• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes a poster popular?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
F is more easily accessible, that's all. Popularity is also about accessibility and a story that strikes a chord. I think whatever made that point.

Most people would rather prefer to be accepted and understood, than to be analysed, criticised and tolerated with patient resignation, isn't it?

Methinks Ne-Ti can mimicry Fe. And Ti-Ne, Fi. There's hope!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Currency here? It's language.

Very good point. I agree.

Good language used in posts.
Clear posts.
Clear opinions.
Friendliness (Fe!)
Opinions that are mostly same as the majority's opinions.
Good discussion skills.
Originality,
People who are good in manipulating will do fine everywhere.
Ass kissing
Totally different opinions.
Becoming a popular poster will give you loads of new "friends" who want to be "seen" with the popular poster.
Shocking people with posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mole

Permabanned
Excuse Moi

What makes a poster unpopular?

Simply by cutting across the flow of the thread.

It is almost as easy as saying the exact opposite.

But it must arise unconsciously - if you try to do it deliberately, it comes across as clumsy.

So one doesn't try to be unpopular rather it is thrust upon one from the recesses of your soul.

Let's face it - being unpopular is soulful - while the popular are bright and shiny - all bling.

You know you have met someone who is deeply and sincerely unpopular when you take an instant dislike to them.

There is no time for thought - before you can be kind - before you can be understanding - before you can be empathic - you are flooded by instant dislike.

Of course you try to save yourself - no one likes to have an instinctive dislike for a fellow human being - but it is too late - you know, you just know, you don't like them.

At this point you can only make excuses for them and to soothe your conscience, make excuses for yourself.

We know they are a sorry excuse - and we are sorry and excuse ourselves.

Victor.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I enjoyed that post, Victor.

(I now await the inevitable flurry of OMGVICTOR! posts; now that he has admin backing he will surely become popular!)

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Some posts related to the "ass kissing" confusion moved here. (For anyone curious, imagine how "ass kissing" could be miswritten.:devil:)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

(I now await the inevitable flurry of OMGVICTOR! posts; now that he has admin backing he will surely become popular!)

:rofl1: So it's the Admin backing that makes the popularity! The secret is out now!

I wouldn't say that I have any problem with a poster as long as they are genuine about what they are posting. I've enjoyed reading posts by a wide variety of members here- posts in different styles and about different things. To make me dislike you as a member you have to either say something that actually manages to offend me (and that takes quite an effort) and not recognize the errors of your ways or to continually annoy me by cutting out excerpts of my posts and quoting them out of context. As long as a member does not do either of those things, I generally have no problem with them whatsoever, "popular" or "unpopular."

I would say that there would be a difference between here and in real life in some aspects of popularity- in real life how you dress and who you know makes more of a difference than it does here (thankfully since I generally throw on whatever clean clothes I encounter for the day!) and personality and personability matter more here. An affable member stands to gain more here than in real life. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Unpopular in a Popular World

And I enjoyed your post, Ivy.

Perhaps we could be unpopular together - we could eschew pop music and only listen to classical - we could share the same ipod - one earphone in your left ear and the other earphone in my right ear - we would be two peas in a pod.

We could beat time together - you hearing one half of the stereo music and I hearing the other half - but together we make a whole.

We could infuriate the rest of them by denying we are unpopular - no matter how much they accused us of being in denial - we just tell them we are wholistic - between us we make one whole person.

We will drive them mad while we remain an island of sanity - unpopular in a popular world.

V.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I was unpopular in school and teased quite often. I was very shy and introverted. Today I am probably still unpopular, care very little about being popular and can be extroverted in small slices. Like me, don't like me, it's your choice/loss.

Mole

Permabanned
Catch

I was unpopular in school and teased quite often. I was very shy and introverted. Today I am probably still unpopular, care very little about being popular and can be extroverted in small slices. Like me, don't like me, it's your choice/loss.

Ooo, I dunno Jen. I can't decide whether I like you or whether I don't. I am worried though of missing out - after all I don't want to have a loss.

Could I perhaps like you tentatively. I was thinking I could pretend to like you then I thought you wouldn't like that. So I am kind of half way between liking you or not.

Really just the slightest tip would push me one way or the other.

I am precariously balanced on the cusp of like and dislike.

Could you possibly rescue me?

Actually I love to be rescued, so I can almost....almost.....feel myself tipping towards you.

Catch me as I fall.

V.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

:D I like you Jen, though I'll admit to being suspicious of you at first because you seemed a bit too fun and nice :thelook: I realized after a while though that you do genuinely care about people here and that's something to admire!

(yeah... I'm suspicious of nice people, so what :tongue:)

I like Victor to because there's something of an earnestness in his posts that I find to be fascinating. :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Ooo, I dunno Jen. I can't decide whether I like you or whether I don't. I am worried though of missing out - after all I don't want to have a loss.

Could I perhaps like you tentatively. I was thinking I could pretend to like you then I thought you wouldn't like that. So I am kind of half way between liking you or not.

