• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Borderline Personality Disorder

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Diagnostic and Statistical Manual

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders fourth edition, DSM IV-TR, a widely used manual for diagnosing mental disorders, defines borderline personality disorder (in Axis II Cluster B) as:[1][13]

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
Chronic feelings of emptiness
Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

It is a requirement of DSM-IV that a diagnosis of any specific personality disorder also satisfies a set of general personality disorder criteria."

There are the criteria for diagnosis. Must have at least 5 of these for diagnosis. Otherwise, it's issues and can be just that, or another disorder. Keep in mind that many people have one or two of the above occurring at any given time. The behaviors also must be extreme. If it's extreme to you, it could be normal in another household, especially with an istp six and entj eight involved. :D Yelling matches occur in that scenario. :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ah ah ah, it's nice to laugh at personality disorders that affect the lives of tens of hundres of people, and try to minimize them...

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ah ah ah, it's nice to laugh at personality disorders that affect the lives of tens of hundres of people, and try to minimize them...

I wasn't laughing at the bpd itself, but my own situation. I thought that would be clear. And I never tried to minimize anything. Wow. Loosen your sphincter several hundred notches.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Calm down...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
ok both of us eheheee

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13653]ICUP[/MENTION] it is hard to know some of them because I feel they are more subjective.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13653]ICUP[/MENTION] it is hard to know some of them because I feel they are more subjective.

Some of them can be, such as the delusions. Diagnoses are not easy to make. I think the point is "extreme". Are 5 of the above outside of what you consider "normal" and functioning behaviors?

Is the person a furball, or do they just have issues here and there? :D It's also tough to figure out by outsiders because many borderlines like I was are also high-functioning, as in, they can go to school/work etc. and do okay.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely high functioning.

Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, eating disorders, binge eating, substance abuse, reckless driving). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
Chronic feelings of emptiness [not sure about this one, but it is possible]
Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

Uhh....so based on my intuition, pretty much all of them. She made a manipulative suicidal gesture to me the other day.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks to both of you for Disagreeing so civilly.

I wish it could happen much more often. :)

Uhh....so based on my intuition, pretty much all of them. She made a manipulative suicidal gesture to me the other day.

"Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself."

Is it recurrent? If she keeps doing it - check that one positive. :D That is, if you want to stay around long enough to find out. :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My ex-gf was definitely high-functioning, she had a job and all that, no problem - still the symptoms were pretty clear to people close to her...(I think her mother tried to "warn" me once, even)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My ex-gf was definitely high-functioning, she had a job and all that, no problem - still the symptoms were pretty clear to people close to her...(I think her mother tried to "warn" me once, even)

The high functioning makes it difficult.

I wish it could happen much more often. :)

"Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself."

Is it recurrent? If she keeps doing it - check that one positive. :D That is, if you want to stay around long enough to find out. :laugh:

There have been a few gestures, not many.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

My mother still won't accept that I was borderline. Our household was a furball.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The kid I've been dealing with hasn't ever attempted suicide, and I'm not aware that she's cutting or anything like that, but she did a couple of times do this "if you don't pay more attention to me or do what I want, I'm going to 'do something stupid to myself'" thing. Again though, not recently, thankfully. I talked to her dad pretty quick after that too, although her parents are fairly useless in this regard and her family quite dysfunctional (at least it explains quite a lot about her behaviour).

Have you been able to suggest that the person you're dealing with see a therapist or at least a doctor? Is it a situation where you can enlist the help of others in some way? It can be scary to deal with such things alone.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just short for saying I had borderline personality disorder.

Messy. Chaotic. Mean, violent, alcoholic father. Slept in the car as a child, hid from him, crawled out the windows, etc.

I was referring to the past tense. How did you stop being borderline?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was referring to the past tense. How did you stop being borderline?

I had a nice guy take me in, who was healthy. My S.O. (ENTJ 8). I met him in a forum lol. He had strong boundaries, and he worked with me to rid myself of it. I never got any therapy to end it, but I had been seeking help throughout my 20's to no avail. I did not want bpd; it was thrust upon me, and I couldn't find the proper situation and environment necessary to rid myself of it. I also was a member of several forums, and used other resources that provided me with the information necessary to fix the situation.