• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Positive Money Thoughts

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Have you ever tried the technique that some self-help books suggest, where you speak something (like "I am going to be very rich."), and then you see that come true in your life?

It seems to me like it wouldn't work, and is just wishful thinking, but I was wondering if anyone had seriously tried it. Did it work for you?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Have you ever tried the technique that some self-help books suggest, where you speak something (like "I am going to be very rich."), and then you see that come true in your life?

It seems to me like it wouldn't work, and is just wishful thinking, but I was wondering if anyone had seriously tried it. Did it work for you?

Yes- (a little bit.) I've tried it. Too bad I'm too lazy to keep going, but I really should. Why? Because I got a huge tax return and my (full) raise two months early during the affirmations. There was a couple of other things at the time that made me say, "wow, maybe there's something to this..." But then I stopped. I tried to enhance the affirmations by putting myself into a hypnotic, or at least deeply relaxed state and listening to the affirmations on headphones a personal belief that it could help with the sinkage of the information into the subconscious. I love messing around with that stuff.

If anything, I do think for sure it helped me focus on money matters more, consciously and subconsciously so my financial plan got more solid and I stopped spending a lot of excess money- and that's had a more lasting effect.

Edit: Oh, also, the proper way is actually not- "I'm going to be very rich," but, "I am very rich." Or "Money comes into my life easily", since it is believed that the subconscious takes everything very literally. If you put the goal in the future, the subconscious will leave it in the future.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I think the principle is simply that if you actually reach internal resolution and WANT something enough, then you can make it happen - within reason, of course.

I mean, the act of just saying something without actually believing it and being in that mental place where you will start working towards it isn't going to do a whole lot. But if you believe you can do something/achieve something, the act of saying it -- making it all the more real & tangible by declaring it/verbalizing it -- can add more power to the resolution. Because you believe in it enough to actually say it, and by externalizing it in some way, then you might hold to it more readily, and follow through - esp. if you know others might be holding you accountable or you want to show others you will/can do it.

The other side of this is that for me, at least, sometimes choosing how I want to view things can make a big difference. Power of positivity and all of that. :) Focusing on positives, not as much on the negatives, even if both could be equal weight in reality. Where do you want to direct your energy?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is wishful thinking, and there is possibility.

Saying that you're going to be rich is wishful thinking.
Saying that there is a chance that you might be rich is a possibility.

The difference?
The first is begging to be hit hard. It leaves no room for errors.
The second? Not so hard. It is saying that because you know it is only a possibility, you won't give all your hopes onto it.

Sunny Ghost

Yes... I've practiced this a few times. And it seems to have usually worked. Somehow.... :shrug:

But yeah, usually stuff like, big tips at work, or a larger tax refund, or random people would start paying me back for money I forgot they owed me, would occur.

I feel like it's also more of a perceptual change than anything. But I never looked too much into it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know why this works? Because people are either psychologically self-defeating or self-promoting; if you believe you have bad luck YOU WILL.

If you think you don't deserve to have money, you won't.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
A positive approach to anything helps but it has its limitations: if wishes were horses than beggars would ride.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Beliefs affect behaviour, even in imperceptible ways. So I wouldn't be surprised if this has made a difference for some people.

I remember a study where they had university women join what was supposed to be a "weight loss study". They were told that doing particular mental exercises would burn enough calories to help them lose weight (which was bullshit, but they didn't know this). In the end, they'd actually lost several pounds, while a control group hadn't lost any. Believing they were doing something that would help them lose weight made them feel positive about their chances of doing so, and apparently this changed their behaviour throughout the rest of the day enough to actually lose a few pounds by the end.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know why this works? Because people are either psychologically self-defeating or self-promoting; if you believe you have bad luck YOU WILL.

If you think you don't deserve to have money, you won't.

I tend to tell people that I'm just lucky. Their answer? Luck is based not on what I hoped for, but on what I do to get it

If someone wants to be rich, they have to work themselves to be rich (or to be able to find ways that is yet to be discovered to be rich.) If someone wants a good grade, the person has to know how to receive information from the class to get a good grade.

Luck and positive thoughts only bring you so far.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
if this kind of thing works, then what you set your mind to was way too easy.

let's not even mention how it clearly promotes selective memory i.e. i'll start paying attention to how-if i am getting richer

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tend to tell people that I'm just lucky. Their answer? Luck is based not on what I hoped for, but on what I do to get it

If someone wants to be rich, they have to work themselves to be rich (or to be able to find ways that is yet to be discovered to be rich.) If someone wants a good grade, the person has to know how to receive information from the class to get a good grade.

Luck and positive thoughts only bring you so far.

There's a difference between someone who thinks positively and applies it in a practical way, and someone who thinks it will work "magically." There's nothing magic about it, which is the point of my post.

It's the positive attitude that motivates the person to pursue things, or the negative attitude that causes them to self-negate.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Lmao .. Of course i'm into positive affirmations/cosmic ordering/LOA

I send out my positive (most of the time) vibes into the universe and wait. I have a post it note at the side of my bed so i read it every morning and by my front door.

I have a feng shui frog angled towards my front door. I have 3 three legged frogs in my living room. I have a walnut with a canadian coin in it along with green candle wax to aid money. I have 3 feng shui coins in my purse. i am surrounded by crystals to align my chakra's.

I could go on but i may sound crazy.

And i'm doing OK financially. Lol. Ultimately like brings like.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think it works in the sense that the more time you spend thinking about positive things the more open your mind is to perceiving positive things. Optimists for example are more likely to spot a coin on a pavement than pessimists because they're open to the possibility.

There are near infinite "positive" things that happen every day, the same for "negative" things, we can't possible perceive or give significance to all of them so our mind filters it out. This kind of thinking is skewing the filter towards perceiving positive things.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
LAWL. And those authors self-testify, they probably got rich by selling this nonsense in the first place.