• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Collective Consciousness Questions

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
ollective unconscious comes from the parts of our brains that were developed before we got out fancy cerebral cortex, from our "lizard brains".

Things like falling in love at first sight, acting heroic etc are impulses coming from our collective unconsciousness, to be more exact these archetypes are structures within the collective unconscious that give us instincts to act in certain way(or at least guide us towards doing certain things).

In modern psychology the concept of collective unconsciousness is seen as a fact by most, simply because there has been studies don that show this in both humans and animals and they have found out brain structures responsible of those actions.

Birds being able to build nest on their own is one form of manifestation of collective unconscious, this nest building behavior could be seen as an instinct coming with the mother archetype.

This collective unconscious is basically an genetic memory that builds your brains(some also count the body) in a certain way, that leads to certain type of behavior due to instincta coming from those brain structures predermined by parts of dna which are shared by all people.

Never heard about that guy, but i dont think that guy is essential to the question wether collective unconsciousness is an valid theory or not.

In the sense which you have defined collective consciousness (R-Cortex), I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement. There are some who use the term to describe some sort of almost telepathic connection between people, as if they are part of a single organism. That this may be a misuse of the term is hardly the point. It was this meaning that I meant to discuss - I'm not that familiar with Jung, though I have always considered your explanation of C.U. to be the only valid one.

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
Neuro science is making it plainer by the day that our consciousness is a function of our brain.

There is no need to think of our mind as separate from our brain.

And there is no evidence of our consciousness is separate from our brain.

And collective consciousness is a religious invention of gurus like Carl Jung.

I believe that you have only said just enough to contradict yourself. If collective consciousness is an R-cortex thing, then it's as far from religion as it can be.

Also, if science is making it plainer by the day that consciousness is a function of the brain, (which I hold strongly that it does NOT), explain what headway has been made in the way of how chemical change and electrical activity creates the phenomenon of experience. Note that I am not disputing whether the brain is absolutely essential to experience, which I think science has suggested effectively.

Also, if you are sure that our mind is not separate from our brain (though this may well be true), then my mind is literally inside my head. So, are you prepared to argue that my experience of the world is approximately 1000 cubic cm in size? I don't think science has demonstrated THIS.

Edit: in my previous posts, "R" stands for "Reptilian" for those who don't know

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In the sense which you have defined collective consciousness (R-Cortex), I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement. There are some who use the term to describe some sort of almost telepathic connection between people, as if they are part of a single organism. That this may be a misuse of the term is hardly the point. It was this meaning that I meant to discuss - I'm not that familiar with Jung, though I have always considered your explanation of C.U. to be the only valid one.

Well i think this supernatural image some people have of collective unconscious comes from misinterpration from the word numen, which jung used when describing archetypes and their effect on the person. Numen or numinous is generally used from some god like entity, but if you look at its actual meaning in latin("an influence perceptible by mind but not by senses"), it comes more clear what jung actually meant with it. Jung himself said that it comes from dna and is shared by all human because it developed in evolution before we developed into what humans are today.

Ps. No such term "reptilian cortex" exists, the structure isnt an cortex at all :D , but i got what you meant after reading your last post

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
I assume you do want what you have written to be read, Victor, because you're posting it on a public forum. And I appreciate your belated permission to converse with you. For all that, I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

Skip Foreplay

MBTI Type
ENxP
Ps. No such term "reptilian cortex" exists, the structure isnt an cortex at all :D , but i got what you meant after reading your last post

R *COMPLEX, I don't know why I said cortex. It's a nickname for those several structures that etc., I read it in Sagan's Dragons of Eden. However, I shouldn't use the 'reptilian brain' synonym anymore because I just read it was made for a the outdated triune brain model, and use of the word implies I'm using that model. That's why you hadn't heard the term, I guess. Learning a lot today.

Mole

Permabanned
Mugged by Reality

I assume you do want what you have written to be read, Victor, because you're posting it on a public forum. And I appreciate your belated permission to converse with you. For all that, I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

I like reading books I don't quite understand and a new idea tickles my brain. So naturally I think everyone likes ideas they don't quite understand and love to have their brain tickled by a new idea.

But of course I am solipsistic to think everyone is like me.

Of course I would like everyone to like me and to be like me, but I am constantly mugged by reality.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here are the secrets of the collective unconscious

- humanity wants obliteration of self in intoxication

- romance is guided by the moon

- truth is foolishness

- the world is a snake eating its own tail