• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Appearing Intelligent?

Mole

Permabanned
Welcome to the global village ;)

I do rather like the word, "noosphere", which also describes the global village. But it doesn't seem to have caught on here - I haven't heard anyone else use it yet.

How about you? Will you be the first taker?

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I do rather like the word, "noosphere", which also describes the global village. But it doesn't seem to have caught on here - I haven't heard anyone else use it yet.

I'm afraid my English is not good enough to understand :)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Derailing, derailing, derailing...

If you want to open a topic about Teilhard de Chardin, just do it elsewhere.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I think it's a nice word. I will try to use it from now on --
And a few more replies will see us through the first "noosphere"-based thread discussing it.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
And a few more replies will see us through the first "noosphere"-based thread discussing it.

The noosphere is a completely different notion from our "global village". Watch for confusions!

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
The noosphere is a completely different notion from our "global village". Watch for confusions!

Thank you. Because of your warning, I looked it up, and must say that it is a very nice concept indeed. So, Victor, allow me to correct myself: "Welcome to the noosphere!"... ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Blackmail! I'm curious... you attribute your 'high brow' tastes to a bourgoise upbringing... I wonder what you'd say in my case then, where my family has always been destitute as long as I remember and neither of my parents are intellectually curious... I've always had interests that nobody in my family could either understand or accommodate, and I've had to spend my whole life seeking and learning independently because there was no provision for me within my social/economic stratus. I wonder to what you'd attribute my wide range of interests and insatiable curiosity (and perhaps also a tested high IQ)?

edit - it's certainly not ambition for careers or qualifications in my case, as I've not used my ability or learning for either of those purposes and have in fact resisted doing so. it's just a relentless drive to learn and understand, and a confident belief that I can.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Glasses
-Quotes Shakespeare
-Studying in a european country
-Playing an obscure instrument no one has heard of from another country
-Wine connesuir
-Classic music connesuir
-Liberal politics
-Foreign film collection
-Quotes John Keats

Most of that list I would associate with a desire to elevate the perceptions of ones sophistication or to fit in with expectations of a higher social standing which to me is no measure of ones intelligence (edit: this assumes those things are done with intent of affecting how others view them, some people do those things because they enjoy them and unfortunately may get branded as pompous for being who they naturally are because of the amount of people that do those things disingenuously). Intelligence is just one of those things I get a sense of over time about someone and pretty much none of the above have any bearing on that in my assessment of it.

A few things that are likely to elevate my perceptions of ones intellect...

- Vocabulary (not a matter of using big words, but using descriptive words in the right situations).
- Showing that they understand the concepts that make things work.
- Demonstrating the ability to create their own theories to explain things
- Finding creative uses for mundane things
- Ability and willingness to question or challenge things that others state as fact or take for granted.
- Ability and willingness to play devils advocate (more so if its clear they enjoy doing it)

There are lots of other things that probably have an even larger subconscious impact on my evaluation of someones intelligence, but the above is that what quickly comes to mind as things that get my attention.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Trying to be more poetic is a hysterical thing.

I'm not sure how to feel about a statement like that since i do occasionally "try to be poetic" but its more of a case of feeling like its the natural thing to try to be in the moment and the "effort" part of it is trying to find the right words that say what I want, have the flow I'm looking for and in general "feels right" but I'm not concerned with being poetically correct in the sense of all the rules of poetry. For me, its about not restraining my poetic side when it wants to try to say something, but it may or may not be the same for the person your describing, but if that person is "discovering who they are" and trying to act on their whims in accordance with who they want to be, their desire to be more poetic may be genuine but come across as odd since its out of character based on previous behavior.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I sincerely like some of the things you list, classical music, Keats, literature, some foreign movies but I know I am not exceptionally intelligent. I just consider these things to be interesting and beautiful. I get tired of people like in-laws accusing me of being interested in those things just to "look" smart. I guess what I am saying is I don't like the idea that people are only interested in these things to "look smart."

I am not saying that is what you mean here, but I have come up against this type of mind set enough to know it is out there.

