• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you be passive aggressive even if that wasnt your intent

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Isn't that one of the hallmarks of passive aggressive behavior? That it wasn't intended, people are misunderstanding, why can't they figure out what's bothering me, I mean people around me should be mind readers, right?

:dry:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Nooo thats not what im,talking about on phone cancantot type a lot

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I think one can be passive aggressive without meaning to... I don't think anyone says, "I want to act passive aggressively toward this person." Passive aggressiveness gets kind of a bad rap, I think.... some people just don't naturally seek out conflict, so their natural way of dealing with anger is more passive. Not that it's not annoying; it certainly is, but I think it's something one has to realize that one is doing, and then work to stop doing it. No one sets out to be passive aggressive.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I mean in action not in thought

I think you overcharge my opinion giving ability with your question. Why are all people so demanding and hostile, except for me ?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs&feature=relmfu"].[/YOUTUBE]

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, I think intent has everything to do with whether somebody is being passive aggressive or not. This is why it takes a long time to figure out somebody is being passive agressive, it takes a long time to intuit the pattern that sombody is just bein an asshole instead of just being scatterbrained, neglectful and bumbling.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, I think intent has everything to do with whether somebody is being passive aggressive or not. This is why it takes a long time to figure out somebody is being passive agressive, it takes a long time to intuit the pattern that sombody is just bein an asshole instead of just being scatterbrained, neglectful and bumbling.
I tend to agree with this statement. Because passive-aggression leaves room for doubt about the person's motivation it is entirely possible for the person perceiving it to become hyper-paranoid seeing passive aggression in everything. It is possible for people to not be aware of their anger and to act it out passively and not be able to admit it to themselves, but I think the worse problem is seeing passive-aggression where it isn't happening. My impression is that people can tend to be more fearful and self protective than objective, and so end up perceiving negativity more often than it is actually occurring. This is just because we have the ability to hold onto past scars and project them onto the present repeatedly.

The best way I've found to deal with passive-aggression is to give people the benefit of the doubt. It keeps interpersonal dynamics from deteriorating where there was little or no passive-aggression, and it also slows down the effects of intended passive-aggression.

Edit: It is also a good idea to communicate directly with someone if they send passive-aggressive signals. If something they said or did was hurtful, it could be helpful to talk it out if it is an important relationship.

G

garbage

I think some can take even honest, direct statements of truth as passive-aggressiveness, yeah. With some folks, I've had to clarify--no, really, I did intend to say just the thing that I said.

It's good to figure out how someone is going to take something you say so that you can actually communicate with them, but some people and circumstances make it difficult.

Does that mean that such direct statements are passive-aggressive? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. I'd think that, if the intent isn't there, then it isn't. But it's pretty rare for people to admit up to passive-aggressiveness, so...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that it can go both ways... I think it can be done intentionally, and also someone can be clueless that they are doing it. But either way, it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to feel for the people who are spacey, introverted, and socially "off" at times who are easily misinterpreted, so I was trying to think how one might distinguish the real thing. I would say that passive-aggression would tend to be connected to an attitude of arrogance, withholding with a sense of superiority? Also, a simple approach would also be to determine if the person has a reason to be angry in that instance, although some people are more laid back and don't get upset by the same things as others.

redacted

There has to be intent; the only problem is intent is not always conscious. So a person that is passive aggressive is (by definition) displacing anger, but may or may not be consciously aware they're doing so.

I find that when I'm passive aggressive I'm not very aware (or sometimes I'm aware that I'm angry at the person, but don't realize it's unwarranted by their current actions). It usually takes either someone calling me out or me having enough time for some reflection to realize what's happened.