• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reality and Imagination

Mole

Permabanned
It's as though I am walking down a corridor. All the doors are neatly labelled, we might say each door is catalogued, quite like the threads on Central or like the books in a library.

So we can keep walking down the corridor and keep in touch with reality. Or we can open each door with our imagination.

Sometimes we get lost in the world of the imagination but we can always return to the corridor of reality.

What I like, though, is the relationship between the name on the door and the imagined inside.

Sometimes they throw light on one another, and sometimes they are greater than the sum of their parts, and so something new is born.

Yes, it is the marriage of reality and the imagination that gives new life, that gives life its deep down freshness.

And yet how imagination is banished from everyday life. How they long to tell us to 'get real' to 'stick to the topic' and 'get a life'.

My God, they keep telling us on Central 'this is not real life', as though real life has a moral superiority, as though the life of the imagination is morally inferior.

But how dull and boring, how quotidian, how smeared with grim and toil, is real life without the imagination.

The imagination is an eternal spring. They can try to cover it over with earth, but it bursts forth fresh and sweet in love with reality and in love with you and me.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Real life can be much better if you are about trying to bring your imagination to reality, or simply want to see and experience new things. I always thought that my problem was that some of my experiences are made up or drawn from things that are outwardly mundane. It just takes more energy for some to live in reality than others, it does have a lot of superior qualities, we aren't just brains for a reason.

A

A window to the soul

Reality can be much more rewarding, but I guess that depends on *you* and what makes *you* happy. Fantasy isn't realized until you take action and even then, it's sometimes too far fetched. With that, I don't want to discourage anyone from dreaming because dreams are what reality is made of. Dreaming is the beginning.

This sums up my thoughts though...

A snippet of lyrics from "brick by brick" by Paramore

Well, if it's not real
You can't hold it in your hands
You can't feel it with your heart
And I won't believe it
But if it's true
You can see it with your eyes
Even in the dark
And that's where I want to be, yeah

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
As someone who has always lived half in a fantasy world, I have lately wondered if children would be better off learning just about reality. Does our imagination lead to genius, or does it make us live lives where we make bad choices based on not dealing with reality? I hate to give up the rainbows and sunshine, though

Mole

Permabanned
The secret is to entertain reality and imagination at the same time. Imagination brings reality to life, and reality disciplines the imagination.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i still havent manage to tell whats reality and whats my imagination

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We are always in our own imagination, consciousness itself is a dream state. What we call imagination is just a further step removed from a reality that we will never fully experience. I think of it less as an either/or act, and more of a harmonizing. Not matching, but complimenting.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
you're such a feeler, its disgusting :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you're such a feeler, its disgusting :D

Haha. :D And I was so sure that I didn't evocatively load that post. Maybe it's just the idea itself?

'tis true, though. Our minds are reductionists, our internal model is always sweeping and personal because the Universe is just so damned fine grained and impersonal.

Mole

Permabanned
Play, Imagination and Reality

i still havent manage to tell whats reality and whats my imagination

The work of children is play. And the purpose of play is to learn the distinction between imagination and reality.