• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what is the psychology of conservatives and liberals?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
is Empathy the deciding factor between the 2? I wonder what would be considered the average for empathy within and between both parties.

I noticed liberals tend to emphasis values, like protecting people and things like reciprocity.
conservatives not so much or to the extent of liberals.

Last edited:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
It's not that one emphasizes values less than the other, its that they tend to emphasize different values.

Silveresque

I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In general, judging types are usually conservative and perceiving types are usually liberal. To say that liberals are more empathetic than conservatives would mean that perceiving types are more empathetic than judging types, and I really doubt that's the case. One is not more empathetic than the other. There's no difference between the two parties in terms of empathy, they simply differ in the way they apply it. E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it has anything to do with empathy. In general, judging types are usually conservative and perceiving types are usually liberal. To say that liberals are more empathetic than conservatives would mean that perceiving types are more empathetic than judging types, and I really doubt that's the case. One is not more empathetic than the other. There's no difference between the two parties in terms of empathy, they simply differ in the way they apply it. E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.

i don't think that's true, i think nfp's would lean most liberal and stj's the most conservative but there are a lot of exceptions and i've known lots of liberal p's and conservative j's.

Within

Permabanned
Liberals are pussies who can't get it into their heads when and where to draw the line. Conservatives are douchebags bound by idiotic outdated standards.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj

I think there are special cases when lowering taxes is more of a must then a humanitarian effort. its hard seeing your point

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Liberals are pussies who can't get it into their heads when and where to draw the line. Conservatives are douchebags bound by idiotic outdated standards.

short, sweet and to the point. this is why I love INTJs :D

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
E.g. Liberals emphasize values and reform, while conservatives emphasize lower taxes. Both are trying to improve conditions for people, they just go about it in different ways.

No. Conservatives aren't just about lowering taxes, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Conservatives care more about maintaining the established institutions and societal roles and emphasize hierarchy. A good deal of them are obsessed with tradition, keeping traditional values (they are often rigid Christians who take the Bible more literally), and like the idea of people being more suitable than others to make decisions. I'd say it's an SJ thing.

Liberals, on the other hand, are more about making sure everyone has equal rights, people aren't unfairly mistreated, giving people more rights, and are more focused on making sure no one is dominating the social sphere (although supposed liberal politicians are hypocritical of this). They value individual rights, equality, open-mindedness (at least a true liberal, anyway), and individuality. I'd say it's an Fi or Ne (or a combination of the two) thing.

EDIT: Whoops, I noticed a mistake I made. I said liberals are more about making sure "...people are unfairly mistreated". I meant to say that they are more about making sure people AREN'T unfairly mistreated. Sorry about that. It's correct now. :yes:

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am offended. But you have every right to say it. :yes:

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
No. Conservatives aren't just about lowering taxes, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Conservatives care more about maintaining the established institutions and societal roles and emphasize hierarchy. A good deal of them are obsessed with tradition, keeping traditional values (they are often rigid Christians who take the Bible more literally), and like the idea of people being more suitable than others to make decisions. I'd say it's an SJ thing.

Liberals, on the other hand, are more about making sure everyone has equal rights, people are unfairly mistreated, giving people more rights, and are more focused on making sure no one is dominating the social sphere (although supposed liberal politicians are hypocritical of this). They value individual rights, equality, open-mindedness (at least a true liberal, anyway), and individuality. I'd say it's an Fi or Ne (or a combination of the two) thing.

conservatives are focused on progress and if lowering taxes aids in doing so then its a viable option. I tried checking on google on conservatives advocating and being concerned about over taxing...found nothing :(

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
conservatives are focused on progress and if lowering taxes aids in doing so then its a viable option. I tried checking on google on conservatives advocating and being concerned about over taxing...found nothing :(

Wait, I didn't say conservatives aren't concerned about lowering taxes -- they obviously are -- but that's because they care more about economic freedom than individual freedom. But it's ironic, because they think they are fighting for freedom, when in reality, they are just giving the big corporations/pre-established working institutions all the power. They also may think they are focused on progress, but they are just inhibiting it.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Wait, I didn't say conservatives aren't concerned about lowering taxes -- they obviously are -- but that's because they care more about economic freedom than individual freedom. But it's ironic, because they think they are fighting for freedom, when in reality, they are just giving the big rporations/pre-established working institutions all the power. They also may think they are focused on progress, but they are just inhibiting it.

the majority of articles I found, were over conservatives being concerned with economic progress. if No one can buy anything than some business are not going to fair well. so its important that people are able to make purchase. its a choice not coming out of being humane

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the majority of articles I found, were over conservatives being concerned with economic progress. No one can buy anything and business don't fair well, if no one is buying anything. so its important that people are able to continue to be able to make purchases, in this situation lowering taxes. its a choice not coming out of being humane, it would seem but more to allow people to spend and continue this economic progress

Right, I understand what conservatives are concerned about, but the fact of the matter is that it allows the big businesses to take over. So it's basically economic freedom vs. individual freedom, between the two.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Comcervatives are mentally retarded, liberals arent.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Right, I understand what conservatives are concerned about, but the fact of the matter is that it allows the big businesses to take over. So it's basically economic freedom vs. individual freedom, between the two.

ah, so if people want economic freedom then rights need to be given up or lost? im not following

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ah, so if people want economic freedom then rights need to be given up or lost? im not following

No. It's just that conservatives care more about the economy than the individual. They don't realize that they are inadvertently restricting freedom because conservatism is naturally power-dependent -- and artificial and primitive, and it by very nature is not suitable (?) for progress to flourish.

http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/conservatism.html