• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sum of all our parts

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was talking to a relative the other day and suddenly saw her, (or at least strongly imagined her) like this. (Just an image that I scrambled up a bit)

attachment.php

I wonder, when we see humans, or even animals, why we see something so holistic and connected (and even connected to us with meaning) and not just the sum of all it's parts. I imagine it has something to do with survival or even spiritual connectedness. I know that there is a whole bunch of chemical stuff that goes on when we look at people we know, all of it working together. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if we didn't prioritize information in that way.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Short answer:

because we are experts on face recognition and perception(and analysis) of biological movement.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Short answer:

because we are experts on face recognition and perception(and analysis) of biological movement.

I guess to survive and advance, we kind of have to agree and streamline the images that are presented to us, I wonder what would happen if everyone kind of just took in visual information as a jumble like that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I guess to survive and advance, we kind of have to agree and streamline the images that are presented to us, I wonder what would happen if everyone kind of just took in visual information as a jumble like that.

Humans are genetically programmed to prefer biological movement over other movement(we went through this on cognitive psychology class, it has been studied on babies from newborn to few months old. this biological movement isnt just human movement, but also animal movement). what comes to face recognition, even babies are more interested about faces than other stuff. its hard to say if its because they prefer biological movement or what, but even small babies get pretty good at face recognition, recognizing mother over strangers and putting in emotional associations on faces.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Humans are genetically programmed to prefer biological movement over other movement(we went through this on cognitive psychology class, it has been studied on babies from newborn to few months old. this biological movement isnt just human movement, but also animal movement). what comes to face recognition, even babies are more interested about faces than other stuff. its hard to say if its because they prefer biological movement or what, but even small babies get pretty good at face recognition, recognizing mother over strangers and putting in emotional associations on faces.

Okay, that's a fun fact, sounds pretty accurate. What do you think would happen if it wasn't like this? (Besides the age old answer of eating babies cause they wouldn't be cute anymore.)

This is starting to sound like some freaky fantasy movie.

"In a world where people don't know what to do with information".... :laugh:

That'd be dyslexia, no?

Umm. I don't know a lot about dyslexia except that I only think of letters on a page. Could be a good comparison though, retrieval of information in a manner that is not previously natural/ agreed upon.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
You experienced the visual version of saying a word over and over, until it has no meaning.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Wiki says that in 1925 it was hypothesized that it was due to failure of achieving hemispheric dominance. Also that it seems those with dyslexia have a a left brain deficiency which is organization of perception. Seems connected to me. Bad science, I know.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, that's a fun fact, sounds pretty accurate. What do you think would happen if it wasn't like this? (Besides the age old answer of eating babies cause they wouldn't be cute anymore.)

This is starting to sound like some freaky fantasy movie.

"In a world where people don't know what to do with information".... :laugh: .

Uh, hard to say. maybe it would end up with some similar dysfunctions that some autistics have?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uh, hard to say. maybe it would end up with some similar dysfunctions that some autistics have?

How so? Collecting information and then not being able to put it back together properly?

I'm picturing upside-down people and green people and people heads detached from their body.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Off your meds?

No, seriously, the only thing I can think of to explain that is some kind of brain dysfunction.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

How so? Collecting information and then not being able to put it back together properly?

I'm picturing upside-down people and green people and people heads detached from their body.

I'd say that the sum of parts would be a primary judging thing... Though that kind of screws up the point of Ni... And Ne a bit... No, get away Jungian functions *beats thought with a stick*

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Off your meds?

No, seriously, the only thing I can think of to explain that is some kind of brain dysfunction.

Oh, no- I don't take meds- it wasn't a hallucination in need of explanation. :laugh: It was a thought that I had, kind of relating to perceptions of holistic images in general. And even like say, if you take one person, or thing and associate them with other sensory things, - smell, music, whatever. I was trying to think of what's in between all that. I was trying to think of not putting those things together at all, or what would happen if we didn't do that. It's actually a thought that was lingering on all afternoon that day since I kept picturing weird stuff when I looked at things. Limited the thread to people though, since just collecting information without putting it together in general would be wild with obvious implications. (This has obvious implications, too, but it's fun to think about.)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think what would happen is called schizophrenia.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I was thinking of autistic because of inability to understand peoples intentions(wouldnt be learned well due to not being able to read peoples expressions properly) facial expression etc. But it could be green boobheaded dragonflies with bat wings

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think what would happen is called schizophrenia.

Maybe, ... I was thinking that too, actually. Or an acid trip. Receive info, visual cortex returns something completely different from everyone else.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. Or not associating a smell with the object. Where all the input comes in, but doesn't integrate.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh:

I was going to say that I've seen people that way before... but I don't recall what drug I was trying at the time :unsure: