• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dream Thread

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Let this be our thread for sharing dreams we've had and pondering their significance.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'll start with my most memorable dream. First a little background. This was around middle school or high school and I was attending a summer prep program. Everyday I sat next to this girl with beautiful bronze legs. We chatted a couple times but I was ultimately too shy and summer passed. Anyway, I was wild over this girl, she invaded my thoughts. I had this dream during that summer.

I'm in a small room with a low ceiling huddled around a candle with my girlfriend and another couple. The room is dark, the house is wood. The boyfriend proposes we go out for a walk. I stay behind but say I'll catch up for whatever reason.

When I go outside I see a meandering corridor of old houses lining a cobblestone path. I start searching for them and I notice the night sky. If you've ever been on a mountain top without a city for miles, that's what it looked like. The sky was just saturated with stars. I continue searching for them and cut through a courtyard when an imposing woman appears and begins chasing me. She was tall, dark, almost like a statue. I begin running from her, down the cobblestone path when I see my girlfriend up ahead. It looked like she was bathing in the moonlight. I ran towards her and as I got near she said she had been looking for me. I held her, she rested her head on my chest and said - "I can feel your heartbeat." I tried to feel hers through my chest but felt nothing, and said "I can feel yours too."

The feelings in the dream were vivid. In the house I felt gladness for the love I had, in the streets I felt beauty, in the courtyard I was terrified, which drove me toward the affection I experienced when I saw the girl in the light. In our embrace I felt empty.

My interpretation of that dream has always been that I would never be able to find a true equal, I invite other thoughts. I've also never given much thought to what the statue woman was meant to signify, if anything. Lastly, this dream was from a long time ago and I've revisited it many times, so I'm sure my memory of it has altered somewhat.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Was your girlfriend in the dream the same girl from the prep course? You said you chatted a couple of times; did you know her well enough to like for much more than her 'shell'?

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
No, it was a different girl. The girl in the dream was also white, the girl at the prep school was cantonese - I don't think that has any real significance. I was never able to get past her shell, but she seems shy in retrospect. That probably fueled my interest in her.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
From my dream journal, sometime in February 2006:

I am on a train with my family and a bunch of other people. It starts going really fast and outside the window things are streaking by so fast you can't see them. The train stops and we all get out. The conductor says to two other guys who were 'driving' the train that "I told you guys not to go past (such-and-such place). Now we're 280 million light years in the future!" We go to see what kind of world it is now, and if it is safe. Then we are in a mall waiting to get on the escalator. I am terrified and feel like you do when you're kind of dreaming and then realize that nothing you were thinking was real. But I don't quite reach that. I keep saying to my parents that "I want to be reading the book; I don't want to be in it!" Then we are on the escalator and my dad turns into Bob Saget. I think nothing of it. Then I see the walls pull apart like two sliding glass doors, but they are metal. I see some green aliens and the walls go back together. No one else noticed. I am scared because the aliens are simulating this familiar environment for us, but we are really on their spaceship.

I swear that I had never seen the matrix before a couple of weeks ago. I've never tried to analyze it or anything. It's just kind of interesting to me I guess.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know. Maybe because I saw something no one else did. I saw one more layer of reality. It scared me though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I had a strange dream about the pledge of allegiance, a dance called the chainsaw, monkeys, stampedes, fake psychics, africa and, Usher

So in my dream we were riding the train out to O'hare and we at one point were heading right for another train and their was no where for either of the trains to go so "Oh shit" but then all of a sudden the train is on one rail going past the other train and I'm holding my breath.

The next moment were in the airport out side a bathroom and by a starbucks well anyways their's this creepy dude hanging around claiming to be a psychic so he comes up to me and says my brothers name and some business scheme that my brother had a year ago and I refuse to believe him and tell him that he was just a really good guesser and give him a dollar.

Flash forward to africa their are crowds on two sides of a path way and usher comes down saying we're going to say the pledge of allegiance a new way. So he tells all the black people to raise their hands me not hearing the black people part raise my hand then realize no other white person has their hand raised I quickly lower my hand. then we start doing this dance called the chainsaw where you act like your starting a chainsaw then twist your hands around like an out of control chainsaw. In the back ground their are two monkeys in a gazebo watching us

time goes on then their is a boar a pig and a monkey and they're all chasing eachother around in a circle. Next a creature that is the cross between a boar and a horse joins in then it stops being a circle and more of a straight line chase and more and more animals join until finally you see a two tabby kittens one purple one pink they hug each other and spin around real fast and they are a beautiful lavendar colored horse. Then right as the dream is ending you the the horse and I want to say a dragon (like from mulan) and they spin around again and are two beatles and one of the beatles glues on a red fake jewel to the other to dress the other one up.

Atomic Fiend

I had a dream me and Teri Hatcher slept together, and Dean Cain, in a fit a rage murdered me. :/

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a dream the other night that was kinda freaky.

In my dream, I was having these dreams quite often, pretty much every night. In these dreams-within-my-dream, I was set within a maze or trap of some sort, and I had to find my way out, which always involved killing the people in my way. Kinda like a FPS, actually. Anyway, suddenly the cops were all after me (in my awake part of my dream) and somewhere along the way it turned out that they were after me for mass murder - apparently what I'd thought were dreams were actually me going around killing people. The cops caught up to me but said they wouldn't punish me because I was being brainwashed by some other guy (didn't know him). I was completely shocked and horrified that I'd killed real people. And then I woke up.

It was interesting because I'm pretty sure that I've never dreamed about dreaming before.

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I used to have these dreams that I woke up and was brushing my teeth and getting ready for school. Imagine my surprise when I realized I was still in bed. Do you think your dream meant anything? A lot of dreams just don't seem to mean anything to me.

I had a recurring dream during my senior year in college where I was about to graduate but forgot all about one class which I failed to attend all semester. In these dreams my teeth would become brittle and begin falling out. I read that teeth falling out could be linked to feelings of powerlessness.

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
After getting plastered on beer a few years ago, I had an interesting dream.

Vampires invaded my flat and were obviously about to kill me. Instead of screaming, running, or wetting myself, I declared myself a vampire and levitated off the floor like I was about to ascend through the roof. Then I proceeded to kick the crap out of them.

After a while I stopped and told them they could do whatever. So one rips my eyes out, while another rips off my arm. To their utter horror and surprise, my body was made of beer. I laughed, called back all of my body parts (which automatically re-attached themselves), and proceeded to beat them up some more.

Speaking of dreams within dreams, I've had several recurring dreams where aliens attempted to abduct me. Oddly enough, the dreams took place in the exact same house I was living in at the time. I remember the sensation of forcefully being pulled out of my body. I was completely paralysed, and I was filled with such a primal fear that shook the very foundations of my emotion: I had never felt that depth of terror in my entire life. Before I could be pulled out, I shook my head "no" so forcefully that I "woke up". I didn't really wake up, but in my excitement I blurted out to a family member that I had escaped an alien abduction. Then, in the dream, I went back to sleep, where another abduction attempt was made. I shook my head "no" so violently this time that I really did wake up. The dreams kept happening that night, which freaked me out. I've had similar dreams the same year, but I'm glad I don't get them anymore.

-A

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I've always enjoyed dreams where I become the vampire, that's a lot of fun. Especially murdering innocents.

But my question is; why do you wake up when you die in a dream? I've had this happen a couple of times. The most recent was when a meteorite fell from the sky and I watched as the slow wave of destruction came closer and closer to me as I stood there expecting to die. I fell over, lying there knowing I was dying and then suddenly I woke up.

Why is this? Is it like the matrix or something?

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I've always enjoyed dreams where I become the vampire, that's a lot of fun. Especially murdering innocents.

But my question is; why do you wake up when you die in a dream? I've had this happen a couple of times. The most recent was when a meteorite fell from the sky and I watched as the slow wave of destruction came closer and closer to me as I stood there expecting to die. I fell over, lying there knowing I was dying and then suddenly I woke up.

Why is this? Is it like the matrix or something?

Freudian theory gives an answer to that, actually.

In humans there is the life force (libido/physis) and the death force (mortido/thanatos). These forces can be outward facing, or inward facing:

so outward mortido: rage against others/animals/things.

inward mortido: feelings of self unworthiness, inadequacy, even suicidal tendencies.

outward libido: general affection and enthusiasm for people and things

inward libido: sense of well being and joie de vivre.

Then there's the id, ego and superego.

What Freudian theory holds is this: taht in normal life, the superego (seat of morality/learnt social behaviour) holds control over the id (the animal instinct), and the ego is what happens when we balance both as we negotiate life.

but in dreams, everything comes out since the superego is not in power anymore.

So those who dream of being powerful more often than not are those who are feeling frustrated/helpless in their lives. Or that they desire power; or that some outward mortido which they can't show in real life. Catharsis, in other words.

Why you wake up before you die: like those dreams of falling and falling, but you always wake up before you crash into the ground:

because for most humans, the physis force is so great, that even in the unconscious state, death is inacceptable.