I also hate that finding others who want to have *real* discussions about these issues without a lot of fake posturing and snobbishness about who is more intelligent or who does not belong there. I am not that quick minded and I would like to find more pedestrian discussions of these topics without being looked down on as not as smart as some or trying to be smarter than I am.

It is like I have a closet love of literature and classical music because of these twin aspects.

Anyway, best way to appear smart is to become Rocket Scientist.

Those are good points as well. I've only recently (last year or so) taken a more serious interest in things like classic literature and philosophy, but I don't see myself in the same league as folks that live and breath the stuff, but my interest is probably a lot greater than the people that study those topics to create an image. I think most people that have a genuine interest in any hobby are willing to share their knowledge and enthusiasm with newcomers if they believe the interest is genuine, but bad apples that pursue those interests only for trying to create a certain image for themselves scare off people that might actually enjoy pursuing those topics in a more casual manner as a hobby or curiosity.

Slightly off topic rant...
One of the things that discouraged me from taking an interest in such things as literature when I was younger was that they were mandated study in a lot of higher level English courses, and whenever you put something like that in a class that a lot of people feel compelled or required to take (I managed to find English alternative classes to avoid them, but I don't know how schools are nowadays) you mix people that really don't want to learn about the stuff with a few that might actually enjoy it if they were to learn about it in a more supportive environment (or on their own as I eventually did). So, right or wrong, I place at least partial blame on the school system for the views of society (that its a hobby of elitist snobs) regarding people that study literature in the states.

cheap

MBTI Type
F00D
However being calm and thoughtful can also give the opposite impression (of not being so intelligent, of being 'slow')

Aha, I can relate to this! :cry: and appearing quite the opposite of bright, which is true to an extent...although I never really think I am THAT stupid when I'm well into contemplating something I agree with myself on. :whistling:

In the classroom I can never process too much information thrown all at once at me, and am usually sucked dry of all enthusiasm by the droning subject anyway, so that nothing absorbs or commits to memory. Emotionally, I loathe the private school environment and its intellectual competitiveness. No matter how much I'll remind myself that intelligence isn't everything, that my driving principles prioritise being an advocate for anyone else who may feel the same way, and academic success isn't the only worthy type of intelligence, I can't shake the pressure I'm imposing on myself to keep up with my environment; to be intellectually equal. And as a result, I’ll overwork myself for the same result someone else fluked. Such is life, life is such...a :rolli:!! But then I will remind myself that diligence is intelligent, right? So I smile. :) Occasionally I do excel in certain areas where my achievements speak for themselves, but I can't live with having people overestimate me without telling them straight out, for example, "This is just ONE project, you're way better than me at _____ " so that I slip back into the "advocate" role. :nice:

For the record, probably the most "intellectual" thing I'm interested in is the MBTI...

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
When I was younger, I prided myself on being called the smartest kid in the class, but at least I was actually smart (In first grade, your typical INTP really doesn't know how to pretend to be anything very well for that matter). Then I realized trying to point out being smart will get you more criticism than praise with peers, so I stopped doing it. How this kid is a teenager and hasn't had his ass kicked for being so pretentious is beyond me.

Mole

Permabanned
Derailing, derailing, derailing...

If you want to open a topic about Teilhard de Chardin, just do it elsewhere.

I don't want to derail this thread so if you think I am derailing just tell me and I will try to get back on track.

Mole

Permabanned
Thank you. Because of your warning, I looked it up, and must say that it is a very nice concept indeed. So, Victor, allow me to correct myself: "Welcome to the noosphere!"... ;)

Thanks mate.

Mole

Permabanned

You have good taste, Nadir, but just as I would suspect, as our Prime Minister, just today, has described the Turkish community in Australia a model community.

And you, quite naturally, are a model member here.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I was thinking recently about how people kind of alter their behaviour to appear a certain way (by dress or the way they talk or whatever).

Are there things some people do to appear more intelligent?

A guy at my school does everything he can to look intelligent. Apparently people who know him well say he is indeed intelligent, but not any moreso than any of the other kids in the gifted program. He gets the best grades in the grade and everything, too. Some people noted that he seems to do a lot of things to make himself look smart and then brags about his intelligence rather than actually being smart. He plays violin and talks about how much he loves classical music, he answers every question the teachers ask, and he studies as hard as possible to garuntee the best mark on every test.

This has me thinking, what are some of the things people may do to do this?

Here are some things I think people seem to associate (unaccurately) with intelligence. Some of these are things I've noticed, some of these are things I've heard from satirical websites like StuffWhitePeopleLike (so some of them are a bit more on the satirical side -but remember that satire always comments on reality to some degree).

-Glasses
-Quotes Shakespeare
-Studying in a european country
-Playing an obscure instrument no one has heard of from another country
-Wine connesuir
-Classic music connesuir
-Liberal politics
-Foreign film collection
-Quotes John Keats

Do you think this really happens? Do you think it is desireable to be seen as an intelligent person, or an "intellectual" (I hate that word!)

And no, this is not my subtle way of asking advice so I can look smarter than that fool at my school :dry:

And, just for fun, how about other things... like how to be seen as a leader. What are some things someone would do/wear if they wanted to seem like a strong leader?
Perfect..
Apart from a minor relapse of memory:

The cigars.

Jack could not smoke the Havana.
He smoked the Columbian instead.

The Columbian was better.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Intelligence, education, and culture are not intertwined. One or two do not beget the other.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
it's easier to appear stupid
lol, Then what? Blindside them with your wealth of knowledge? ;P Sounds like a good plan! :yes:

I hate pretentious people and if I had to hear someone go on and on about how fabulous they were, I'd probably confront them eventually and set them straight but it's doubtful they'd even hear me so I'd just be back to square one. *sigh*

Intelligence, education, and culture are not intertwined. One or two do not beget the other.
I agree.

Victor dear, try to get it all in one shot! Multiple posts are typically frowned upon. :cheers:

Regards,

Jen ( a non admin or mod but a enthusiastic forum user!) :static:

PS I'd also like to add that I absolutely hate when anyone calls another person stupid! It's an ignorant (and lazy) assumption leading me to wonder if the person saying it is greatly lacking common sense.

O

Oberon

I've made a conscious effort to appear intelligent in several periods of my life.
The first was during high-school. Now I didn't use any of the tricks mentioned in the OP, but there's the cultural gap there: I always had an excellent eyesight, so no reason to wear glasses, I'd never heard in my life about Shakespeare or classical music, or liberal politics, and actually hadn't read a non-school book before going to college. Still, I was studying hard and developed by that time a dismissive attitude that later in life I found very hard to give up. I weren't too willing to answer teachers' questions either, but I made a point of leaving as clear as possible to classmates and teachers that I did know the answer. The point of all these was to have the teachers talking to my parents into letting me go to the university.
Then at the uni I needed also gain good impressions so to have good references in the case I needed those later. I had to somehow balance the first impression I gave when I showed up to the uni, of the shy, introverted child from a village, clueless to most social situations and without any "intellectual" background, so I used a couple of similar tricks: studying very hard, being sure I totally understood the processes before doing anything and only talking about stuff I was 100% sure about. By that time, I also had discovered books and started to slowly became an obsessive reader, which would add to the "intelligent" look I tried to have.
Finally, when I moved in the country I'm currently residing, I fell immediately in the defence, since I had to deal with very competitive people. So, especially the first months, I was deliberately trying to look smart and intelligent and also I started looking very serious, another attitude that I got so used to it that I cannot give up by now.
Never used the poetic stuff, however, it would be too much off-character.

Appearing intelligent is overrated. I'd much rather actually be fair than appear to be intelligent; and not infrequently I fail at both.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:ninja: At my university intelligence is intertwined with studying something such as a hard science or engineering. If you study something else you are not considered particularly intelligent. The only way that you can possibly make an enginerd or science geek beleive that you're not incredibly stupid and just in college to get married is to have several liberal arts majors!