• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ideas or processes reforming

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You, as an individual have an idea you wish to bring about and had thought about the adequate methods of dealing with particular idea and so you begin to execute action towards it. During the process, your mind ponders developing and improving the idea, or a realisation occurs of a better process thought about to achieve the initial idea.

What would you do if:
you've gained an improved idea?
you've thought up or found a better process to achieve the initial idea?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would use the new idea and/or the new process in a heartbeat. In fact, I usually assume this sort of adjustment is going to be part of the process.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would use the new idea and/or the new process in a heartbeat. In fact, I usually assume this sort of adjustment is going to be part of the process.
Same here. When I come up with an idea, I realize I don't have (and may never have) all relevant information. I expect to get more information as the implementation unfolds. Improvements in the idea or process often result from this additional information, which might even be a chance encounter not directly related to my idea. My plans are thus often modular in design, with break points where I can reevaulate and shift gears if necessary. I do my best to anticipate likely possibilities, which usually gets most bases covered, plus providing adequate background to address the truly unexpected.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be a little frustrated but accept increasing clarity to be part of the idea/process- and change the idea/process to the newer better way, even if it meant backtracking a bit.

G

garbage

Depends on how much time I have, really; sometimes I have to make sacrifices and implement non-ideal ideas, sometimes I have to avoid "feature-creep," etc.

This is why I start my planning very, very generally; implement that plan; then plan some more nitty-gritty; then implement that. Like Coriolis, I try to keep stuff modular, too, so that inspirations in one area don't affect the timeline of the others.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Evolution of the idea is the natural process - there is a whole field of study behind this called engineering design.

What is stopping you from accepting this? Are you too attached to the original idea?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I've imagined some of the answers would give an emphasis on time and certain malleability with the processes. I suppose I'd have regarded the question to adhere to more 'difficult to change' processes which would require you to start from zero.
Evolution of the idea is the natural process - there is a whole field of study behind this called engineering design.

What is stopping you from accepting this? Are you too attached to the original idea?
It's about the acceptance of changing the initial process that is being done for example:
An individual takes a car to drive 50 miles off to a destination. 8 miles in, he realises the possibility of riding to the same destination off of a friend which would save him money on fuel. Or perhaps a train that would allow him to reach his destination at a much faster rate. Though he would have to turn back 8 miles. Would he go back and take the better possibility or would he continue on driving?

sculpting

Yes, I've imagined some of the answers would give an emphasis on time and certain malleability with the processes. I suppose I'd have regarded the question to adhere to more 'difficult to change' processes which would require you to start from zero.
It's about the acceptance of changing the initial process that is being done for example:
An individual takes a car to drive 50 miles off to a destination. 8 miles in, he realises the possibility of riding to the same destination off of a friend which would save him money on fuel. Or perhaps a train that would allow him to reach his destination at a much faster rate. Though he would have to turn back 8 miles. Would he go back and take the better possibility or would he continue on driving?

Hmm, less an idea and more a process already in implementation. In any process there will be go/no-go points at which the cost is too high to turn back (and perhaps points where it costs too much to keep moving forward as well.) What is the benefit to be gained by change and is it worth back tracking to do so.

Is the driving example, I might just be annoyed with myself, but would keep going as turing back would annoy me on a psychological level-it feels like extra work and time spent on a stupid choice to begin with.

rav3n

Reliant on extent of resources already committed to the initial plan and how far it's been implemented, it's sometimes too late and costly to reverse course. So then, you carry the original plan through and then commit to phase two or more if cost/benefit weighs greatly towards benefit. Bear in mind that upheaval doesn't generate benefit in the short-term since it can and does generate staff discontent which can result in reduction of production, hence reduction in revenue.

Always have your eye on the big picture.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would have gotten it right in the first place ideally. Otherwise, I'm all or nothing. If this new idea would be good enough that lost time wouldn't matter, I would just drop my old thing and go to the new idea. Otherwise, I drop the idea. But I would keep the idea for later, as it may yet prove useful.

Last edited:

Lexus

MBTI Type
xNTJ
If I could not understand it related to what I already know, I'd discard it immediately. It's the end, not the process for me, better process, harder process...it can be done, who cares. but if the improved idea brought a better end, a more profitable end, then it is worth experimenting with and applying.