• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ultimate hoax victim qualities?

What is the ultimate hoax victim type?

• ENTJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• INTP

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • ENTP

• ENFP

• INFP

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • INFJ

• ENFJ

• ESFJ

• ISFJ

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • ISTJ

• ESTJ

• ESTP

• ISTP

• ISFP

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • ESFP

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm talking about the kind of behavior like..

-Getting involved in a pyramid scheme
-Investing your fortune in a Ponzi scheme
-Trusting in verbal agreements on business deals
-Responding to chain letters that promise you a fortune
-Responding to Nigerian letters
-Believing that dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical
-Buying ineffective technology, like motor oil that supposedly doubles the engine's fuel efficiency
-Resorting to ineffective, unneeded and expensive medication and treatments
-Believing that the UltraPill 1233 really burns your body fat without you doing anything
-Trusting that a fortune teller can find their missing child for a hefty fee
-Investing in perpetual motion machines
-Thinking that they can beat the stock market with some esoteric information
-Sending their online bank account passwords to people asking them via email

This doesn't have to relate to MBTI, unless you think certain MBTI types are more likely victims of such hoaxes. I'm thinking more along the line of general psychology.

No, I ain't planning on exploiting their weaknesses. I'm just striving to understand what makes the suckers in the world so lost on what's real.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical! I almost been injured by falls caused by the solid form of this chemical only last November! It really interferes with balance, you have to watch your step carefully when it is in the ground.

Anyway, I could see lack of skepticism coming into it (obviously), combined perhaps with a tendency to not take advice (so other people won't be able to tell the person that it is a bad idea), and/or greed/general fear (so people will be more easily emotionally influenced by the hoax).

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Dihydrogen monoxide is a dangerous chemical! I almost been injured by falls caused by the solid form of this chemical only last November! It really interferes with balance, you have to watch your step carefully when it is in the ground.
I have heard that no more than a tablespoon or two of this, inhaled, can be fatal!
My group is in the process of outlawing this insidious chemical. Would you like to support our cause with a donation of $100, perhaps? :devil:

Anyway, I could see lack of skepticism coming into it (obviously), combined perhaps with a tendency to not take advice (so other people won't be able to tell the person that it is a bad idea), and/or greed/general fear (so people will be more easily emotionally influenced by the hoax).
I'm thinking of ignorance of how mechanical, social and financial concepts work, combined with taking communication at face value. Perhaps lack of Ti and/or Si, too? Being unable to think thoroughly or familiarize oneself to all the facts of the situation?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
*makes note that INFP may be convinced with one-sided arguments*

Wanna buy shares in my company? It's in the business of space biology. Imagine what profits you'll lose if you don't buy now!

Never trust an ENTP.
But it'll be good for you :jesus:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, maybe we need an "ultimate hoaxer" thread.

I nominate:
* ENTP
* ESFP
* ESTP

as the top three "scammer types" out there.
(At least in terms of motivation, passion, and skill.)

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Wow, I managed to completely throw the thread off topic. (so I'll split it.)

here

Please continue to discuss scamming, with a focus on the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide, and how to make money off of it. :devil:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think all types are scammable, it is just a question of having to understand what makes them tick, which buttons to press.

Possibly Fs are easier if we assume that emotions are easier to sway than logic?

Sensates likely too, given they see concrete things, and concrete things are easier to fake ("evidence") vs the future...

The hardest would be high self monitors and quick thinking types... Or fellow scammers. :D

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
*gulp* I chose INFP because as a youngster I was way too open and wanting to see the good in people.

But now I wish I'd chosen ISFP - they seem to be more consistently overly trusting of others.

Whereas, as Joni Mitchell put it, an idealistic INFP is more likely to eventually end up "Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe".

But who knows, alot of those women I see on TV who fall for love scammers seem like ESF types.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I had a ISFJ friend who had always struck me as being completely sensible, hardworking and - above all - loyal.

He got hooked up with some crazy chick while working away from home and fell head-over-heals for her, even though it was apparent that she was a rotten egg (and that's being kind). All his friends tried to tell him - it was *obvious* she was a gold-digger - but he still wouldn't accept that this reptile is anything other than his *last chance*; "I can't help my feelings" became his answer to everything.

Now he's lost his girlfriend, friends, his house, he's hopelessly in debt - thanks to the "business projects" she's set up and put her name on (without putting anything in, of course). It looks like his job may be on the line because he's never off the 'phone to her! Anyone who knows the guy has commented that it's like a weird alter-ego has taken over.

As for the lady in question - ESTP *of course*:devil:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
We could also discuss which type is the less likely to be hoaxed...

My guess: INTJ and ISTJ.

INTJs have Ni/Te/Fi, and that makes a deadly combination to sniff hoaxes or unsound reasoning, while ISTJs are far too paranoid to accept anything without extensively criticizing it.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
We could also discuss which type is the less likely to be hoaxed...

My guess: INTJ and ISTJ.

INTJs have Ni/Te/Fi, and that makes a deadly combination to sniff hoaxes or unsound reasoning, while ISTJs are far too paranoid to accept anything without extensively criticizing it.

Agreed. INTJ will probably *get* the hoax and *avoid*; ISTJ will assassinate the hoaxer. Beware hoaxers: ISTJs are not your friends.

I read a story yesterday on the BBC where a scamster tried to get into a guy's house and steal his stuff, posing as a meter reader. The scammer got hot coffee thrown on him, hit with a wooden hammer and chased and rammed on the M8 motorway. Don't mess with an irrate ISTJ.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
As for the lady in question - ESTP *of course*:devil:

Wow, you totally missed the whole 'reptilian gold-digger ESTP female 'conversation' I had way back when with RogerMexico (btw, RogerMexico -- where are you??? I actually liked having you on the boards!) Apparently on INTPc it's commonly accepted that ESTP women are evil. Poor maligned ESTP females.

And I think my ISTJ friend would be hard to scam coming from a stranger or acquaintance but it's been said before on other threads, but ISTJ is easily taken advantage of by those close to them. Especially so. With strangers my ISTJ friend is MUCH quicker and much more brusque than me on the phone and in person with strangers going, "How/what/why did this happen -- fix this NOW -- this is ridiculous, etc." She nips things in the bud pretty quick. However, she surprisingly makes a lot allowances for people she knows and once she feels compassionate for someone, *I* am the one usually going why are you feeling sorry for her? :huh:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
... my ISTJ friend would be hard to scam coming from a stranger or acquaintance but it's been said before on other threads, but ISTJ is easily taken advantage of by those close to them.
:yes:
I have a good ISTJ friend who could be easily duped by close friends (their loyalty is quite amazing) - any body else beware. They'll eatcha for breakfast. With ketchup.