• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confidence

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are your thoughts about confidence/a confident person?

What do you feel are the qualities, behaviours, etc that go along with true confidence? How do think you can tell if someone is truly confident - as opposed to arrogant, or putting up a facade to mask insecurity?

Thoughts and examples? :) I think I am pretty good at telling if someone is simply arrogant - as it can be so obvious and off-putting. But I'm not always good at telling if someone is truly confident and secure in themselves, or if it is a mask for insecurity.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've come to see arrogance and narcissism as very needy things. There is a need to see oneself in a certain way, a need to get others to see you in that same way and acknowledge this, a need to prove yourself. I've heard one self-aware narcissist use the term "narcissistic supply" to mean all the ways others acknowledge you, and he described his disorder as an addiction to this narcissistic supply. Other people were not acknowledged as separate people with their own thoughts and feelings and experiences, they were mostly just potential sources of admiration. They exist to supply the narcissist with his "drug".

That's an extreme case, but I can see some amount of that need for acknowledgement and reaction in quite a few people. Also, the diminishing of others, the tendency to ignore or dismiss them in a lot of ways, and pay attention to them more in the sense of how they respond to you. (Like that joke "Enough about me; let's talk about you. What do you think of me?") Or, an arrogant person might notice others as inferiors in some way, people that s/he can out-do somehow.

I think my dad has some narcissistic tendencies. He was never abusive or even particularly critical of me, but I often felt uncomfortable around him and didn't understand why for a long time. I now think a lot of it has been this pressure on me to show him the mirror image he wanted to see. To agree, to admire, to act fascinated by his ideas. He'd actually watch me very closely a lot of the time, and push harder and harder if I wasn't reacting the way he wanted me to. It got very tiresome. Once he told me about some new committee or board or something he'd joined, and I didn't react as enthusiastically as he wanted me to, and he just jumped down my throat and accused me of having no respect for him and thinking he's a loser. (That's another characteristic of the compensating sort of narcissism; it's very black and white. Either you're super-special and amazing, or you're nothing).

Genuinely secure people don't need to push for admiration, and they aren't so excessively self-focused. They're able to appreciate and admire other people as well as themselves, and don't need to get others' admiration or outperform them in some way to feel good about themselves. They're able to take risks and listen to criticism without getting defensive or making excuses. They can admit their faults without getting down on themselves or lashing out. They can see the middle ground between being exceptionally great and being worthless, and so don't need to prove their exceptional greatness to themselves.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does this have anything to do with me shoving my hands down your pants at the Christmas office party, Silk, because I apologized for that. By grabbing your butt.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Hmmmm... I think my only contribution to this thread is in my opinion true confidence ends up being confused with humility.

rav3n

In my opinion, it's a matter of put up or shut up. Knock the legs from under them and a narcissistic individual will fold like a cheap suit, getting more and more irrational, the further you push them. If you've ever seen a fit of narcissistic rage, where one goes into a screaming mimi fit, you'll understand what I mean.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've come to see arrogance and narcissism as very needy things. There is a need to see oneself in a certain way, a need to get others to see you in that same way and acknowledge this, a need to prove yourself. I've heard one self-aware narcissist use the term "narcissistic supply" to mean all the ways others acknowledge you, and he described his disorder as an addiction to this narcissistic supply. Other people were not acknowledged as separate people with their own thoughts and feelings and experiences, they were mostly just potential sources of admiration. They exist to supply the narcissist with his "drug".

That's an extreme case, but I can see some amount of that need for acknowledgement and reaction in quite a few people. Also, the diminishing of others, the tendency to ignore or dismiss them in a lot of ways, and pay attention to them more in the sense of how they respond to you. (Like that joke "Enough about me; let's talk about you. What do you think of me?") Or, an arrogant person might notice others as inferiors in some way, people that s/he can out-do somehow.

I think my dad has some narcissistic tendencies. He was never abusive or even particularly critical of me, but I often felt uncomfortable around him and didn't understand why for a long time. I now think a lot of it has been this pressure on me to show him the mirror image he wanted to see. To agree, to admire, to act fascinated by his ideas. He'd actually watch me very closely a lot of the time, and push harder and harder if I wasn't reacting the way he wanted me to. It got very tiresome. Once he told me about some new committee or board or something he'd joined, and I didn't react as enthusiastically as he wanted me to, and he just jumped down my throat and accused me of having no respect for him and thinking he's a loser. (That's another characteristic of the compensating sort of narcissism; it's very black and white. Either you're super-special and amazing, or you're nothing).

