• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Respect

Mole

Permabanned
I was surprised to find that the father of the nice Japanese girl in my class spoke to her in an abusive, disrespectful and bad way.

And I was even more surprised to discover that she always spoke to her father with respect, even when he spoke badly to her.

So over coffee in the Refectory one day I broached the matter to her. I asked her, quite simply, why she spoke so respectfully to her father when he spoke so disrespectfully to her?

And without pausing, she said she was practising. She was practising speaking with respect to her father for the time she would meet a man she did respect.

And of course her answer earned my respect.

But I didn't know whether she was speaking to me out of respect or whether she was just practising.

So when you address me here, are you speaking to me out of respect, or are you just practising for the time you meet someone you do respect?

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting... I think I always treat everyone with respect when I talk to them, though I can be a little cold at times. I think she did give you respect when you talked to her.

Mole

Permabanned
If you please.

Interesting... I think I always treat everyone with respect when I talk to them, though I can be a little cold at times. I think she did give you respect when you talked to her.

Well, the Rockies are a little cold at times. And at other times they are like large musical notes. But I would like you to tell me what it is like to compose. Do imagine yourself composing and tell me just what it is like. Take me, Spaceskye, on a composing trip, take me on composing trip with you - if you please.

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, the Rockies are a little cold at times. And at other times they are like large musical notes. But I would like you to tell me what it is like to compose. Do imagine yourself composing and tell me just what it is like. Take me, Spaceskye, on a composing trip, take me on composing trip with you - if you please.
Hm. Well. (This is very random, xD it may be a test of my respect.)

Well the composing inspiration can come to me anytime... I can be intentionally working on something, or just practicing, and suddenly I find a good melody or rhythm I'd like to work with. I take it from there, I mostly just experiment when creating the melodies. Sometimes they're easy to form, others, I have to make a few mistakes to find the right one. If I'm working on a lyrical song, or suddenly I get an idea of what kind of lyrics I'd like to use for the song, I sing the melody while singing the lyrics (if that makes sense). Then I'll either come up with a composition to be the background for the lyrics, or add chords to it. Then once I have all those things down-- the song could be considered done, it's very easy to continue to add the lyrics or chords then on...

Now I want to make a song that's inspired by the Rockies as large musical notes... I'll work on that...

:headphne:

Mole

Permabanned
The Duet

Hm. Well. (This is very random, xD it may be a test of my respect.)

Well the composing inspiration can come to me anytime... I can be intentionally working on something, or just practicing, and suddenly I find a good melody or rhythm I'd like to work with. I take it from there, I mostly just experiment when creating the melodies. Sometimes they're easy to form, others, I have to make a few mistakes to find the right one. If I'm working on a lyrical song, or suddenly I get an idea of what kind of lyrics I'd like to use for the song, I sing the melody while singing the lyrics (if that makes sense). Then I'll either come up with a composition to be the background for the lyrics, or add chords to it. Then once I have all those things down-- the song could be considered done, it's very easy to continue to add the lyrics or chords then on...

Now I want to make a song that's inspired by the Rockies as large musical notes... I'll work on that...

:headphne:

It's true, the Rockies are rather large musical notes, while our Great Dividing Range is rather flat. The mountains have been worn down by time, and now they are so friendly, we can walk to the top.

Perhaps you might be inspired to write a duet - the Rockies and the Great Dividing Range meet with two quite disparate voices, both four thousand miles long, and although the Rockies are the taller, the Great Dividing Range is the older and wiser.

Of course living on opposite sides of the Earth, they have never met and each thought they were unique until you composed their duet.

Little_Sticks

I was surprised to find that the father of the nice Japanese girl in my class spoke to her in an abusive, disrespectful and bad way.

And I was even more surprised to discover that she always spoke to her father with respect, even when he spoke badly to her.

So over coffee in the Refectory one day I broached the matter to her. I asked her, quite simply, why she spoke so respectfully to her father when he spoke so disrespectfully to her?

