• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the difference between being driven and being desperate?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, its just states of mind and perception. How can you say if someone that is driven isnt sub-consiously desperate and vice versa. I think its to "abstract" for an S type ;)

well, describing definitives for an emotion is rather difficult as only one person... were I everybody it would be much easier to generalize :cheese:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
desperation: running from
drive: running toward

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
desperation: running from
drive: running toward

I was taught never to run toward a parked car...this was in the form of explaining why certain dogs faces look like they had been smashed

Or that if you dont run you are more likely to get run over

...know your battles.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I was taught never to run toward a parked car...this was in the form of explaining why certain dogs faces look like they had been smashed

Or that if you dont run you are more likely to get run over

...know your battles.
yeah but that's temperance and lies outside of the desperation vs drive problem

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
there is much shrugging in this thread :thelook:

:rofl1:

lol :shrug:

I'm liking the suggestion that it's called desperation when you're failing and drive when you're succeeding.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah but that's temperance and lies outside of the desperation vs drive problem

I thought it was only temperance when you get mad at the car because you ran into it? Or you run into a parked car purposely because your mad. I would normally call it stupidity, not temperance...but to each there own :shrug:

Mole

Permabanned
Close Wrapped Souls or Unfurled Sails in the Roaring Forties?

We all live lives of quiet desperation.

We are close wrapped souls manipulating each other in the hope of finding a soul mate.

Our souls will never unfurl like the sails of Clippers, catching the Roaring Forties across the bottom of the world to safe harbour in Hobart Town.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I thought it was only temperance when you get mad at the car because you ran into it? Or you run into a parked car purposely because your mad. I would normally call it stupidity, not temperance...but to each there own :shrug:

See, if you had displayed temperance in interpreting what I said you would have realized that the fact that temperance might be required doesn't mean it is applied just like the fact that your engine needs oil doesn't automatically mean that you have oil in your tank

Little_Sticks

Can desperation drive someone?
Can the driven act out of desperation?

I guess for me, being driven is about accepting suffering and failure to reach goals; being desperate would be my aim when I want to reach goals without suffering and failure.
I suppose those that are driven, learn success from their failures; and those that are desperate, learn failure from their successes.

I think I don't want to learn how to fail; so I try very hard not to be desperate; I believe most people do as well.

:shrug: