• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se wants to develop Ne

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have trouble with Ni so I can sort of understand the difficulty of maintaining a function that's not natural to you. What you have to do is really be aware and conscious of your thinking. Then all there is to do is to keep looking for things that are abstractedly(not physically) related to each other. don't look for connections in terms of perspectives(like symbols, hidden meanings, etc.) but look for them independent of perspective(like a soccer ball and a football are related becaus their both balls.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But a soccer ball and foot ball are related because they're both balls. They end in "ball," they are physically balls, and you see them together a lot in gyms.

That's not Ne.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
However, I wanted to ask you about the comment of Ne using theory for theory sake. I seem to find myself highly interested in theory, but always seeking to connect it back to reality and tangible results. The more I believe a theory to be true, the more I seek to validate it, but through unbiased measures. Evidence and the scientific method become very important. Wouldn't this be common for anyone wanting to intuit external? Linking it back to the external environment would seem to place greater weight on how it can practically fit into the material world, instead of residing in some internal construct.

This might be my introverted take on it (JiNe). But what you're talking about is following through on an idea to creation, not necessarily linking it to something currently practical, right? I don't know if I am making that distinction clear, but I see one between practicality of an idea versus making it real to prove it has use to begin with.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like creating just for the sake of it...or theory for the sake of it...the fun part is solving the problem or creating something from nothing or altering something to be so much more. i would get as much satisfaction from just coming up with the ideas and giving them to someone else..i don't only find it useful if it's something i personally want or after i see it completed.

is that what you're talking about?

KDude

I happen to like internal constructs.. I don't prioritize linking things back externally.

Err.. It's hard to elaborate actually. Lets just say that my sense of possibilities don't really think practically. I'd rather that things come to my way of seeing rather than having it appeal the other way around.

Maybe this is more Ni. Whatever.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But a soccer ball and foot ball are related because they're both balls. They end in "ball," they are physically balls, and you see them together a lot in gyms.

That's not Ne.

The idea of the "ball" is simply a spherical, round object, perhaps bouncy. You can't physically see that concept. (Granted, a football isn't that round but it can still fall under the idea. A golfball and basketball would work better.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I happen to like internal constructs.. I don't prioritize linking things back externally.

Err.. It's hard to elaborate actually. Lets just say that my sense of possibilities don't really think practically. I'd rather that things come to my way of seeing rather than having it appeal the other way around.

Maybe this is more Ni. Whatever.

But I think this is being an introvert.....I'm like this as well. Our reality is Fi, and Ne serves its purposes (so to speak).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The idea of the "ball" is simply a spherical, round object, perhaps bouncy. You can't physically see that concept. (Granted, a football isn't that round but it can still fall under the idea. A golfball and basketball would work better.)

I think this is a terrible analogy.

I'm pretty sure that Ne sees things that are related that aren't physically similar or categorically utilized for simillar activities in the physical realm.

Sorry. Think of something more abstract, or more "different."

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Forget Ne and go Ni! It'll be easier on you mentally, and you get that nice tunnel vision/epiphany stuff.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Forget Ne and go Ni! It'll be easier on you mentally, and you get that nice tunnel vision/epiphany stuff.

This is just a disgusting comment. Get over yourself.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this is a terrible analogy.

I'm pretty sure that Ne sees things that are related that aren't physically similar or categorically utilized for simillar activities in the physical realm.

Sorry. Think of something more abstract, or more "different."

That's just one of the prime misunderstandings people here have, due to reading some vague descriptions. Ne and Ni isn't some mysterious bullshit. It's a plain simple function.

Mayber further explanation will convince you. There is nothing physical about a "ball", it exists but it's not perceived by any sense. It's like "God" except God's existence is highly debatable. It's like the number "1." This number, or numbers in general, represents a large portion of reality. A ball, a person, a city, a pie, a picture, a flower. They all follow the property of being a single object, "1."

To make it a bit more fun, consider my explanations as an illustration as well. I use different examples but they are all conclusively are related by one real idea. That Ne is about finding real(as oppose to perspective-dependent) abstract relationships. That's all it takes for Ne.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's just one of the prime misunderstandings people here have, due to reading some vague descriptions. Ne and Ni isn't some mysterious bullshit. It's a plain simple function.

Mayber further explanation will convince you. There is nothing physical about a "ball", it exists but it's not perceived by any sense. It's like "God" except God's existence is highly debatable. It's like the number "1." This number, or numbers in general, represents a large portion of reality. A ball, a person, a city, a pie, a picture, a flower. They all follow the property of being a single object, "1."

To make it a bit more fun, consider my explanations as an illustration as well. I use different examples but they are all conclusively are related by one real idea. That Ne is about finding real(as oppose to perspective-dependent) abstract relationships. That's all it takes for Ne.

Yeah only people with Ne and Ni in their top two functions can figure out that two roundish things that bounce that are used in sports are related.

Please try again. This is almost embarrassing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact, what you're describing sounds sort of like Si connections, it's pretty linear.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah only people with Ne and Ni in their top two functions can figure out that two roundish things that bounce that are used in sports are related.

Please try again. This is almost embarrassing.

In fact, what you're describing sounds sort of like Si connections, it's pretty linear.

...really? Wait, Are you trolling?

Intuitive things are exclusive to intuitives? Lol, what the hell... I do hope your joking.

If not, then id like to introduce to you the idea that functions serve to allow people to make sense of reality. Everyone has T N S F, because they are all necessary for interpretation.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is just a disgusting comment. Get over yourself.
I was mostly joking. I guess that's not acceptable...

It is at least theoretically easier for a person to develop their main functions though than to go into their shadow.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
...really? Wait, Are you trolling?

Intuitive thing are exclusive to intuitives? Lol, what the hell... I do hope your joking.

NO I am not trolling. Your analogy is just not Ne. It's more than likely Si. Because of past sensory impressions of a soccer ball, it is easy to work a similar object into your linear framework, i.e. a football.

Talking about the abstract nature of numbers, et al, may be more Ne, but your initial example is not.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NO I am not trolling. Your analogy is just not Ne. It's more than likely Si. Because of past sensory impressions of a soccer ball, it is easy to work a similar object into your linear framework, i.e. a football.

Talking about the abstract nature of numbers, et al, may be more Ne, but your initial example is not.

It is of the same nature. Functions are very much interrelated to each other in the sense that without Si, there is no Ne. The Si component in the initial example is simply the soccer ball and the football. I think what you're actually pointing at here is the level of abstraction, not the function itself. True, some things are less abstract, but this does not disrupt the idea that they require Ne to comprehend.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is of the same nature. Functions are very much interrelated to each other in the sense that without Si, there is no Ne. The Si component in the initial example is simply the soccer ball and the football. I think what you're actually pointing at here is the level of abstraction, not the function itself. True, some things are less abstract, but this does not disrupt the idea that they require Ne to comprehend.

Pretty sure that's Si, and she's asking how to develop her Ne. I'm sure that categorizing all lip products in the store together, whether they be balm, gloss, lip color, or lip liner, isn't Ne either...it's Si. It's categorizing similar objects in a linear fashion.

Your musings on the abstract nature of the word "ball" in relation to the concept of "God" and so forth is probably Ne, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was mostly joking. I guess that's not acceptable...

It is at least theoretically easier for a person to develop their main functions though than to go into their shadow.

Good to know that you're joking and not just being snarky and condescending. One never knows.

Sunny Ghost

You could always try doing what I do.

Not a mind reader? Here's an explanation:

My Se, or at least the qualities that I believe embody use of the Se, is very weak; I'm not very aware of my environment at all, and I usually end up glossing over the details, letting my mind wander, and then having an idea or realization hit me and entertain me endlessly. I suppose you could develop your Ne, or at least something resembling it in some way, by consciously using your sensing function, preferably Si, whatever you envision that to do for you, to answer the question "What does that remind me of?" The result, if you continue to look for similar interconnections or try to daydream, could come close to mimicking Ne.

Or, as has been said already, look for recurring patterns, themes, or related ideas in whatever you're presented with. That may not be much help to you in your attempts to actually develop this trait in yourself, but at least it'll give you a basic idea of what an end result should mirror.
I do a lot of the "what does this remind me of" thing. But, I generally think this is me bouncing along with Se. My mind can be quite active, especially with memories, when interacting, talking with others, etc. I'm more often, taken to the past. Would you have an Ne example?

I think I did use a lot of Ne, or replicated Ne thought, whilst dating my ex INFP. I wasn't very good at it, if it even was Ne. I felt like Ni was always more prevalent. And it is sort of that tip of the tongue feeling for me, as orangedapple describes. But I was picking up on patterns and themes, and kept trying to make sense of it all, but never quite could explain or articulate what I felt around me. But I suppose it's more Ni to try and make sense of it? And it was my Ni that lost trust in the vague Ne I was experiencing.

You're probably right. I would actually be just as curious to see what Ni art is like. Sometimes when I look at art, I think, "That is soooo Ne. And bad ass!" But I don't really have those moments with Ni.

Abstract relationships. Would you be willing to display how your mind jumps around, or how your thought processes play out in order to illustrate?