• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did I just invent a new problem from "big-picture thinking"

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Big picture thinking can be roughly divided to two tendencies, J and P-type. J type asks themselves what they want and how they can do it. P type .. asks something else. I'm not so clear about that. My problem is about J-type big picture thinking.

J type needs to have the full path from point A to B set and clear to start doing anything. Some points can be vague, muddy and unclear, but at least they have to be doable.

Now, with seeing the big picture comes the weaknesses. Once there's a problem - even if its far away - that prevents from reaching the goal, it becomes impossible to decide on the best course of action apart from abandoning the project, overcoming the problem ahead, or waiting. None of those are certain to resolve the problem.

So, in essence, big picture thinking becomes a way to put obstacles to one's own path.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I can see where you are coming from in your thinking and i mostly agree.

I used to be a very strong J. I enjoyed having a plan and following through to completion however when i planned the biggest thing in my life and it didn't go to plan, i looked for alternatives then fled the scene.

Having had everything i believed rocked so badly, i chose to learn from this and adapt my thinking.

And i think that is the key issue (personally) when planning anything, to remain adaptable to ever changing situations.

I spoke to my mum this morning and she told me to pack up and piss off to Canada with the boys. Yet i have nothing prepared other than money to last about 9/10 months. Now i can think this through, and look for multiple scenarios as to what can happen but ultimately if i want this to work, i will have to remain open to suggestions, keep on eye out for possible forks in the road and deal with the situations as they arise.

It's OK to want to be in control of everything but life usually has different plans for us so why not remain adaptable to these changes in regards to the big picture and allow the chips to fall as they may. Chances are everything will turn out OK anyway.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It feels to me that those people who are incapable of thinking the big picture clearly and precisely will overly concentrate on stubborness and "want". Someone who is more big-picture-aware will step out more easily, trying some goals that seem more profitable.

My point being, if someone is pushed to the edge, they will act willfully, stubborn and harsh. It will increase their chances of success. Those situations happen more rarely to big-picture thinkers.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
wow, Im the complete opposite. my once I have Identified a problem, Im better prepared an able maintain. I actively go around looking for problems and attacking them.

in the case of a problem occurring down the road, I`d just attack it right away instead of waiting to occur on it. I think for myself, I would just make the necessary changes as needed. I would prepare alternatives for just incase.

dealing with something immediately allows me to focus my time on other things that might arise later on. nothing irritates me than having to go back and fix something. once should be plenty.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
p big picture thinking has no timeline. Its all possible outcomes happening in one moment and in every moment all possible outcomes can happen. Big picture thinking in that regards is per default always switched on thats why p's aint convinced by definitives.

Mixed with Ti it gains structure and does concentrate on a step-by-step approach. Basically it does that tho too as well cause otherwise it would loose its mind considering all possible options always at once.

Cygnus

Big picture thinking can be roughly divided to two tendencies, J and P-type. J type asks themselves what they want and how they can do it. P type .. asks something else. I'm not so clear about that. My problem is about J-type big picture thinking.

J type needs to have the full path from point A to B set and clear to start doing anything. Some points can be vague, muddy and unclear, but at least they have to be doable.

Now, with seeing the big picture comes the weaknesses. Once there's a problem - even if its far away - that prevents from reaching the goal, it becomes impossible to decide on the best course of action apart from abandoning the project, overcoming the problem ahead, or waiting. None of those are certain to resolve the problem.

So, in essence, big picture thinking becomes a way to put obstacles to one's own path.

I like to think Introverted functions are more big-picture oriented, while Extroverted functions are immediate.
I mean, you can’t be halfway across the Magellanic Clouds and inside your bedroom playing Skee Ball at the same time.

So in P types, Ji gives them a huge internal agenda that’s already mapped out in the abstract, but Pe expresses it only according to the changing environment.
Reality scatters the Concrete into Abstract.

In J types, Pi gives them perceptions of infinite possibilities at once, but Je expresses it as one single concrete thing.
Reality constrains the Abstract into Concrete.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
p big picture thinking has no timeline. Its all possible outcomes happening in one moment and in every moment all possible outcomes can happen. Big picture thinking in that regards is per default always switched on thats why p's aint convinced by definitives.

Mixed with Ti it gains structure and does concentrate on a step-by-step approach. Basically it does that tho too as well cause otherwise it would loose its mind considering all possible options always at once.

This guy sounds like he hasnt fucked in a while