• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does mbti take away the idea of free will?

F

figsfiggyfigs

Oh yes, I've gotten quite annoyed with a few people on the forum for constantly using their type/enneagram/colour of shit to excuse their behaviour.

Nakawaka

MBTI Type
free
Nah, you may as well say knowing your horoscopes take away "free will". It can always be in your will to submit :D

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yes, I've gotten quite annoyed with a few people on the forum for constantly using their type/enneagram/colour of shit to excuse their behaviour.

So ENTJ of you.

redacted

Any theory of cognition "takes away" the idea of free will.

Free will is an illusion anyway.

ESFP

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Yes, MBTI takes away the idea of free will. It should just be used to describe and classify people's behaviour, but not to explain it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think free will is an illusion, it is only a part of the human psyche. But it is ideally free, in other words, if we were completely freed from all kinds of intrusions and influences upon our will. As an ideal, free will is not therefore to be considered illusory. It is real to the extent that you make it real in your life as an effective force toward personal progress.

If you want the MBTI to limit you, you are free to do so. This knowledge can cut both ways. Or you may see the MBTI as only doling out labels for what are only temporary states of being. With knowledge of typology you are free to pursue different, possibly better, ways of being.

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
Of course not. This is just a form of awareness. Being aware of your personality type and others does not take away your free will. It really shouldn't.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, but sometimes, having free will makes you difficult to type.

That's why I can't decide on a type.

G

Ginkgo

Sometimes, people don't pay attention to their options until they realize they have them. The idea of free will is an empowering force, because the more aware you are of your options, the more leverage you will have in making decisions. If you don't believe in free will, you don't believe we have options. In all practicality, denying we have options is, in most cases, a sort of intellectual dishonesty that ignores our tendency to seriously hypothesize about potential outside of a deterministic universe.

That doesn't mean that those who argue against free will aren't searching for truth, or even that free will exists at all. I just think it's an all too human oddity to deny something that is necessary for one to believe if they are to function according to the deterministic universe's chain of causation.

A rigid, intellectually honest denial of free will tends to make a person curl up and cease to be. When I talk with others, I hold them accountable as though they had free will. I remind them of their choices and desires. Basically, a huge chunk of my worldview takes for granted an assumption that free will exists, and it has helped me much more than a lurching sort of fatalism would.

S

Sniffles

Sometimes, people don't pay attention to their options until they realize they have them. The idea of free will is an empowering force, because the more aware you are of your options, the more leverage you will have in making decisions. If you don't believe in free will, you don't believe we have options. In all practicality, denying we have options is, in most cases, a sort of intellectual dishonesty that ignores our tendency to seriously hypothesize about potential outside of a deterministic universe.

That doesn't mean that those who argue against free will aren't searching for truth, or even that free will exists at all. I just think it's an all too human oddity to deny something that is necessary for one to believe if they are to function according to the deterministic universe's chain of causation.

A rigid, intellectually honest denial of free will tends to make a person curl up and cease to be.

Pffttt......You're just saying this cause your genes made you do it.

KDude

Yes, but ironically, you can choose to not care about MBTI.

Mole

Permabanned
Group Trance and Free Will

A laser shone on our hand won't hurt us. But two lasers shone on the same spot will burn us.

In the same way one trance won't hurt us, but two intersecting trances takes away our free will and leaves us open to suggestion.

For instance, addiction is described as two intersecting trances - so that when we end one trance, we enter the second. And when we end the second, we enter the first, and there is no way out and we are addicted.

And that is why we are here - to enter two group trances.

The first is mbti and the second is sexual titillation.

Most of us go to church, or the football, or a concert, for group trance. But we come to Central.

We can always tell when we are in a trance for we resent anyone disturbing the trance state. So anyone disturbing the trance state here is accused of being 'off topic'.

And we know that group trance hates the odd girl out, or the odd person out, and they are singled out for emotional bullying and social exclusion. And how self righteous we are as we hurt and bully the odd person out.

And it is where mbti and titillation intersect, they overwhelm our free will.

And being group trances, they give us individual deniability as well as strengthening the trance.