• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you tell if you're depressed vs just the glums

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because i'm having a hard time deciphering the two, I feel down but I don't know if its general down or depressed down.

sorry last thread for 2 weeks like this, i'm sure you're sick of my belly aching

Silveresque

I think the difference is that with a normal low mood, it's only temporary and doesn't include all the symptoms of depression. Unlike a normal low mood, depression is the result of changes in your brain chemistry and won't go away on it's own. I would say if you meet the requirements for clinical/major depression, you're most likely depressed (although I'm no psychologist and it's always important to seek a professional diagnosis).

You've probably already looked at this, but this link describes the symptoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_episode

And if you don't quite fit enough of the diagnostic criteria, there's still minor depressive disorder (same criteria, but you only have to fit two or more).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been depressed though not entirely sure if i got over it but i was feeling better. I'm hoping it's just a blah day

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't think it''s just a blah day I keep feeling worse and worse

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a movie from netflix the 1976 version of freaky friday i could watch

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you hung out with any good friends lately? Go do something! Why are you feeling so down? If you don't want to share details PM me :). Or not! It's up to you :).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think its i'm worn from traveling because i just hung out with my best friend 2 weeks ago after not socializing for months, and dreading the trip to california and not being sure if i can go to school in january or not.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I got very little done today and I had to push myself really hard harder than usual. I don't know what to do anymore.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For me... I knew I was sad. I knew I felt crappy, even if I didn't know the reason.

When I was depressed.. I didn't know it until I look back on how I was then. I wasn't particularly noticable.. but *I* Definitely notice it now. It felt like a string of sad days.. I kept blaming this, or that, or saying I'm just moody, etc. I'd get irritated easily.. nothing worked.. it was an attitude I had adopted somehow. I felt like I was walking in the sand, while cussing at people walking on the sidewalk next to me.. I made excuses all the time--well there's already people on the sidewalk, I'd be in the way.. or the sidewalk is too hot and my feet are bare. I'm sick, or my back hurts, so they say I should walk on sand.. .. It wasn't until I noticed the only thing stopping me from walking on the side walk was myself and my lame excuses that I realized where I truly was.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I thought this was a useful, um, illustration for making the distinction you're asking about.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm probably becoming depressed, I ate almost nothing today except half a piece of chicken, 2 biscuits, a few fries, 5-6 chips with queso on them. I just have no appetite whatsoever. I ate because I needed to, not because i wanted to.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
Moving helps me. Walking or anything. I do dance tutorials from youtube and cheers me up fast. Yes, the cure must be taken consistently but its ok because sometimes can lose a couple pounds lol. Sorry you are blue, I like you. (or at least your posts) Perhaps this does not address thread theme, now that I re-read, but I will post anyway for support.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Moving helps me. Walking or anything. I do dance tutorials from youtube and cheers me up fast. Yes, the cure must be taken consistently but its ok because sometimes can lose a couple pounds lol. Sorry you are blue, I like you. (or at least your posts) Perhaps this does not address thread theme, now that I re-read, but I will post anyway for support.

awww :hug: thanks

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Im getting better at catching myself when im falling thanks everyone. I used to be,like [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] but ive learned to start recognizing when im not feeling quite right. A very useful skill for me since im prone to depression

S

SingSmileShine

I have slight depression, so I know a lot of the signs.

If you suffer any of the following:

-Lack of energy
-Lack of interest in the things that used to please you
-Staying home from work/school/social events that you would normally attend
-Abnormal sleep patterns
-Abnormal eating patterns
-Thoughts/attempts of death/suicide

...then you should probably get some checking out. However, if you can actually pinpoint a reason as to why you're feeling down, it could very well just be stress and sadness adding up to such a high point that you feel depressed. Chances are, if you feel you may be depressed, you should tell someone because there is a possibility that you may be. But the most important thing to remember is that everything is treatable!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I dont think ive ever felt just sad I go from happy to depressed

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From what I have read depression is when being in the dumps last for more then a week or 2. I know personally these days I am floating along. I know what I want, I know why im depressed, its just a matter of reaching/finding/getting what I want. I have those in my life though that know how to pull me out and I do stuff on my own as well. I dont like it, but its just a part of where I am right now...and I am thankful for the people who I can just let everything out and just be the joking/laughing/supportive/caring/playful me while I work through this crap that causes the depressed side of me.

Apparently I am different and handle things differently so I have no clue if this will help or not.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To me theres a difference between "I'm getting worn down and need some rest and time alone to start feeling human again" and "i feel like I'm sinking and I know it's a bad thing but I hate myself too much to bother doing something about it"... Those are pretty much the two negative mood options :) to me the major difference between the two is the desire to do something about it :blush: