• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temporary substitute for ADHD meds?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does anyone know of things to help you focus? I ran out of Ritalin, my stupid shrink is apparently away on vacation, because he's not returning my phone calls (for over 2 weeks now), and now today, I've run out.

Besides caffeine, does anyone have ideas to help them focus? OTC pills they can take? WHY can't Ritalin be OTC?

I'm trying to write a term paper, but I can't focus. I'm just LOOKING and not seeing. sigh

sculpting

try sudafed-the real stuff from behind the pharma counter, not the generic on the shelf.

You might also consider some of the products containing herbal stimulants, not sure of details on those.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually as far as OTC pills go, there was one that I just tried that is one of those vitamin suppliments for mental performance and it had a shockingly strong effect.... I was a ton more motivated from it. Unfortunately though those tend to have caffeine.

Certain sorts of meditation and deep breathing have helped in the past. Deep breathing is an easy one to start out with and perhaps summon enough focus to at least go on to things like meditation, exercise, and finding non-caffeinated suppliments.

Best of luck (and thanks for reminding me to do these things myself :laugh:)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually as far as OTC pills go, there was one that I just tried that is one of those vitamin suppliments for mental performance and it had a shockingly strong effect.... I was a ton more motivated from it. Unfortunately though those tend to have caffeine.

Certain sorts of meditation and deep breathing have helped in the past. Deep breathing is an easy one to start out with and perhaps summon enough focus to at least go on to things like meditation, exercise, and finding non-caffeinated suppliments.

Best of luck (and thanks for reminding me to do these things myself :laugh:)

OMG what was that pill you took???

I can have caffeine - it's just that, taken alone, it doesn't really affect me. Since I've always consumed caffeine AND taken the Ritalin. :doh:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh I see what you mean now... This is the one I took. Trying not to get too excited about it because it was only one time but I could see in my case this combined with the other stuff helping enough that I don't have to get medically evaluated and have to get prescribed stuff.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Amphetamine, ecstacy, cannabis

D

Dali

^

Yeah, no.

I can't quite tell whether you're serious or being facetious though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Guaranà is usually much stronger than caffeine, but it depends on how much caffeine you're used to digest....pills or liquid coffees?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Too strong. I only take 5 mg of Ritalin.

Opposite effect. :dry:

You dont have to take alot of amphetamine, also ritalin is a type of amphetamine, so is ecstacy, chemical effect that can be used to treat adhd are similar in all 3 of these.

If you get the opposite effect from cannabis and ecstacy, are you sure you even have adhd? Usually those work as good medicines for it. I even used to know a guy who used cannabis mainly to focus(and for fun at the side) because he had adhd

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
^

Yeah, no.

I can't quite tell whether you're serious or being facetious though.

Im serious, ritalin is the same stuff basically as other amphetamines, they give similar results for adhd. The only big differwnce is that ritalin is a prescription drug.

Cannabis has other ways to help with adhd, but works too, quite many people actually prefer cannabis over ritalin, because they can get as good results with it and without using amphetamines, which are more harmful and addictive than cannabis

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Im serious, ritalin is the same stuff basically as other amphetamines, they give similar results for adhd. The only big differwnce is that ritalin is a prescription drug.

Cannabis has other ways to help with adhd, but works too, quite many people actually prefer cannabis over ritalin, because they can get as good results with it and without using amphetamines, which are more harmful and addictive than cannabis

In any case, I already smoke regularly. It just makes me jolly and dreamy. Not helpful for term papers.

And md ma just makes me contently...amused. Idk it's like aware acceptance. I don't get that sober, sharp focus that I get from Ritalin. It makes me very P.

And I've only messed around with the raw amps once....and that was no bueno. Even though I had a low dose.

I might just go for the Sudafed idea.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In any case, I already smoke regularly. It just makes me jolly and dreamy. Not helpful for term papers.

And md ma just makes me contently...amused. Idk it's like aware acceptance. I don't get that sober, sharp focus that I get from Ritalin. It makes me very P.

And I've only messed around with the raw amps once....and that was no bueno. Even though I had a low dose.

I might just go for the Sudafed idea.

Have you payed attention to effects of different strains? Some indica(or mixes high in cbd, or maybe not too high) might do a better job.

D

Dali

Speaking from experience, ecstasy gets me in this space where my spirits are crazy high but absolutely no work can get done. It basically ramps up my ADHD X1000. Cannabis relaxes me, a little too much. I go to an AADHD support group once in a while and (quoting people's experience), out of a group of about 18 people, only one said that weed helped control his symptoms.

Like mrcockburn said, it stimulates one too, yes, but there's this focus and concentration that Ritalin gives (most) AADHD sufferers that cannot be replicated with the substances you mentioned.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Keep slapping yourself in the face.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, instead of taking anything illegal or sitting here for hours trying to figure it out. Get up, do 30-60 minutes of exercise at a decent pace and then drink some water and try again. Exercise can be very good for calming the mind. If it doesn't work you are still distracted but you got a workout in. If it works you can send me whatever your co-pay would be at your shrink - or donate it to TypeC ;)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, instead of taking anything illegal or sitting here for hours trying to figure it out. Get up, do 30-60 minutes of exercise at a decent pace and then drink some water and try again. Exercise can be very good for calming the mind. If it doesn't work you are still distracted but you got a workout in. If it works you can send me whatever your co-pay would be at your shrink - or donate it to TypeC ;)

meh. I got the paper done by brute force early last night anyhow. It just took me twice as long as it should've.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
You don't have to wait for your specific doctor to return. Any doctor can prescribe Ritalin. Go to a doc in the box place or just call up a local family physician or internist and ask if they are seeing new patients. Some will even see walk-ins the same day.