Really just the slightest tip would push me one way or the other.

I am precariously balanced on the cusp of like and dislike.

Could you possibly rescue me?

Actually I love to be rescued, so I can almost....almost.....feel myself tipping towards you.

Catch me as I fall.

V.
No. *looks down at Victors crumpled up body*

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I like you Jen, though I'll admit to being suspicious of you at first because you seemed a bit too fun and nice I realized after a while though that you do genuinely care about people here and that's something to admire!

(yeah... I'm suspicious of nice people, so what )

I like Victor to because there's something of an earnestness in his posts that I find to be fascinating.
Thanks, I like you too. Weird that you thought I was both fun and nice. I suppose I can be but I don't really view myself as all that "nice". Ah well whatever. :rolleyes:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
hhhmmm

if we leave and peek in once in a while are we then popular???

giggles

no

lol

I think a lot of posters here are popular in their own way, everyone seems to have something unique and interesting to add thus making them appear popular. We all have different reasoning for liking or disliking someone and typically I like most people around here.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
causing an acceptable ruckus

people are not inclined to consider people objectively. those who take the initiative to step into the spotlight will always garner the most attention.

people tend to respect those who voice their opinions because they think it implies confidence... this is especially true of those with abrasive opinions. most people are, apparently, unaware that how someone acts implies absolutely nothing about the person except that they partake in those actions, ultimately. consider this and one might find the attractive suddenly unattractive.

fact of the matter is, popularity is subjective. most of those im sure many would call "popular" are not nearly as interesting to me as some of the far less boisterous posters. personally, i dont care how often you post, how loud you write, or how awesome your labido is, if you arent saying anything new my attention will be elsewhere.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

people are not inclined to question their perspective or look at people objectively. those who take the initiative to step into the spotlight will always garner the most attention.

people tend to respect those who voice their opinions because they think it implies confidence... this is especially true of those with abrasive opinions. most people are, apparently, unaware that how someone acts implies absolutely nothing about the person except that they partake in those actions, ultimately.
Yes exactly. There are too many variables... psyche, mood, hunger etc. Unless you know how to turn every experience and mood of a person's life into a streaming calculus equation, psychoanalysis is basically just a bunch of guesses.

Apologize for derailment, but I wanted to expand.

There is however, the idea that perhaps the confidence is what inspired one to voice that abrasive opinion, but like you say, it's not a definite indicator.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes exactly. There are too many variables... psyche, mood, hunger etc. Unless you know how to turn every experience and mood of a person's life into a streaming calculus equation, psychoanalysis is basically just a bunch of guesses.

Apologize for derailment, but I wanted to expand.

There is however, the idea that perhaps the confidence is what inspired one to voice that abrasive opinion, but like you say, it's not a definite indicator.

it may be, but i what i was getting at was that confidence is irrelevant. i think ability is quantifiable, and whether someone is able to make the most of their own abilities is often only a matter of dispelling their inhibition, confidence may help with that... it doesnt, however, make them more or less able.

the reason people will respect confidence is because it implies ability. if someone has little self doubt, it follows that their approach is tried-and-true. however, this assumes that people are able to consider themselves objectively. ironically, i have found that some of the most confident people are actually those who ought to be the least confident. a fool sees thing simply, and so thinks everything is simple, and someone with low standards will more easily see themselves a success.

and im not sure if you got the memo, but we had a new derailment mitigation system installed recently... the Edahn(c) Offtopicatron 2008

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT

people are not inclined to consider people objectively. those who take the initiative to step into the spotlight will always garner the most attention.

people tend to respect those who voice their opinions because they think it implies confidence... this is especially true of those with abrasive opinions. most people are, apparently, unaware that how someone acts implies absolutely nothing about the person except that they partake in those actions, ultimately. consider this and one might find the attractive suddenly unattractive.

fact of the matter is, popularity is subjective. most of those im sure many would call "popular" are not nearly as interesting to me as some of the far less boisterous posters. personally, i dont care how often you post, how loud you write, or how awesome your labido is, if you arent saying anything new my attention will be elsewhere.

Now here is a man with some ideas. This is how society should work.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
INTJs don't really care who's popular. They do like someone that can say something that sparks their brain.

Although, a semi naked avatar of some hot lusty would concievably rate better than brain candy. :D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Quality, not quantity.

Having one *real* friend is 1,000,000 times better than having 1,000,000 "fans".

Those who happen to receive a lot of attention are not necessarily the ones who are seeking it. In fact, oftentimes the opposite/reverse holds true, i.e. where a person remains more or less unnoticed or ignored by his peers despite his desperate attempts at seeking their attention.

One cannot control the thoughts and reactions of others, and "because the crowd thinks so" does not equate to "it actually being so".

I think it is safe to assume that most human beings desire to feel liked and more importantly, to be understood, but to what extent, and by whom? This is where you'll find the most variability amongst individuals.

Some people are better equipped than others in accepting and embracing the fact of their aloneness.

Solitude. :wub: The bestest friend I've ever had!!!