• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:shock: All alone forevermore? That sounds like hell!

(some of us are on this site so much out of boredom from living alone :dry:)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I finally found an avatar.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But given a choice, would you be around other people 24/7 for the rest of your life, or would you be in complete solitude (the last person on earth) for the rest of your life?

I would choose the latter without hesitation. But I think most E's would choose the former.

Are you beyond any form of redemption? :huh:

Only an insane mind could formulate "choices" like that!

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
:shock: All alone forevermore? That sounds like hell!

So, is that one ENTP for choice #1?
I wouldn't like it either (I think), but I would still choose it over being around others constantly. I cherish solitude, as I need silence and little distraction when I want to do some really deep thinking, which I enjoy. Solitude would preserve my sanity, while it would probably corrupt an E's sanity, and constant social contact would have the opposite effects respectively.

Are you beyond any form of redemption? :huh:

If that's what you call introversion, I have it pretty bad.

Only an insane mind could formulate "choices" like that!

Richard Matheson begs to differ. ;)

I never said that the choices were good choices. They are extremes, and undesirable to most all of humanity. But if you had to choose an extreme, which would it be?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It *is* a cruel choice DoY... it's like choosing hell or hell really- I love being around people but I may go insane if I were around them 24/7. I've been in relationships like that before and ended up with a strong desire to kill the other person :ninja:

Does extroversion = popularity here though? :thinking:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't possibly choose between those but it did make me think about it. Given a broader choice, I would say semi-alone, with perhaps a couple of introverts and an extrovert... ideally an ENTP.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Dante's first circle or his last? I would pick the last as long as my brain still worked.

What is popularity? What exactly is it good for? Why exactly do people care about it so much?

These are questions we are trying to answer.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I thought the question we were trying to answer was, "What makes a poster popular?"

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
Yes, but the topic got offtopic. Those questions must be answered beforehand.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Else they shouldn't be confident; with you so far. Ah, so everyone is a failure.
People are too confident, and can't do anything.
People are non confident, and don't try to do anything.
I like it.

as i said, it's irrelevant. developing objectivity, especially towards yourself, is far more important. it is not about being overconfident or underconfident, but learning to consider your abilities objectively. confidence is essentially a form of presumption that isnt most often necessary.

my example was pointing out that, if one insisted upon copping out of objective self assessment, more often than not the results are, interestingly enough, inverted.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Grayscale...

A few points regarding confidence.

A.) Confident people are incredibly rare.

B.) Cockiness and confidence are not the same thing. Cockiness is just one of insecurity's myriad manifestations.

C.) It is true that confidence does not entail great ability, duh. There are brilliant people out there who sadly lack confidence, and "normal" Joes who don't (lack confidence).

D.) What is often indicative of confidence and those who truly have it, is that they know what they are capable of as well as what they're not (self-efficacy). They accept themselves and love themseleves. And they are empowered by these qualities to be who are they are and do as they do as they please.

E.) I have found that confident people are incredibly self-aware people who also happen to have adopted a grounded kind of optimism.

F.) The world would be a better place if there were more people who were confident. Insecure people often act shitty not only to themselves but to others as well. :sad:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
for the sake of further discussion, here's a definition im working from:

"faith or belief that one will act in a right, proper, or effective way", "the quality or state of being certain"

what has not been established is why confidence is necessary. it seems to be a general approach of "i will succeed" that ignores the calculated natured of reality. either someone will have the ability to do something or they dont, couldn't someone simply identify what they want and exert themselves to the best of their abilities to acheive it? why do they need to "feel" like they can?

seems like a blanket word for comfortable convinctions.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
WTF happened here?

*treads carefully, avoiding fluff*

This is a disaster! Dana, how did you let this happen?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i started it...

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
WTF happened here?

*treads carefully, avoiding fluff*

This is a disaster! Dana, how did you let this happen?

Welll.. ya know.. people see a thread about popularity and just have to jump in and post something inane, in the hope that they'll be popular...

like this.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Welll.. ya know.. people see a thread about popularity and just have to jump in and post something inane, in the hope that they'll be popular...

like this.
:popc1:

MOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!