• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people so ashamed of themselves?

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
I feel ashamed if I don't know about something, less knowledge and incompetence in certain things.

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
Shame is a useless waste of emotion. If actions were so negative, remorse, restitution and self-forgiveness are better uses of time and energy.

At certain degree, it helps for self improvement.

redacted

Only on a very limited scope. If it takes shame to make people want to continue growing, then they're a write-off anyways.

I don't see how the scope is that limited. If a person thinks they don't need to grow in a certain way, they'll tend not to question their actions in that limited scope. But if something creates shame in that scope, it causes dissonance that opens up the person's basic assumptions for questioning.

No one leaves all of their assumptions up for question. Sometimes it takes external forces to change that. Without the capacity for shame, the external forces have fewer effects.

People want to live up to their ideals. When they fall short, they feel something negative and attempt to change themselves OR they change their ideals. Without shame, changing ideals to match actions is the path of least resistance. With shame, people are much more likely to change their actions.

rav3n

I don't see how the scope is that limited. If a person thinks they don't need to grow in a certain way, they'll tend not to question their actions in that limited scope. But if something creates shame in that scope, it causes dissonance that opens up the person's basic assumptions for questioning.

No one leaves all of their assumptions up for question. Sometimes it takes external forces to change that. Without the capacity for shame, the external forces have fewer effects.

People want to live up to their ideals. When they fall short, they feel something negative and attempt to change themselves OR they change their ideals. Without shame, changing ideals to match actions is the path of least resistance. With shame, people are much more likely to change their actions.
This is the glaring difference between Fe and Fi. Fe needs external motivation and Fi motivates from within.

That said, what's up with ENFPs (Fi-aux), where they morph to appeal and attract? *scratches head in puzzlement*

redacted

This is the glaring difference between Fe and Fi. Fe needs external motivation and Fi motivates from within.

That said, what's up with ENFPs (Fi-aux), where they morph to appeal and attract? *scratches head in puzzlement*

But Feeling isn't emotion. Feeling is limited to the conscious side of value judgments. The biases involved and underlying emotions are outside of the realm of Feeling.

It's a mistake to say that Fi users aren't emotionally affected by external factors.