• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The digital age and memory loss..

93JC

I suspect people who don't remember their own phone number give it out very infrequently. I don't mean to sound judgemental but that seems totally counterintuitive to having a phone in the first place. If you don't tell people your phone number how do you expect to ever receive phone calls?

Then again some people these days don't want people to call them.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Back in the day, you didn't have to remember so many passwords and PIN no. either. There is a thing called password fatigue. No I don't let Windows/explorer remember them for me. I have an excellent memory, but I must admit I can't remember my own phone no. It has the exact same digits as my old no but in a different order. It's little too much for my brain (I'm not great with sequential order at the best of times).
^Geez I sound like a fuddieduddie, I like not having to remember things, so I can fill my head with useless facts instead.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
The human brain tends to treat tools as an extension of the human body. This can be beneficial if it enables you to achieve more than you may otherwise have been capable, but Halla has a strong point in terms of the failures of relying on it as a crutch.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Let's see. We won't let the kids use the self parking feature on the cars. I won't let them use a GPS either, there are maps in all our vehicles. They also had to learn to drive a manual transmission prior to getting their licenses. Reading some professional people's email and reports makes me twitch. These are people with degrees, there is NO reason for such a horrific grasp of English, grammar and sentence structure, especially when using any email or word processing program. Texting, I tell my kids one time. Shut it off and put it away or it's mine. There is a time and place for that and it's not when you are walking, driving, sitting at the table having dinner or doing anything else that requires your full attention.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it is a possitive. a Resorting of the brain. Triage of priorities. For example I suddenly cant remember the name of the President of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan. Islam Kar....kar aw shucks!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, it's going to have its effect on society, that's for sure. It's only a problem if we get the information rug pulled from under us. If we finially went all Internet and Kindle and then lost it, It'll be way worse than the burning of the Library of Alexanria.

As far as me personally, it suits me fine. The way that the internet is supposedly effecting people's memories just happens to be how my memory works in the first place. I have never spent a lot of effort remembering facts, just places to find them. My mind has always only been able to retain trends and relationships between things and narratives.