Genuinely secure people don't need to push for admiration, and they aren't so excessively self-focused. They're able to appreciate and admire other people as well as themselves, and don't need to get others' admiration or outperform them in some way to feel good about themselves. They're able to take risks and listen to criticism without getting defensive or making excuses. They can admit their faults without getting down on themselves or lashing out. They can see the middle ground between being exceptionally great and being worthless, and so don't need to prove their exceptional greatness to themselves.

Great post, thank you. I can't help wondering if this type of insecurity, or even narcissism, is really quite common. Aren't there a lot of people who mainly seem interested in others in terms of how others respond to them, flatter them, mirror them, etc...? Or is that just me being cynical?

Mind you, I think it is rare to be genuinely, thoroughly confident and self-assured without arrogance. EVeryone has their insecurities. For myself...I think I am good at acknowledging my own weaknesses and failings very honestly, probably more so than quite a lot of people. BUT, I can get defensive and unhappy when other criticize me, even if it's pretty kind and gentle. And I worry too much about what others think about me. I guess one reason why I wonder about confidence is because I've often been told I come across as confident. But I know it can be a bit illusory, because just because you're a tall female with a calm demeanour doesn't automatically make you confident. :huh:

Does this have anything to do with me shoving my hands down your pants at the Christmas office party, Silk, because I apologized for that. By grabbing your butt.

:rofl1:

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmmm... I think my only contribution to this thread is in my opinion true confidence ends up being confused with humility.

Interesting! Care to elaborate? I would think they go together, in best case scenarios anyway...

In my opinion, it's a matter of put up or shut up. Knock the legs from under them and a narcissistic individual will fold like a cheap suit, getting more and more irrational, the further you push them. If you've ever seen a fit of narcissistic rage, where one goes into a screaming mimi fit, you'll understand what I mean.

I don't know for sure if I have seen a fit of narcissistic rage. ;) I wonder what the best way to call a narcissist's bluff is...?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Interesting! Care to elaborate? I would think they go together, in best case scenarios anyway...

I don't really know what else to say. I suppose it's kind of like the amount of confidence that person has reaches a point where all their actions exude it and they no longer have to talk about their actions, but simply do them. I think insecurity is directly related to speech. When the person in question is flaunting their skills they aren't only trying to convince others of their abilities, but themselves.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've seen a narcissist in full blow and it's nothing - NOTHING - like confidence. It's like comparing carob to chocolate.

My litmus test is to see how well the person reacts to others making small (nothing truly mean) jokes at their expense or ANY challenge to their "dignity". Abrupt defensiveness, overreacting, or being mean/insulting in response indicates a brittle ego. If you can't laugh at yourself on some level, there's a problem. I don't trust people who can't "play".

Arrogance smells like a brute animal. It can't stand the idea of being dominated by anything or anyone. That's no fun. I like trading paint, being on top then having the tables turned on me. It's never about putting someone down. It's about the interplay. Arrogant and narcissistic people don't get that AT ALL. They don't trust others to not hurt them (and they may have a point there, seeing as they've set themselves up to be massacred by the mundane).

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Great post, thank you. I can't help wondering if this type of insecurity, or even narcissism, is really quite common. Aren't there a lot of people who mainly seem interested in others in terms of how others respond to them, flatter them, mirror them, etc...? Or is that just me being cynical?

Oh yeah, I think it's pretty damn common. Especially in internet-land. Lots of people hanging around, just for an audience, just to go, "Look at me! Look at my ideas! Aren't they brilliant and fascinating? Aren't they beautifully expressed? Aren't I an interesting person?" I certainly like to be admired for my ideas. There are degrees though. It can be something you crave now and then, which I think is fine, and on the other end you can be obsessed your self-image to the point that it destroys your ability to relate to other people, which is tragic.

