• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do men bully each other

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
as much as women bully each other?

Just curious.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think so, but we dont do it quite as maliciously, we turn it into jest and harmless competition usually. It takes the butt-hurt out of the equation when you do it that way.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I apparently bully men... I've made 2 cry so far this week and I was only being mean to one of the two... :thelook:

what the hell men?!? :doh:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
as much as women bully each other?

Just curious.

No. I agree with Billy about the harmless competition, but that's not really bullying on the level that I've seen women do it with each other.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why don't men bully each other?

My suspicion is that it can more quickly turn to physical violence with men, which substantially ups the stakes.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

My suspicion is that it can more quickly turn to physical violence with men, which substantially ups the stakes.

Thats 1 reason... also men tend to be more cooperative OR competitive since we are supposed to be all logical and junk. Plus I cant think of anyone who would want to know a man who was petty and wanted to hurt peoples feelings and bully the people around them. They exist for sure, but they arent embraced.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They probably did, when they were younger. The consequences of physical violence tend to give one pause after a while.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
There's the odd time when it's appropriate to flare your hood, flex your nuts, etc, but at least in my experience it's extremely rare to have a "put x in his place" situation like women seem so fond of.

And yea, fighting sucks. You might get hurt and you almost always get in trouble.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That, and nothing would ever get done if men were constantly bullying each other for status. Once a hierarchy and positions are established there is usually a degree of peace in the land which allows things to function smoothly. Bullying is disruptive to the higher goals, and unless the bully is strong enough to succeed, he's going to get slammed back into his place to a lower station pretty hard. (Either physically, or get kicked out of the group, fired, etc.) There's a higher risk for overt, disruptive bullying with men, I think.

Mole

Permabanned
The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls

Men and women bully differently.

Men bully physically, while women bully by social exclusion.

To deal with a male bully, it is only necessary to stand up to him.

But if a women complains about social exclusion it only makes it worse.

And as female bullying operates under the radar, it is eminently deniable, and is invisible to those in authority.

And the male bully is an individual, while the female bullies are a group. And of course we need a group to effectively socially exclude the victim.

And female bullying by social exclusion is immediately emotionally painful and does long term emotional damage.

So women are perennially anxious about being socially excluded, and so to deal with their very real anxiety, in Oz we have created a Minister for Social Inclusion. For every women wants to be socially included and no woman wants to be, the odd girl out*.

*"The Odd Girl Out - the Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And as female bullying operates under the radar, it is eminently deniable, and is invisible to those in authority.

And the male bully is an individual, while the female bullies are a group. And of course we need a group to effectively socially exclude the victim.

And female bullying by social exclusion is immediately emotionally painful and does long term emotional damage.

So women are perennially anxious about being socially excluded, and so to deal with their very real anxiety, in Oz we have created a Minister for Social Inclusion. For every women wants to be socially included and no woman wants to be, the odd girl out*.

*"The Odd Girl Out - the Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls", by Rachel Simmons.

Good stuff here. Some men and women bully verbally however as well.

Mole

Permabanned

What is interesting is that social exclusion can be done non verbally by a group.

So it is not that men are physical and women verbal, no, it is that female bullying is far more sophisticated than male bullying.

Male bullying is there to be seen, while female bullying is invisible and is felt as an emotional blow.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is interesting is that social exclusion can be done non verbally by a group.

So it is not that men are physical and women verbal, no, it is that female bullying is far more sophisticated than male bullying.

Male bullying is there to be seen, while female bullying is invisible and is felt as an emotional blow.

I have seen this

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think the issue of female bullying is that it's "hidden." I think that it isn't treated with the same sense of urgency as male bullying, which is typically physical and overt. You're right that it's more sophisticated and socially-oriented. That's how men and women evolved. Let's just hope we keep evolving.

A

A window to the soul

I'm the verbal bully and it's rare that I have to do it, but when I do the room gets quiet (it must be a sight): I'm controlled, comical/patronizing, and intense for intimidation purposes. With extra emphasis on intense. It's rare that I cross the line into profanity or abusive name calling. I make my point, then it's out of my face and out of my space. (I have to feel provoked in a specific way.)

[MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]: Anyway, slightly off topic since I'm obviously not a man, but good post and I agree with what you said regarding female bullying. As for me, I don't socially exclude. I bring people together. Sometimes verbal bullying assists me in dealing with bullies. I know that sounds funny, but it's effective.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I only bully on the Autobahn :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SuTIR5n6oc&feature=related"]Shelby Cobra revived[/YOUTUBE]

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Male bullies have an inferiority complex. Probably a small pee pee too. Thus they are "dicks" to make up for having no dick.

xisnotx

Permabanned
^
Men without inferiority complexes aren't men.

I think a fair amount of bullying happens between me and my male friends...though it is always tempered.

And of the times I've gotten into fights..it wasn't about "bullying" the other person (or him bullying me). Fighting is more an adrenaline thing ime, while bullying is more psychological. No bully wants to fight..indeed, I'd imagine the perfect bully never fights.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I apparently bully men... I've made 2 cry so far this week and I was only being mean to one of the two... :thelook:

what the hell men?!? :doh:

Can we bully each other? I enjoy good banter so I won't cry, I promise.