• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Erasing Memories

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would not want to erase my bad memories. Taking them away, I also lose knowledge and wisdom.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I can't think of anything in particular I'd want to erase. I've experienced the most pain over what hasn't happened in my life, rather than what has. (Maybe someday someone will figure out a way to implant fake memories....)

Also, I was thinking along the same lines as those who were mentioning there could still be some effect of what happened on behaviour, emotions and reactions, even if the explicit memory has been erased. There was a story in a neuroscience class I took about a woman who had brain damage in a specific area involved in forming memories. She retained the memories she had before the damage, but couldn't form new ones. Every time she saw her doctor, he had to re-introduce himself. Once when she shook his hand, he pricked her with a pin. She didn't remember the incident, but from that day forward she would balk at shaking his hand, and wouldn't be able to say why.

I can see this being used if the explicit memory itself is causing a lot of distress: frightening flashbacks, body memories, reliving the experience. In that case it could be helpful, even if it doesn't wipe the slate entirely clean.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I wonder if erasing the somewhat traumatic memories in my mind would result in instant healing or really wouldn't change anything.