• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Existential Loneliness

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
This is the perfect feeling of what I have had for the longest time...

Mole

Permabanned
Marinate

This is the perfect feeling of what I have had for the longest time...

It's a feeling, like any feeling. And it's your feeling. You can do with it what you wish. Or are you going to tell me you are completely dominated by your feelings?

When we are babies and children, we can't modulate our own feelings so we rely upon our parents to modulate our feelings for us. And as we mature, we learn to modulate our own feelings ourselves.

However some of us never learn and constantly look for someone to resue us from our own feelings, and when they don't appear like Mum and Dad used to, we marinate in our existential loneliness.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's a feeling, like any feeling. And it's your feeling. You can do with it what you wish. Or are you going to tell me you are completely dominated by your feelings?

When we are babies and children, we can't modulate our own feelings so we rely upon our parents to modulate our feelings for us. And as we mature, we learn to modulate our own feelings ourselves.

However some of us never learn and constantly look for someone to resue us from our own feelings, and when they don't appear like Mum and Dad used to, we marinate in our existential loneliness.
I used to be as (in my opinion) "dominated by these feelings" as you suggested but not anymore. Now, I just feel nothing about it. I have one good friend that I really trust and another online friend that I trust a lot. However, even with them in my life and a loving family I feel lonely but I just live with it. I can't explain it since I feel I am "lucky" to have them, I shouldn't feel "lonely" but I do.

Mole

Permabanned
I used to be as (in my opinion) "dominated by these feelings" as you suggested but not anymore. Now, I just feel nothing about it. I have one good friend that I really trust and another online friend that I trust a lot. However, even with them in my life and a loving family I feel lonely but I just live with it. I can't explain it since I feel I am "lucky" to have them, I shouldn't feel "lonely" but I do.

I've been lonely in my life and have felt the pangs of loneliness. The way out for me was to start to share myself with others. So I attended an encounter group for two years to learn to share myself with others, and to help others share themselves too.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Has anyone else experienced it? It's the kind of loneliness that doesn't go away by being with other people. For me, it's the feeling that I have never, and will never, be able to connect with a single human being in any truly meaningful way. It makes friendships and social interactions seem only surface deep, unsatisfying, and ultimately meaningless. I used to think that I felt lonely because I was a recluse and didn't have enough friends, but I've found that even after making more friends and socializing daily, the loneliness hasn't gone away at all.

A subject described in existential fiction.

Moravia
Camus
Sartre
Koestler
Orwell

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been lonely in my life and have felt the pangs of loneliness. The way out for me was to start to share myself with others. So I attended an encounter group for two years to learn to share myself with others, and to help others share themselves too.

It is called allocentrism. :)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Has anyone else experienced it? It's the kind of loneliness that doesn't go away by being with other people. For me, it's the feeling that I have never, and will never, be able to connect with a single human being in any truly meaningful way. It makes friendships and social interactions seem only surface deep, unsatisfying, and ultimately meaningless. I used to think that I felt lonely because I was a recluse and didn't have enough friends, but I've found that even after making more friends and socializing daily, the loneliness hasn't gone away at all.

Of course I know that feeling. It pretty much defines my life.

But the thing is, even if all the connections we have with others aren't meaningful in a universal or long-term way.. we can still enjoy one another. We can make each other laugh, we can make each other feel needed, and we can worry about/care for each other... we can even make people feel included, relevant, and special.

Really, I think that's the ultimate meaning of our connections to others. We can evoke certain feelings in one another. Even if we're all alone in the end, we can provide some form of solace and distraction for one another along the road.

I hope that helps. :)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I must be lucky if I'm not feeling this. I like being alone, I can be alone whenever I want. I also like being with other people and getting an insight into their life and sharing my own, even if it's only little by little. I always feel satisfied after socialization.

Mole

Permabanned
Teen Spirit

I must admit existential loneliness smells to me of teen spirit.