That is why you wake up.

Even in dreams, the animal instinct is for life. It rejects death completely and utterly.

One who, in a falling dream, can die, is one who has given up on life.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I remember in one dream I was shot point blank in the face, the shock sent back to the ground and I woke up for a bit, then fell back asleep and went back into the dream for about a minute where I was lying on the ground looking up assuming I was dead. Then I woke up again.

Could any of it be that because the narrative of the story of your dream is so undermined by the hero dying, that there's nothing else that can possibly happen in the dream and you wake up?

Do people never dream about being in their believed afterlife?

I've never had the falling thing, I've jumped down ridiculous heights and survived, I've also just flown away at times.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I remember in one dream I was shot point blank in the face, the shock sent back to the ground and I woke up for a bit, then fell back asleep and went back into the dream for about a minute where I was lying on the ground looking up assuming I was dead. Then I woke up again.

Could any of it be that because the narrative of the story of your dream is so undermined by the hero dying, that there's nothing else that can possibly happen in the dream and you wake up?

Do people never dream about being in their believed afterlife?

I've never had the falling thing, I've jumped down ridiculous heights and survived, I've also just flown away at times.

in order:

-Sweetheart. Could simply be the shock of having your face blown off. :yes:

-If anyone has had such a dream, i should like to know. Not dreams about heaven/meeting deceased loved ones, which are common, but has anyone ever dreamt of the exact transition between life and death? when you actually die? (it would completely contravene the life instinct to do so.)

-what's the difference between jumping down and falling? :huh:

ya know what some of the lines in the Sandman are? When you dream of having sex, what you really want to do is to fly. When you dream of flying, what you really want to do is to.... ;)

edit: has anyone ever had a lucid dream?

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I dreamt last night that I was on a boat with my mum, trying to get my yearbook. We couldn't find it anywhere and it turned out the people who made them had only made about half of what was needed. Each one had a person's name it on, and, try as I might, I could not find mine anywhere. Me and my mum then got off the boat and went shopping. We went to cambridge and up a massive hill towards the shops (there are no hills in cambridge) and it was all really hot and I didn't really want to go shopping. On our way down the hill we looked over at a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) hill made out of red and green peppers. There was a tractor on top. We laughed because it had rained two days ago and scattered some of the peppers. I wondered why I had never thought much about the pepper hill before, as it was always there, and somehow every couple of days they took all the peppers that were there and sold them in supermarkets. They then replaced the old peppers with new ones. As my dreams go, that was an incredibly simple one. A couple of nights ago I was trying to escape from a pink childrens insane asylum via a swimming pool and a tightrope. A few weeks ago I was trying to save people from tank-driving poisenous-hedgehog-weilding bad guys. :party2:

I do the dreaming I've got up and got realised I'm still in bed thing a lot :) I once tried to wake up from a bad dream (can't remember what it was) and when I opened my eyes there was a giraffe looked down at me. I realised I was still asleep so I tried again, got up, went to the bathroom still thinking everything was normal, then I looked in the bathtub and saw the cartoon puppies from 101 dalmations playing in it :D

Alchemist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Whoa, those are bizarre.

I started having lucid dreams in the fourth grade, mostly 'cos I'd stay up really late reading. It's great to fly and explore in them. It's gotten to the point where flying is a second nature of mine. Even if I don't realise I'm dreaming, I somehow know that I'm able to fly, and just take off. If I'm inside a building, I pass through the roof like a phantom.

Sometimes I share dreams with strangers, in which case, I try to teach them to fly.

Lucid Dreaming Guide

The above is a good guide for lucid dreaming if anyone is interested. I mean, who wouldn't be? It's a great form of entertainment.

As a final note, I've died in my dreams and not waken up, but that's old news already. Other people experience this too. A thread on Astral Dynamics can be found about people who have died in dreams.

-A

BallentineChen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I've been trying to have lucid dreams but haven't succeeded yet. Thanks for the link, Alchemist.

I find the most interesting part about lucid dreaming is that you can potentially apply the experience you gain in the lucid state to the real world, this idea grew from having watch the movie "What the **** Do We Know?". It defies the law of conservation, or is at least more efficient in leveraging our experience. It can bring something into reality that otherwise would never occur. So much potential.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I had a disturbing dream last night about my room mate and her mom. I was over at their house and everything I did I got put down for by them. Like I was doing a puzzle and my room mate was like you have not done anything on that puzzle, and the edges were done. I pointed out that the edges were done and I was taking my time. But no matter what I did or said I was shot down. I woke up feeling really depressed.