And without pausing, she said she was practising. She was practising speaking with respect to her father for the time she would meet a man she did respect.

And of course her answer earned my respect.

But I didn't know whether she was speaking to me out of respect or whether she was just practising.

So when you address me here, are you speaking to me out of respect, or are you just practising for the time you meet someone you do respect?

That kind of seems counter-intuitive. She's learning how to respect people that disrespect her because she will then respect someone who is worthy? But then she'll also respect those that are unworthy...what's the point again?

Mole

Permabanned
That kind of seems counter-intuitive. She's learning how to respect people that disrespect her because she will then respect someone who is worthy? But then she'll also respect those that are unworthy...what's the point again?

The point is that she showed great moral fortitude.

And she showed moral fortitude because she practised.

And she not only practised, she practised in difficult circumstances.

And the further point is that Central provides us with difficult circumstances in which to practise moral fortitude.

And practice make perfect.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Agreed.

OR: "She showed moral fortitude because SHE CHOSE TO."

Agreed.

And the further point is that Central provides us with difficult circumstances in which to practise moral fortitude.

Or, to play devil's advocate, one might say: "TypC gives us circumstances LESS DIFFICULT than those that would be encountered IRL to practice moral fortitude," right?

Close. Actually, it's "PERFECT practice makes perfect."
Practicing something 1,000 times the wrong way will not make you a master of it.
Practicing something 1,000 times the right way will improve your skill significantly.

Interesting thread, Victor.

:solidarity:

-Alex

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hm in a way it seems like you asked a question, Victor, then educated us by correcting us answering your own question. So thank you :)

Mole

Permabanned
The Pouch of a Wombat

Hm in a way it seems like you asked a question, Victor, then educated us by correcting us answering your own question. So thank you :)

I must admit I would prefer the original post to inspire an imaginative response rather than discussing the point or arguing about whether my response is right or wrong. That is why I tried to inspire you to write a musical response.

I mean there is no point to music, and music is neither right nor wrong.

And in the same way we are neither right nor wrong, rather we are ends in ourselves. And we don't have a point and there is no need to justify our existence.

And the Great Dividing Range has told me that they feel comforted that they are balanced by the Rockies on the other side of the Earth.

And while the Rockies may be musical notes, the Great Dividing Range plays great booming notes just below the threshold of hearing - as warm as a wombat's pouch.

Mole

Permabanned
Music and Water

I am comforted to live in the arms of the Great Dividing Range. To my east is the Dividing Range proper, and to my west is an arm of the Dividing Range called the Brindabella Range. And we drink from both, the purest and clearest water in the world.

And with the help of Spaceskye I have been able to hear the deep notes of the Great Dividing Range and the exquisite piping of the Brindabellas.

And although the Great Dividing Range is 4,000 kilometres long, the Brindabellas are far more managable. In fact I have been able to bury myself in the Brindabellas at my favourite spot, Condor Creek, so beautiful the sunlit creek steals the soul.

The Brindabellas are within sight of Canberra and snow covered in winter, and as I drink their waters, I can hear the elegant piping of the Brindabellas and the grand deep notes of the Great Dividng Range.

Little_Sticks

I think I kind of get what you're saying, I just don't think it should be an absolutely kind of thing. If she takes this to the extreme then she's really learning to disrespect herself. This is hard to explain, but I think I disagree that she would be moral if this happens to her in the extreme. Does this cause her despair or sadness?

Little_Sticks

If you asked her what it would mean to disrespect oneself, maybe this would all make a lot more sense?

Mole

Permabanned
I think I kind of get what you're saying, I just don't think it should be an absolutely kind of thing. If she takes this to the extreme then she's really learning to disrespect herself. This is hard to explain, but I think I disagree that she would be moral if this happens to her in the extreme. Does this cause her despair or sadness?

Of course it is an apocrypal story. And being apocryphal it juxtaposes the disrespect of the father with the respect of the daughter for dramatic effect.

And the surprise in the story is that the daughter, not the father, is in charge.