is no problem I cant fix, except problems I cant fix

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDfocOfn588"].[/YOUTUBE]

rav3n

Just give me the story, without any crayon colouring like emotional bias or unnecessary drama.

S

SingSmileShine

Always bad news first. That way, I know that there are good things to follow! :)

Another vote for bad news first. I like to get the unpleasant stuff out of the way quickly. And who wants to end with a downer anyway?

wolfy

awsm
I think I like it when I am giving the news in a way I can understand and do something about. I might have some kind of emotional breakdown but it'll be worse if I find out something was hidden later or something like that.

Just tell me already.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just give me the story, without any crayon colouring like emotional bias or unnecessary drama.
This. Also do away with the whole performance thing. It makes me edgey, when people mumble into their toes. It wastes precious time.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hm. It depends. If its like- hey the world is going to end but I have cookies (one is way mlre significant and impactful than the other) I think I would prefer the bad news first because- well, to hear the good news first would seem sort of mockung at that point and would more likely irritate me than anything else.

If the good news was more significant Id prefer to hear that first.

If they were both of the same significance... probably the bad news first. Get it out of the way.

But hionestly I feel like whichever news is more significant is the news I want to hear first. I had a comminications class where were were taught to ALWAYS say the good news first and then sort of wrap the bad news in there as some sort of aside. That seems sort of disenguous and would likely irritate me. I prefer to just be told, respectfully, the bad news then have to sort of play this emotional whirlwind game. Its actually less disappointing I think- easier because Im less confused.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm. It depends. If its like- hey the world is going to end but I have cookies (one is way mlre significant and impactful than the other) I think I would prefer the bad news first because- well, to hear the good news first would seem sort of mockung at that point and would more likely irritate me than anything else.

If the good news was more significant Id prefer to hear that first.

If they were both of the same significance... probably the bad news first. Get it out of the way.

But hionestly I feel like whichever news is more significant is the news I want to hear first. I had a comminications class where were were taught to ALWAYS say the good news first and then sort of wrap the bad news in there as some sort of aside. That seems sort of disenguous and would likely irritate me. I prefer to just be told, respectfully, the bad news then have to sort of play this emotional whirlwind game. Its actually less disappointing I think- easier because Im less confused.

But really this.

I don't need useless things like good/bad. I'd rather not have someone color my perceptions of the event from the get go. Just tell me what happened. Then we'll figure out what to do.

Jaguar

Just cut the shit and tell me straight. Whatever it is.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What I’ve noticed is what some people may think is bad news for me, isn’t all that bad to me, or if they say they have good news for me, I might internally respond with an “eh”. Best just to tell me the news regardless of how you classify it and allow me to determine whether it’s good or bad on my own. After all, bad news to me is usually nothing more than a challenge I must accept and overcome, and I’m game.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All of it as fast as possible. I hate the anticipation.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bad news first. That way I have something to look forward to with the good news.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't mind either way. I'm still gonna focus first on the positive and find a way to make the negative better.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whichever is most important, or whichever logically should come first if they are related.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whichever is most important, or whichever logically should come first if they are related.

That was the most Coriolis-esque response you could've ever given to that question. Never change, for any sense of forum continuity would be all but lost if you ever did.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really care either way as long as I get to hear both.

Mozzie610

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Sometimes I feel like someone has only bad news to tell me but doesn't want to tell me only that so they make up a good news section. I actually hate this because I want time to actually process the bad news and not have to upswing into happy right away.

Now if its just something small, then it doesn't matter that much and either are fine lol

Whatever one holds more weight. Not-

Good news: That sweater you ordered online arrived today.

Bad News: WWIII has started, we’ve got 35 minutes until the ICBM’s hit.

“Well then, I’d better see if that sweater fits.” Probably isn’t going to be my response.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The bad news first. That way, the good news will help me lower the pistol from my temple.