• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The perception of duality

T

ThatGirl

Modern, and eastern religions often promote a sense of duality, even modern science and thinking expectations, objectivity, require a sense of understanding one thing, and its opposite.

My question is, how do you feel about this? How do you feel about never knowing anything beautiful in its own right.

Instead seeing the ugly as the balance of the good or vice versa. True objectivity, duality, means, nothing is ever something. There is no fear, but also, nothing to enjoy. No good.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, so you mean instead of painting something beautiful, you're supposed to chuck a few rotten tomatoes into it to balance it out? I think it might depend on what you apply this too, if it's a characteristic, then it's likely that the person who has tried to reach both extremes (like being greedy and then being generous) would be wiser, or more capable of balance than the one who takes one aspect to the limit. I think the limit is great if you're trying to be competitive with your fellow human beings, like hitting the limit of skill, but it is also important for us to work together and be considerate. The best way to do that is though being passive, ie. balanced. My father told me once that religion is often created to control the populace, this sounds like it would do just that very well, but not necessarily benefit you individually... although unity does have it's benefits.

I'm guessing I'm missing the point, no?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're kinda misusing the term duality, but I know what you are saying. Most bodies of thought that bring attention to duality is to break it down. The thing is, duality actually allows you to take something alone for what it is and appreciate it, but the process of doing so isolates it as if it were something and not part of a whole. Erradication of duality is understanding how everything is connected, which is a very beautiful thing. People who are very attached to their (imagined) individuality usually feel threatened by this.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can't enjoy the beautiful things in life without experiencing ugly things to compare them to. Otherwise you'll get used to beauty and start taking it for granted, and pretty soon nothing will be beautiful.

So in other words, I'm okay with any resulting philosophical sacrifices.

Mole

Permabanned
Dualism and the New Age

All of mathematics starts with an injunction. And the injunction is, make a distinction.

And a distinction distinguishes between two sides. So a distinction is inherently dualistic.

So it is no surprise to find that we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see; and the finer the distinctions the finer our perceptions.

It is fashionable in the New Age to sneer at dualism. But dualism has enabled us to see a billion galaxies, to see into the heart of an atom. and now to create artificial photosynthesis.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All of mathematics starts with an injunction. And the injunction is, make a distinction.

And a distinction distinguishes between two sides. So a distinction is inherently dualistic.

So it is no surprise to find that we perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see; and the finer the distinctions the finer our perceptions.

It is fashionable in the New Age to sneer at dualism. But dualism has enabled us to see a billion galaxies, to see into the heart of an atom. and now to create artificial photosynthesis.

Lol, fashionable for a couple thousand years. It's not about picking one over the other, it's just about the nature of how things exist.

Mole

Permabanned
Lol, fashionable for a couple thousand years. It's not about picking one over the other, it's just about the nature of how things exist.

First, it is a question of what is true.

And then we get the interesting epistemological question of how do we know it is true. And it is a question of perception.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First, it is a question of what is true.

And then we get the interesting epistemological question of how do we know it is true. And it is a question of perception.

Yep, that's what epistemological means.