• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Limits

Mole

Permabanned
Parents provide limits for children, and parents provide boundaries for children. So naturally we orientate ourselves by the limits provided by our parents. In fact we feel secure within these limits.

And we feel so familiar and so secure within these limits, we can't see outside of them.

And although the limits are artificial, our perceptions are altered by living so long within their limits.

And so we look for artificial limits such as astrology or MBTI to feel at home.

Mole

Permabanned
Are we 13 or 30-something?

I think that once our perceptions are altered, it is very difficult to see our way out.

For instance, the Enlightenment took place over two centuries in the West because it required a change in perceptions.

Yet still we have pre-Enlightenment thinking like astrology and MBTI.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and where does the legal system fall in this? :huh: or the laws of science?

does this mean that if I kill those who piss me off I am truly free? :thinking:

or if I ignore the limits gravity shall no longer effect me? :holy:

Mole

Permabanned
and where does the legal system fall in this? :huh: or the laws of science?

does this mean that if I kill those who piss me off I am truly free? :thinking:

or if I ignore the limits gravity shall no longer effect me? :holy:

I think there are artificial limits like astrology and mbti, and limits in reality such as astronomy and psychometrics.

And I think we can develop a taste for the real over the artificial.

Fortunately the Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteen centuries, gave us a taste for the real over superstition.

For instance, the Enlightenment gave us a taste for evidence based medicine over speculation and spells.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
there are real limits in life though, which is why, as long as my arm is attached to me, I won't be able to lick my elbow (I've tried many times and can't manage to succeed)... these limits aren't a vestige of childishness, they're merely a fact :shrug:

limits can be fact as well as fiction... not all are arbitrary :newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
there are real limits in life though, which is why, as long as my arm is attached to me, I won't be able to lick my elbow (I've tried many times and can't manage to succeed)... these limits aren't a vestige of childishness, they're merely a fact :shrug:

limits can be fact as well as fiction... not all are arbitrary :newwink:

Sure, there are evidence based limits and cultural limits.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that once our perceptions are altered, it is very difficult to see our way out.

For instance, the Enlightenment took place over two centuries in the West because it required a change in perceptions.

Yet still we have pre-Enlightenment thinking like astrology and MBTI.

Man is still a toddler. We crave parameters to make us feel safe. It takes much time to evolve our consciousness. Perhaps in another 5 thousand years, we'll reach puberty.

Mole

Permabanned
Man is still a toddler. We crave parameters to make us feel safe. It takes much time to evolve our consciousness. Perhaps in another 5 thousand years, we'll reach puberty.

Oh please, we have modern science, modern medicine, modern technology, modern economics, liberal democracy, the abolition of institutional slavey, the emancipation of women and the freeing of children from child abuse.

We have left superstion behind except in this delightful corner of the world called Cenral.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We have left superstion behind except in this delightful corner of the world called Cenral.

I made this for you, V. I hope you like.

typeccross.jpg

And are you our own personal Jesus?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Reruns, again? Uggh, I hate the January lull.

People put boundaries around things to make them easier to digest, the same as we put boundaries around our gardens so that the plants can flourish. I don't think boundaries are bad things in themselves, unless they become rigid and start to strangle the people within them. Ironically, sometimes a fixation on no boundaries can also become rigid in itself and become a choking restraint in itself.