• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The *It Will Work Itself Out* Gene

Starry

You are taking offense where there is none directed. I will rephrase in the hope that you understand me.

Some people will make a subjective interpretation of the phraseology used by the OP and the phraseology used by you (in post #31) and note a difference between their meanings, however some people will not, and will consider it simply a different expression for an identical sentiment. Neither of these groups of people would be wrong because cultural and individual differences in understanding will yield different interpretations. As evidenced by your initial response to me, some people will voluntarily evolve their interpretations in real time as the turns of phrase are compared and then separate them for their own purposes (i.e. to make a point or distinction about an intangible state of mind), which has occurred during the course of this thread.

(And now, I really am out of time to elaborate further because I am going to be late for work!)

It is a curious thing to me that you thought I was taking offense…because I used the word ‘simpleminded’? God no. Anyone that knows me on this site (which is very few) knows these things about me 1.) I do not offend easily – that I very much appreciate differing pov because this is where I learn and why I am here. And 2.) When I say ‘simpleminded’ and ‘more coffee please’ I mean it at face-value. I just went through an extremely challenging time in my life (that is actually an understatement)…and it has affected my thinking. I am currently slow-on-the-draw and very mentally scattered. Now 'assumptions' bug the shit out of me. But hey…I’m ENFP. I’ll be back to ‘optimistic’ in a second here.

I really, really appreciate you taking the time to expand on what you were saying. I will reread it again…but I really do think I know what you are talking about now. Thank you so much…(hope you aren’t late for work).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always say this. What I mean is, the incentive structure of all the people around me (including me) will eventually lead decision making towards solving whatever problem. It doesn't have to be planned at the moment, someone will make it all happen sooner or later.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, this definitely applies in the business world, in the sense that when things seem crazy and all of that, one can fairly easily say 'it will work itself out' because based on past experience, it always DOES work itself out in one way or another as it can't NOT work out. i.e. There's always some hard and fast date or initiative that must happen, and one way or another it'll get met, because it has to get met - whether via quick change of direction, or reshuffling, or whatnot, it'll happen. In the moment, it might seem totally undefined and wtf, but you could in that moment say 'it'll work itself out' because although you don't know in that moment HOW that will happen, you also know in upcoming days/weeks, meetings will occur, things will get done, decisions will be made, and momentum/initiative will redirect and get things moving.

In personal life, while I don't think I say this phrase very much, I often remind myself of it, and it's tied to just the concept of much being out of my control in the end. I can do my part and can work towards things - which I do. Beyond my own actions, everything else falls on everyone/everything else.

Additionally, through experience I know that what I think in the moment might be horrible, might in retrospect be something that brought me to a better place or a new place I am happier to have reached than had that bad thing not happened. So that's the other element of it; just that sometimes situations take you down a different path and the net result might be a lot better than the bumpy patches before you knew what the net result would be.

But yeah, when the phrase is used to justify doing nothing or just sitting complacently thinking you don't have to do anything to bring about things in your life, then it's dumb. And I'm not a fan of using pithy phrases like this with someone when it's clear they want a certain outcome and your saying 'it will work itself out' is decidely not what they want to hear, or in their mind if their desired outcome is the ONLY outcome they want, then they don't want to hear that in the long run something better will come out of all of it. (so it's just a mentality I keep to myself usually.. which is why I say I don't think I actually SAY it very often, at least in the context of personal lives).

F

figsfiggyfigs

I will do my best for something, but I never worry to much. I know things work them selves out the way you influence them.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

WTF! Where does this idea come from? Is it confidence in one's own ability or the ability of their environment, time?

I seem to not have received this trait at all. It will work itself out? How?!? I need to SEE how it works out, or I feel like nothing will work out. Ever!

I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.

How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?

No one in my family understands how I can be so calm. I have this very same belief system. It will work out for the best, whether it's me or something outside of me that fixes the situation things'll get done. I do what I can, usually that's enough.

R

RDF

If you keep your expectations low enough, then any fix is a good fix. :)

tumblr_ln0845LaZd1qctkcl.jpg

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The people I know who are able to maintain this attitude the best are the ones who have learned to fully trust God.

I am learning this, as I have seen many miracles in our life, but it is still a struggle for me because of my worry focused temperment.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It's funny, but often things don't work out. I have found that life and success requires a great deal of persistance. Life will keep throwing blockades in front of you, but you will succeed if you don't give up.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's funny, but often things don't work out.

Interesting .. I'd say that everything does work out, sometimes though just not the way we expected.

I think it's not until we are at the end of our life span that we can look back and smile knowing everything brought us to this moment, the highs, the lows and everything in between ..

Permabanned
It's funny, but often things don't work out. I have found that life and success requires a great deal of persistance. Life will keep throwing blockades in front of you, but you will succeed if you don't give up.

Why worry so much? It's not like one'll get out alive. :troll:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I promise there's a particular word for this particular trait "It Will Work Itself Out". I've been looking for it for a while. I cannot for the life of me, remember it.

"Laziness" is the word you're looking for.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Things ALWAYS work themselves out.... Just not how you plan it. Good and bad come into play, but only through perception and this is where Taoism comes into play. "Who's to say what is good and what is bad?" You could look around the corner and find a winning lottery ticket on the ground only to have a thief take it seconds later! Life is crazy!