• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tone of Voice

Mole

Permabanned
It is not what they say to us, it is their tone of voice that reveals how they feel about us.

And when the tone of voice is dominating, we know they are seeking to dominate us.

This is noted all over the world and in particular by Lotte, known as CatSchroedinger, in her youtube video, just click on -

http://www.youtube.com/user/CatSchroedinger#p/a/u/0/hcz1gDq2S84

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
Really?......people always say tell me to speak up when I try to say something because I talk too low........or they just completely don't understand what I say(mumbles that make sense to me). (╯ಊ╰)

Mole

Permabanned
Really?......people always say tell me to speak up when I try to say something because I talk too low........or they just completely don't understand what I say(mumbles that make sense to me). (╯ಊ╰)

We can show deference or dominance in our tone. However the citizens of the USA are seen throughout the world as showing dominance.

However I have no doubt you are an exception to the rule.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
Well yeah, I do know the type because I see them all the time. I've never really been to another country besides mexico, so I thought that these loud obnoxious people were just everywhere? ....is it only in the U.S.? (¬▂¬)

Lark

I think that's old news, its tone of voice, facial expression or body language and finally a much smaller significance attaches itself to what you're actually saying. Especially in any kind of stressful, agitated or confrontational state of mind.

Mole

Permabanned
Well yeah, I do know the type because I see them all the time. I've never really been to another country besides mexico, so I thought that these loud obnoxious people were just everywhere? ....is it only in the U.S.? (¬▂¬)

Well here it is just not done to raise one's voice in public.

Mole

Permabanned
Cultural Differences

However it is far more complex. For when Americans are being deferential, they are seen as being dominant by us. And when we are being deferential, we are seen by Americans as being dominant. And so we have endless misunderstandings.

This is because we have leanrt different ways of expressing dominance and deference.

For instance we all show deference by exhibiting childlike behaviour. But American children entertain the parent, while our parents entertain the children.

So when Americans are being loud and entertaining, they are exhibiting childlike behaviour in order to show deference. However we interpret this loud and entertaining behaviour as parental behaviour and so we see it as dominating.

And strange to our minds, when we exhibit childlike behaviour such as listening and being attentive and appreciative, we are seen by Americans as showing parental behaviour.

We discovered this in WW II when we met Americans in large numbers for the first time. And it was plain we had some problems. In our misunderstanding we called the Americans, loud mouthed Yanks who were over-sexed, over-paid and over here.

So we commissioned a study to find what the problem was.

And we discovered we had different child rearing practices. And we had learnt different ways of expressing deference and dominance.

Unfortunately such misunderstandings continue today, and as the Americans are going to use us as a military base to confront China in the South China Sea, the misunderstandings are set to sharpen.

And unfortunately Americans see us as little America, whereas they should be schooled in cultural differences before they arrive.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
Well you kind of need to be extroverted(loud) to survive(mold) in America. Certainly though there are people who do not give into this mold. I understand you might have had poor experiences with an ignorantly ill contented person who was obviously not mentally equipped to handle being an ambassadorial figure of ones own nation. Perhaps this impression left such a sour taste for you regarding America and its inhabitants, but I implore you to reconsider your thinking. Those people are merely a tiny portion compared to the millions of others who live in the U.S. that are quite sensible. Labels are bad :sadbanana:

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
If that is all you have to say about what I wrote then whatever. That's not the point at all.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this problem could be vanquished if everyone talked in monotone