• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thin-slicing

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-slicing

I've been reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and the examples he given show that think-slicing has it's benefits. Bloody good read.

Are you someone who thin-slices or do you prefer to weigh up a decision with facts, experience and plenty of time?

I used to thin-slice and allow the dice to roll as they may and i enjoyed that way of thinking and it suited my life style and personality. These days i tend to give myself plenty of time to come to a conclusion but unfortunately i rarely do come to a conclusion as i am able to weigh up both sides which ultimately leaves me in a neutral place which doesn't really help.

Please add any more info you find relevant as i'm loving this subject at the moment.

Thanks in advance :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting article. Sounds like thin-slicing might be correlated with Ne?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^I don't know--I'd guess it's more a Je characteristic? I'm pretty sure I do it a lot.....in the name of efficiency. :mellow:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've been reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and the examples he given show that think-slicing has it's benefits. Bloody good read.
I love that book! :)

Are you someone who thin-slices or do you prefer to weigh up a decision with facts, experience and plenty of time?
I keep the immediate instincts in mind but I don't make important decisions based on purely them. Although I guess if I get a strong reaction about something I'm more inclined to investigate if that reaction is apt or at least keep my mind open to the possibility of it being so.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get that feeling all the time, the more I think about something, the more convoluted it becomes.

Individuals also believe that the effects of the phenomenon known as déjà vu happen within the same time frame of thin-slicing and might also have a direct correlation.

No way o_O
That's so cool that it can't be true, I blame these so called "individuals".

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I prefer thinly sliced meat but thickly sliced cheese. The perfect sandwich is all in how the meat folds, and when it's thin you get more creative/robust folding.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thin-slicing can't be magic. I imagine something like that needs to be trained. Is it maybe a just an ability developed at maturity when enough patterns have been observed and conclusions being experienced, i.e. Thick-slicing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I prefer thinly sliced meat but thickly sliced cheese. The perfect sandwich is all in how the meat folds, and when it's thin you get more creative/robust folding.

:hifive: me too. i like shaved, actually, when it comes to meat, but they get pissed at you at the deli counter because it takes so much longer.

as for regular thin-slicing - i'd actually guess it as Ni. i'm totally better at broad patterns than quick recognition.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thin-sliced meat yes, but everyone knows cheese tastes best when grated.

Thin-slicing can't be magic. I imagine something like that needs to be trained. Is it maybe a just an ability developed at maturity when enough patterns have been observed and conclusions being experienced, i.e. Thick-slicing.
Yes, in the book it described people who were quite knowledgeable in an area that had become highly attuned to the subtleties. One example was a tennis expert (I think he had coached professionally for years and/or played professionally) watching players serving on TV. He could predict to a high accuracy before they had even struck the ball whether they would double fault or not. He had no idea why he could tell and spent a lot of time trying to work out what he was picking up on.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
One time my wife and I went to the races and were picking boxed trifectas using a kind of thinslicing by briefing glancing at their placings in the past five races, there was no logic to it yet we won pretty much every bet and went home richer.