Mind you, I think it is rare to be genuinely, thoroughly confident and self-assured without arrogance. EVeryone has their insecurities. For myself...I think I am good at acknowledging my own weaknesses and failings very honestly, probably more so than quite a lot of people. BUT, I can get defensive and unhappy when other criticize me, even if it's pretty kind and gentle. And I worry too much about what others think about me. I guess one reason why I wonder about confidence is because I've often been told I come across as confident. But I know it can be a bit illusory, because just because you're a tall female with a calm demeanour doesn't automatically make you confident. :huh:

I agree that genuine self-acceptance is a tough thing for many people, maybe most. People have described me as a calm person too. I think extroverts can mistake introverts' reserve for calmness or self-assurance. You never know what's going on with people; perhaps I shouldn't read extroverts' unhesitating action as some great confidence either.

Re humility: I think healthy self-acceptance does involve a positive type of humility. Not 'I'm no good' humility, but a sort of lack of what I was describing above. A lack of need to see yourself a certain way, an acceptance of yourself as you are, an acceptance that you aren't special and superior and you have flaws and you'll fail at times and being genuinely okay with all of that.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I've seen a narcissist in full blow and it's nothing - NOTHING - like confidence. It's like comparing carob to chocolate.

My litmus test is to see how well the person reacts to others making small (nothing truly mean) jokes at their expense or ANY challenge to their "dignity". Abrupt defensiveness, overreacting, or being mean/insulting in response indicates a brittle ego. If you can't laugh at yourself on some level, there's a problem. I don't trust people who can't "play".

Arrogance smells like a brute animal. It can't stand the idea of being dominated by anything or anyone. That's no fun. I like trading paint, being on top then having the tables turned on me. It's never about putting someone down. It's about the interplay. Arrogant and narcissistic people don't get that AT ALL. They don't trust others to not hurt them (and they may have a point there, seeing as they've set themselves up to be massacred by the mundane).

The first step is acceptance.

A

A window to the soul

What are your thoughts about confidence/a confident person?

What do you feel are the qualities, behaviours, etc that go along with true confidence? How do think you can tell if someone is truly confident - as opposed to arrogant, or putting up a facade to mask insecurity?

Thoughts and examples? :) I think I am pretty good at telling if someone is simply arrogant - as it can be so obvious and off-putting. But I'm not always good at telling if someone is truly confident and secure in themselves, or if it is a mask for insecurity.

I think true confidence is a product of faith in who you are in Christ. For the non-Christians it's a product of faith in your own abilities. True confidence knows that whatever obstacles you face, you *will* rise above. It's not sitting around waiting for things to fall in your lap. It's charting a course into the unknown future with perseverance and a positive attitude; it's a 'try, fail, try again' attitude. True confidence will drive you and inspire others to do great things.

A

A window to the soul

Knock the legs from under them and a narcissistic individual will fold like a cheap suit, getting more and more irrational, the further you push them. If you've ever seen a fit of narcissistic rage, where one goes into a screaming mimi fit, you'll understand what I mean.

LOLZ! I think that's a great way to test someone! I'm all about testing people. I think it's especially important in the early stages of dating. It's also useful when commissioning someone to do work for you. If you want to cut to the chase and find out what someone is made of, knock the props out from under them. Only the strong survive. The rest will melt into a pool of green goo...

[YOUTUBE="aopdD9Cu-So"]Wicked Witch Melting[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7GJcKuVGm8

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think the real test is time and seeing the person in various situations.

If they are putting up a front:

- They tend to need to always be in control in some way and when things turn reciprocal or require some vulnerability, they avoid it (will do favours for you, but won't let you, or only when they decide when and how, don't reciprocate the same level of interest in the things/people that matter to you as you do for them, share their knowledge or expertise liberally, but never require yours etc).

- They do a bit of push/pull so that when they start feeling dependent on you or realize they are getting too attached, they distance themselves for a bit.

- They avoid expressing gratitude or need for anyone else. Their success is due to their own good management and expertise.

- They seem very natural and comfortable in familiar surroundings where they are in control, but when put in a situation where they are out of their element, they may act rude, inconsiderate of you, be purposefully argumentative or impolite to the people that matter most to you etc.

- They may feel threatened by anything or anyone that matters a lot to you and devalue it subtly or not so subtly by their comments, choices or advice.

- They downplay your achievements or your interests in comparison to theirs so that they feel competent or avoid any activities which could showcase it. This happens especially if they feel that you have expertise that they do not.

