• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need Advice - Low Energy

heart

heart on fire
Somehow you might find a way to streamline what is and is not absolutely necessary and get a more realistic picture of your own limits. Then maybe you would not feel so blue over not getting as much done as you think you should right now. Many things are not really necessary at all.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Somehow you might find a way to streamline what is and is not absolutely necessary and get a more realistic picture of your own limits. Then maybe you would not feel so blue over not getting as much done as you think you should right now. Many things are not really necessary at all.

Thank you.

You have helped me in two ways. The first was giving me some practical advice such as that quoted above. The second was helping me start to realize (bear in mind that I am a bit obstinate) that other people are suffering far more than I and perhaps I just need to relax and not dwell on these feelings.

:cheers:

One thing I'd like to add. The SHIN protocol seems like a solid idea. Perhaps my problem simply is a lack of sleep.

Last edited:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you.

You have helped me in two ways. The first was giving me some practical advice such as that quoted above. The second was helping me start to realize (bear in mind that I am a bit obstinate) that other people are suffering far more than I and perhaps I just need to relax and not dwell on these feelings.

:cheers:

And while you're relaxing... include not beating yourself up. Man those beatings take alot of energy. :D

heart

heart on fire
Yes Seanan is right. Anxiety, worry, beating yourself up, all take a lot of energy!

EDIT: btw my intention was not to make you feel that others are suffering more than you, but to point out that you must actually have physical energy or you could not be running your nerves to the frazzle point. It is a matter of priorities for you, if you streamline, you will likely feel good again. Good luck and take it easy on yourself! :)

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
It depends on why a person has low energy.
That's assuming an otherwise healthy person. The point was that you don't wait until you have energy to exercise, you exercise to have energy.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
You know, on reading some more of your details, I'm thinking perhaps it's not physical energy but stress and mild depression that's your problem? Sometimes people think depression is this active really "sad" thing, but really it can be a simple an description as your whole system is (slightly) "depressed" and it basically sneaks up on you when you get lazy looking after yourself. It's a physical thing that affects you emotionally but a little daily sunshine, light excercise, plenty of water, avoiding caffeine/sugar/fat, and sleeping regularly go a long way.

And I think you could benefit from the opposite of jumping your system and do meditation/yoga instead. You know 'mindful' exercises. And keep realistic to-do lists. Watch a funny movie or call an old friend every few days. Do things that make you chuckle and you look forward too.

It's small steps and consistency that beat routine depression/sluggishness. 30 minutes of light exercise a day works -- walking outdoors is the easiest, cheapest thing you can do and quite effective.

I've also struggled with energy levels. I'm normally extremely energetic to the point of hyperactive (I can seriously be too much for extreme introverts, like my INTP brother) but I've had mood/stress/avoidance issues and self-medicated through effing up my sleep patterns to the point of FUBAR and caffeine/stimulants. ---> Not the way to go. Caffeine and other stimulants will seriously eff up your system and it's not true energy nor will you be clear headed.

After a lot of trial and error and research, I think barring medical intervention, slow, steady, and consistent is the way to go. Though getting a full physical is a good start too. Or talking to a trainer and getting an initial assessment.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I need some advice or perhaps just a good laugh.

Overall I am a low energy person however I am also very ambitious, motivated, outgoing, etc.

Occasionally, such as today, I get very tired and don't accomplish the things I was supposed to accomplish (i.e.: go to the bank, finish a lab assignment, prepare for an important meeting, etc.) and thus become angry at myself and then depressed.

I have no history of physical or mental disease and am for the most part a decent, successful guy.

So I am wondering why do I have these feelings? Is it just me or is this normal?

Yep. Sounds like depression. Possibly some ADHD. People with ADHD usually have a history of depression.

You can think yourself out of depression. The trick is to absolutely refuse to allow yourself to get depressed. Keep busy doing something all the time. Never allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself. Set goals and work towards them. Everyday you want to be thinking about what small thing you can do today to move one baby step closer to your goal.

Go see your doc.