• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Copied from What Threads Catch Your Eye?

This is part of my obsession with forum dynamics and how they map onto the real world.

I'd first start by trying to define popularity. The Wikipedia (which everyone knows is THE AUTHORITY on knowledge) links popularity to an article on social status, and says "In sociology or anthropology, social status is the honor or prestige attached to one's position in society (one's social position). The stratification system, which is the system of distributing rewards to the members of society, determines social status. Social status, the position or rank of a person or group within the stratification system, can be determined two ways. One can earn their social status by their own achievements, which is known as achieved status, or one can be placed in the stratification system by their inherited position, which is called ascribed status."

1. What types of rewards are distributed here? Compliments? Reputation?

2. How does one achieve status here? Post count? Post quality? Social connections and perceived popularity? I read something recently about how dominant figures are either aggressors or peacemakers. Does that hold steady here? (I think it does.)

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
This is part of my obsession with forum dynamics and how they map onto the real world. I guess I would ask:

1) What makes someone popular in real life? (fear, assets)

Maybe I've totally misread this - but are you saying that you think popularity IRL is based on fear (of the popular person) and the popular person having assets? :shock:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Assets can be non-material, Bluebell... more like "assets of personality"... but really, who cares about those.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
What a question! By imitating me of course.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe I've totally misread this - but are you saying that you think popularity IRL is based on fear (of the popular person) and the popular person having assets? :shock:

I edited my post, but yeah, that's what I was thinking. People in positions of power are either feared or have certain assets (good groomers, access to power/information, access to friends).

How friendly they are with mods.

This is absolutely true. I tend to make friends with people in power pretty quickly and I did on INTPc. It's not a conscious thing that I masterminded. (I swear!) Is that status by association, like inherited status?

What makes the mods powerful? Can't just be their power because we're not THAT powerful, especially alone. Is it uniqueness, maybe?

What a question! By imitating me of course.

Who are you?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*steps to the microphone, weeping with gratitude*

I'd like to thank my butt-less chaps and my ATHENA pheromones.

*pageant wave*

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Assets can be non-material, Bluebell... more like "assets of personality"... but really, who cares about those.

Why is Dana popular?

* easy to read and interesting
* friendly with madmins
* knows all the rules
* knows what's up in terms of what threads are out there (de facto perceived authority?)
* girl :)

Something that's interested me is in how people present themselves and whether or not they are ready to fight for their principles. It's definitely related to whom I consider to have high status.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Oh yes, having a vagina will do wonders too.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Another question.

In the real world, money is a big factor in determining status. The rep system was the closest thing we had, but it's gone. Is there any other form of currency here? Does post-count represent something similar to capital? Join date?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Three ways to popularity:

1. Intellectual grasp on how people work, and using it to your advantage.
2. Natural coolness/people skills
3. Badass infamy

Popularity can be YOURS!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not sure I buy the "friendly with madmins" part, although sure, it is often true. Somehow, Uber became a very popular poster despite being kind of a thorn in our collective side. And CC, while lovely, is not bestest friends with the madmins either.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Bull shit!!!

If I were more Captain than Chick, I'd be a lot more popular with the peeps, fo' shizzle.

I immediately thought of you as a counter-example when I posted that, oh well.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another question.

In the real world, money is a big factor in determining status. The rep system was the closest thing we had, but it's gone. Is there any other form of currency here? Does post-count represent something similar to capital? Join date?

Currency here? It's language.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bull shit!!!

If I were more Captain than Chick, I'd be a lot more popular with the peeps, fo' shizzle.

Dear Captain,

I'd totally do you.

Signed,
Lonely Vagina

lol! :D

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Getting everyone to hate/be annoyed by you. Infamy will be yours! Dana: Uber says hi again.