- They act inconsistently, depending on whom they are around (their image matters and they want the best of all worlds). Often they will show the most value for the people they respect least or who are of the least lasting significance to their lives (easier to maintain a facade and also not be called on certain behaviours or choices. Also, the opinion of acquaintances and strangers is more important than the regard of those close).

- Careless about maintaining relationships in their lives, even with those who try hard to. Regular changes in friends, lovers, or employment is often an indicator of this. Maintaining relationships of any kind over a long period of time requires honesty, vulnerability, expressing needs, and conflict resolution. This is very difficult for someone who is not confident.

- Critical of others. At first it may seem flattering that this smart and discriminating person chooses to spend time with you, but over time you realize that it is a way of backing into attachment with another person in a less vulnerable way (bonding over what you dislike instead of what you like), and also attempting to feel superior to people that they feel threatened by).

- Sense of competitiveness. When you have a strong sense of who you are, you can afford to acknowledge other people's good qualities. When you do not, the only way to feel better about yourself is through proving that you are more competent, that you can win more, that you are more successful, richer etc. There is a need to borrow identity from other people or external accomplishments instead it being intrinsically felt. This is what little kids do when they first meet each other. Since they do not have a strong sense of what they can do and what they are all about, they need to prove their worth through the accomplishments of those close to them (my dad's stronger than yours!), their strength, their rank, what they own, etc. Some people don't outgrow this.

- Disinterest in service unless there is some benefit to them (improves their image, advances them in certain people's opinions, etc).

- Adopts behaviours or values when they meet someone that they normally wouldn't pursue alone or in other company.

- May use secret coping mechanisms in private to deal with inner anxieties or discomfort (drinking, drugs, etc). It's often the strongest appearing people who are actually the most fragile or sensitive inside.

- Often are the ones who do the rejecting at the end of the relationship (or just act poorly enough that the other person breaks it off) rather than discussing it openly. This is one way of pushing people away before they can get too close or can reject you.

- May seem interesting and complex at first, but often that "complexity" is due to their inconsistent behaviour (caused by underconfidence).

I wish I had been able to recognize some of these signs much earliert in my life. Most of the people I know who are like this are smart, interesting, competent people who have some very appealing qualities. However, this kind of insecurity can become very alienating, controlling, unhealthy or distressing to deal with on a regular basis. It is impossible to get close to someone who is underconfident and cannot trust you enough to be vulnerable and honest with you. I don't think it is a matter of rejecting someone as a friend or partner because they are underconfident, or not good enough, so much as that they are not going to be invested in the relationship until they have their own needs met and therefore have more realistic expectations of you and attention left over to devote to their intereactions with you.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Confidence seems to require self-knowledge, a relatively accurate understanding of one's strengths and limitations. Then one is less likely to be swayed by unmerited praise, or taken aback by unexpected criticism. I can see the lack of such knowledge feeding insecurity.

Jaguar

Confidence seems to require self-knowledge, a relatively accurate understanding of one's strengths and limitations. Then one is less likely to be swayed by unmerited praise, or taken aback by unexpected criticism.

Bingo.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Confidence seems to require self-knowledge, a relatively accurate understanding of one's strengths and limitations. Then one is less likely to be swayed by unmerited praise, or taken aback by unexpected criticism. I can see the lack of such knowledge feeding insecurity.

Nicely said!

Mole

Permabanned
The Confidence Trick

It's the confidence trick that is most important, for the confidence trick gives birth to the con man. And we all want to be conned. We all want to be sold. How we love a salesman. Why, our greatest theatrical tragedy is called, "Death of a Salesman", and the author even got to marry Marilyn Munroe!

I've been listening to two hours of astrology on talkback radio and it is two hours of a supurb confidence trick. They love it. They keep ringing back. They can't get enough of it.

How we love confidence. We love it so much we even love ersatz confidence - the kind of confidence you have when you are not having any confidence. The kind of confidence you get with MBTI.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think a truly confident person is comfortable with themselves, but will also admit their flaws. Arrogant people don't like to appear weak, ever, and a confident person - at least a socially confident person - will be okay with appearing weak, without using weakness as a ploy to get pity or to play a victim role. Truly confident people are more balanced.

When people seem too sure of themselves, all the time, every day have to be in control, or don't necessarily have to be in control but are too avoidant of admitting anything negative about themselves, I think that shows insecurity.