• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Death Anxiety

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
It strikes me as odd that so many here claim to be unafraid of death. I assume it's a form of denial.

A

Anew Leaf

It strikes me as odd that so many here claim to be unafraid of death. I assume it's a form of denial.

What is so odd about it? It is rather ignorant of you to make such assumptions.

Death comes to us all. There is no way to escape it. I have been up close and personal with the process of death and I have seen the agony of living, the frustrations of dying, and the absolute peace and freedom that finally comes with the act of death.

I know that I have people waiting for me on the other side of this life, so what do I have to fear? Instead I fear the unknown element (as I always do... reality doesn't scare me, my own mind does) of how I will die.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
What is so odd about it? It is rather ignorant of you to make such assumptions.

Death comes to us all. There is no way to escape it. I have been up close and personal with the process of death and I have seen the agony of living, the frustrations of dying, and the absolute peace and freedom that finally comes with the act of death.

I know that I have people waiting for me on the other side of this life, so what do I have to fear? Instead I fear the unknown element (as I always do... reality doesn't scare me, my own mind does) of how I will die.

thinking it's odd makes me ignorant? Don't make your point by being insulting.
Yeah, I've had plenty of experience with death too, and I still have the 'ignorant' opinion that young people cliaiming to not fear it is odd. Opinions differ.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Dying is a much less scary idea to me than suffering in this life with no hope of recovery. If I were diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow, I'd certainly like to have the option of euthanasia and die a quick, painless death than drag out a terminal illness. I don't see what's odd about that...

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's just a fear of the end of self. If you think about it, you experience the end of self a number of times in your lifetime. No denial involved.

A

Anew Leaf

thinking it's odd makes me ignorant? Don't make your point by being insulting.
Yeah, I've had plenty of experience with death too, and I still have the 'ignorant' opinion that young people cliaiming to not fear it is odd. Opinions differ.

I was referring to the part you are ignoring: "I assume it's a form of denial."

I find that to be an ignorant statement.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I was referring to the part you are ignoring: "I assume it's a form of denial."

I find that to be an ignorant statement.

I replied to what you wrote, not what you think you implied. You wrote "What is so odd about it? It is rather ignorant of you to make such assumptions". That's exactly what you wrote. So learn how to express yourself more clearly.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Life is too short to always think about death but sometimes life is too short for us not to think about death.

A

Anew Leaf

I replied to what you wrote, not what you think you implied. You wrote "What is so odd about it? It is rather ignorant of you to make such assumptions". That's exactly what you wrote. So learn how to express yourself more clearly.

:laugh:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Dying is a much less scary idea to me than suffering in this life with no hope of recovery. If I were diagnosed with terminal cancer tomorrow, I'd certainly like to have the option of euthanasia and die a quick, painless death than drag out a terminal illness. I don't see what's odd about that...

Because your not suppose to just give up, there's always a fight even if your doctor thinks you're gonna die.

wolfy

awsm

I was afraid of death off and on when I was younger, I'm not that old now, 41. But I just feel like it is inevitable now, you can't choose when you die and you do your best to stay alive. In the immoral words of Timothy Leary "I'm going to live forever, or die trying".

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
L
Because your not suppose to just give up, there's always a fight even if your doctor thinks you're gonna die.

Who decided that you're not supposed to give up? Why is that way right and euthanasia wrong? Why put one's self and family through years of hardship? If someone decides they want to try to fight because they want to, fine. But no one should feel like they have to endure suffering just because society decides fighting was more noble than accepting death and going with peace and dignity. IMHO.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just a fear of the end of self. If you think about it, you experience the end of self a number of times in your lifetime. No denial involved.

yes, if we want to be conceptual about it, change is a form of death -- the old self dies and is cast aside so the new self can live. Either we're already dead, or we're constantly molting as we change and grow. Death is just another one of those large transitions, where no one is quite sure what happens next... although the body itself is dead.

I think learning to embrace change and let go of old selves in my life has helped me fear death less. i know the futility of holding onto things past their time.

Who decided that you're not supposed to give up? Why is that way right and euthanasia wrong? Why put one's self and family through years of hardship? If someone decides they want to try to fight because they want to, fine. But no one should feel like they have to endure suffering just because society decides fighting was more noble than accepting death and going with peace and dignity. IMHO.

I agree. maybe for one person, the desire to fight is a choice of courage; for others, it might just be conformity or fear, or even just being directed by others. I don't think anyone is obligated to fight, I think it depends on the person and situation and which choice is more of a growing experience. But in the end, everyone still gets to choose, and to take responsibility for that choice.

I think the problem people have with your post lies in that last point.
Maybe for some it's a form of denial; for other, it's a form of acceptance.

Do I need to be more nuanced about it? I don't want to die, and yes, I can feel some fear over wondering "what happens next." But it is not a fear that is going to drive me; I am not going to prioritize "running from death" as the main goal of my life, nor sit around immobilized because one day I am going to die. So that kind of fear, I see as negligible; it's overridden by courage to live fully regardless of the inevitability of death.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes, if we want to be conceptual about it, change is a form of death -- the old self dies and is cast aside so the new self can live. Either we're already dead, or we're constantly molting as we change and grow. Death is just another one of those large transitions, where no one is quite sure what happens next... although the body itself is dead.

I think learning to embrace change and let go of old selves in my life has helped me fear death less. i know the futility of holding onto things past their time.

I agree. maybe for one person, the desire to fight is a choice of courage; for others, it might just be conformity or fear, or even just being directed by others. I don't think anyone is obligated to fight, I think it depends on the person and situation and which choice is more of a growing experience. But in the end, everyone still gets to choose, and to take responsibility for that choice.

Ah yes, I know my old self exists very little in what I am right now. That's what I meant.

But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But also, I've passed out, got knocked out, and go to sleep on a daily basis. At worst death is like that, except you just don't wake up again. There will be nobody to be afraid then, so why feel sorry for that non-person?

Heh. Yup, sleep is another one of those things -- every night we let go of ourselves. The miracle is that in the morning we're back. Amazing, huh? And I just got knocked out by an IV a few weeks ago -- i have to say, that's the weirdest to see the room swim for about 5 seconds, then suddenly it's hours later.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
L

You don't just go off killing yourself as soon as your doctor tells you you're going to die that's just ridiculous, if there is one thing you have is a fight to survive. I don't believe in giving up but if you do then that's your way of living and your choice. There are definatly alot of variables when it comes to euthanasia.

A

Anew Leaf

L

I agree with you. I'd rather get it over with if it was going to be pain dragging days with no hope.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't just go off killing yourself as soon as your doctor tells you you're going to die that's just ridiculous,

I agree. At least pay your medical bills first.:dry:

Flux

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am more afraid of what happens after, not so much the actual event. I'd hate to die in my sleep and just sort of slip away into nothing and not put up a fight. It is weird because thinking about not existing fills me with anxiety. Well, not existing after I die ... for some reason thinking about not existing before I was born doesn't produce the same feeling. Just not being conscious is mind boggling to me.

I was never afraid of death or dying or even what came after when I was young because I was religious. But, I was extremely frustrated with my situation and didn't really seem to care because there were no consequences for dying (I mean the reward was heaven!) But now, I am much more afraid of it because there is so much I want to do, experience, and live for. Its funny how things change.