• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Joy and the Abreaction

Mole

Permabanned
Standing between us and joy is the abreaction.

The abreaction is all the fear, hatred and rage we have repressed during our upbringing.

So to our surprise, we feel fear, hatred and rage when we first start to experience joy.

And worse, our abreaction is socially unacceptable. So we must repress it once again to survive in society, just as we repressed it to survive in our family.

So we are in the perfect trap. We long to experience joy, but the first thing we experience is the abreaction.

Is there a way out of this trap?

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, the purpose of the drug culture is to suppress the abreaction. And in suppressing the abreaction, they also suppress the joy.

Of course the drug culture does give the illusion of joy. But the illusion of joy is simply the relief at suppressing the abreaction.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, the purpose of the drug culture is to suppress the abreaction. And in suppressing the abreaction, they also suppress the joy.

Of course the drug culture does give the illusion of joy. But the illusion of joy is simply the relief at suppressing the abreaction.

...Or perhaps it's just a high.

Mole

Permabanned
Or perhaps it has to do with the fact that people like to get high.

Chronic emotional pain is undeniably painful. And we will do almost anything to avoid pain, including joining the drug culture.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Chronic emotional pain is undeniably painful. And we will do almost anything to avoid pain, including joining the drug culture.

OR, perhaps (and you can call me crazy, here), people enjoy the physical sensation of getting high, as people enjoy the physical sensation of having sex, or eating, or getting a massage.

Mole

Permabanned
OR, perhaps (and you can call me crazy, here), people enjoy the physical sensation of getting high, as people enjoy the physical sensation of having sex, or eating, or getting a massage.

Sure, I wouldn't disagree with you. And I guess here I am trying to look at the underlying psychological causes.

And in particular I am looking at the causes through the distinction joy/joyless.

Of course the highest some of us can hope for is relief from psychological pain, while others strive for psychological joy.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sure, I wouldn't disagree with you. And I guess here I am trying to look at the underlying psychological causes.

And in particular I am looking at the causes through the distinction joy/ joyless.

Of course the highest some of us can hope for is relief from psychological pain, while others strive for psychological joy.

I know; I was just messing with you. What you're saying makes perfect sense, actually. What people call catharsis, is the release of repressed negativity; only once the negativity has been moved past, can people actually head toward true joy. It is unfortunate that we must suffer through our repressed negativity before we can truly experience happiness. And, of course, your original point about the repression being due to societal influence is valid, as well.

The question I have here is, is it possible to circumvent the abreaction to move toward true psychological health and happiness?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Twoo, twoo...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
balance

I havent felt anger, rage or hatred for a long time. I dunno if thats healthy but things just dont get me to react so quickly no more

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, society is actually accomodating to most of our psychological needs, it's a matter of finding the right place and time. Deficating is a human need, but even Fi'er agree we shouldn't do it in the middle of a public movie theatre. I'm sure there is that one guy who's abreaction is to deficate in a public theatre. Well, I guess they are screwed.. maybe make it some sort of performace art? I dunno, get creative. Come on, don't wait for somebody to lead you by the hand.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Standing between us and joy is the abreaction.

The abreaction is all the fear, hatred and rage we have repressed during our upbringing.

So to our surprise, we feel fear, hatred and rage when we first start to experience joy.

And worse, our abreaction is socially unacceptable. So we must repress it once again to survive in society, just as we repressed it to survive in our family.

So we are in the perfect trap. We long to experience joy, but the first thing we experience is the abreaction.

Is there a way out of this trap?

There is no trap. The only way out is through...

Mole

Permabanned
I know; I was just messing with you. What you're saying makes perfect sense, actually. What people call catharsis, is the release of repressed negativity; only once the negativity has been moved past, can people actually head toward true joy. It is unfortunate that we must suffer through our repressed negativity before we can truly experience happiness. And, of course, your original point about the repression being due to societal influence is valid, as well.

The question I have here is, is it possible to circumvent the abreaction to move toward true psychological health and happiness?

It is important to experience the abreaction, then it is important to understand the abreaction, then evaluate the abreaction, and then finally to integrate all the repressed feelings into our normal life.

And none of this can happen without first experiencing the abreaction. It is no good talking about ii. It is no good thinking about it. It must be experienced. The feeling must first be felt. The abreaction is experiential.

However the abreaction is also disorientating and leaves us vulnerable. So it is vital to have an experienced caretaker with us when we start to abreact. So we can experience the feelings fully and safely, and then analyse, evaluate and integrate them into our lives.