• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which emotion is the most satisfying to express for you and why?

bluestripes

curiouser and curiouser
MBTI Type
Fi
Enneagram
re: anger -

i am divided about that. on one hand, i would be inclined to agree with [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] about anger not (normally) being catharthic. for one, it is difficult to get rid of completely - the more i try to express it, the more appears to remain. when it does subside, it leaves me exhausted and feeling as if i had dirtied myself somehow. perhaps it is the guilt that comes from knowing that i'd taken it out on someone else - when this does happen - or from the anger itself being potentially self-destructive.

during my angry spells, i try to stay in a peaceful environment whenever possible, because this helps me calm down sooner, and limit my contact with others to a minimum (unless i know the person's presence is going to have a soothing influence on me - i have a few friends like that). this reduces the chances of letting off steam at the expense of someone who has nothing to do with my mood. i have seen too much of this while growing up and i know from first-hand experience how devastating this can be for all the parties involved, so i try as much as i can to avoid doing the same to others.

on the other hand, i agree with [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]'s distinction between unproductive anger, which can permanently sour or ruin one's relationships with other people and doesn't lead to any constructive solutions, and productive anger, which causes one to emerge from one's shell and do something, change the situation one is in.

as unpleasant as my angry moods are, i think they are a positive sign. when somebody is stepping on one's throat and making one feel threatened, anger is a natural response, but i felt none for years. my reaction to having my privacy invaded or being pressured into doing something that did not agree with me was to retreat into myself. i felt hurt, sometimes severely so, but i would bottle it up. the only means i knew of resisting the outside pressure was to be passive and refuse to do, well, anything - both that which i wanted, and what was wanted from me. the fact that i actually feel angry now indicates that i am developing a normal urge to protect myself, at least on a very primal level. true, i and my mom have already resolved our conflict (for the most part), so it feels as if my emotional response was delayed, at best, by three or four years, and, as such, rather pointless. as they say in lithuanian, "like having a spoon handed to you after dinner is over". but i think it is good that it is showing at all. the anger does have to find some way out. and at least i am no longer directing it inward and destroying myself in the process.

the problem for me is that i haven't reached the stage where the anger turns into action. this does not happen automatically with me. so i'm still in a state of inner semi-paralysis - waiting for the anger to spill over the edge, i suppose, and force me to act more autonomous almost against my will. for someone who is naturally more active it could be very different.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is a difference between "expressing" and "experiencing." With regards to experiencing, of the 8 basic emotions (fear, anger, sorrow, joy, disgust, acceptance, expectation, surprise), the one I enjoy experiencing the most is joy and the one I least enjoy experiencing is fear. The reasons should be obvious. As I write this, I realize that I experience fear more than joy. Maybe I should try and do something about that. With regards to expression, I most enjoy expressing surprise when combined with joy. It's a really great combination. The one I like the least is sorrow. Anger isn't great but it seems to come and go quickly. Sorrow lasts.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Among outsiders - distrust. To my family I express and share joy.

Mole

Permabanned
Insider Trading

Among outsiders - distrust. To my family I express and share joy.

I am a real outsider. I am outside your family. I am outside your kin. I am outside your home. I am outside your town. I am ourside your county. And I am outside your country.

I am outside your season. I am outside your timezone. I am outside your daylight and outside your moonlight. I am outside your paradigm.

I am outside your religion. I am outside your politics. I am outside your mind. I am outside your feellings. I am outside your thoughts. I am outside your aesthetics. And I am outside your relationships.

I am outside the New Age. I am outside astrology. I am outside MBTI.

Insider trading is completely beyond me.

So now, do you distrust me?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a real outsider. I am outside your family. I am outside your kin. I am outside your home. I am outside your town. I am ourside your county. And I am outside your country.

I am outside your season. I am outside your timezone. I am outside your paradigm.

I am outside your religion. I am outside your politics. I am outside your mind. I am outside your feellings. I am outside your thoughts. I am outside your aesthetics. And I am outside your relationships.

I am outside the New Age. I am outside astrology. I am outside MBTI.

Insider trading is completely beyond me.

So now, do you distrust me?

That was an eloquent way to answer your own question.