• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Synesthesia - Show me your numbers & alphabet, you freaks!

Alea_iacta_est

It's completely different from the cultural conception!

I don't seem to have synesthesia with emotions--the word has it, so the word sadness is kind of a sulfur color, but I'd still associate the concept with being "blue" I suppose. What a hoot!

I was actually talking about the words for emotion there, I have a slight projection of Emotion - Color, here's the difference. (Yeah it's fucking weird, don't have the same word-emotion color association)
Happiness - Word: Red, Emotion: Slight yellow tint and sparkle to everything
Sadness - Word: Yellow, Emotion: Same as depression, gray overtones and hues become slightly more prominent
Vengefulness - Word: Black/Dark grey, Emotion: Light Blue overtones (I always associate it to like ice colored)
Shame - Word: Yellow, Emotion: Light red flickers in my peripherals with hints of green
Anger - Word: Green, Emotion: Blood red tints with black around the peripherals

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was actually talking about the words for emotion there, I have a slight projection of Emotion - Color, here's the difference. (Yeah it's fucking weird, don't have the same word-emotion color association)
Happiness - Word: Red, Emotion: Slight yellow tint and sparkle to everything
Sadness - Word: Yellow, Emotion: Same as depression, gray overtones and hues become slightly more prominent
Vengefulness - Word: Black/Dark grey, Emotion: Light Blue overtones (I always associate it to like ice colored)
Shame - Word: Yellow, Emotion: Light red flickers in my peripherals with hints of green
Anger - Word: Green, Emotion: Blood red tints with black around the peripherals
Ah, OK.

I can see the principle in action of the first letter influencing the rest of the word in an abstract noun. Mine's the same. I may eventually put some of it up here, but I'm ungodly hungry right now, so I'm off for the day. ;)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a very, very subtle Sound to Color projection that has only happened to me a minuscule amount of times. The most prominent one was when I was staring up at the ceiling trying to go to sleep, and I heard something fall in the other room and I saw three bright light blue twinkles off of the nearest wall (I assume that's the sound waves bouncing off of the wall). The only other times I've only seen really, really faint streaks of colors with certain notes, I have to really concentrate to see it though.

So is this your "Partial Sound -> Sight" stuff?

Waow... sounds like a hallucination almost :)

My synesthesia isn't out there this tangibly and literally. I have: Grapheme (letters and number digits) -> Colour, Grapheme (letters and number digits) -> Sound & Emotion & a visual something... I'm not sure how to explain this last one though :S

It's involuntary and consistent, yea.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have honestly no idea, but I do know that I don't break word or numbers into different colored parts (excepting typology systems), so I think it's just because they are getting higher.

Interesting, I break down them into parts instead. (Words into letters, numbers into digits and they have the same colours as single digits or letters)

I think the first letter might be a bit more noticeable (stronger colour) than the rest. It may be the reason why I only remember the first letter of words. I'm otherwise really bad at recalling words or text word by word.

Oh and I recall something else now. I used to have a period where I made up some "magic sentences"*, they were just sentences with everyday words otherwise**, and somehow I involuntarily associated colours with the sentences. The entire sentence would be one specific colour. And yeah it was consistent too but it was a long time ago (I was like 13-16-ish so over 10 years ago) and I stopped using the sentences and I don't remember them anymore.

*: sorry long story as to what that means
**: meaning was special though, used them as a kind of control over my own mind, as I said long story!!

That's pretty cool. It sucks that Synesthesia can be comorbid (even though it isn't a disorder) with mental deficits

As far as I know, I don't have mental deficits. Quite the opposite, my brain is well put together, thank-you :) Even if it has some special wiring :)

Perhaps one thing though, I don't have much focus on theory of mind stuff. I'm able to do basic ToM instinctively no problem but the more complex shit I just don't pay attention to.

Ohh well and another thing, something is off with my sensory processing of movement but it doesn't often cause a problem, it's a small side thing. (It's like, processing of motion and other visual information together under certain circumstances will get messed up; my brain will start to go to "sleep"; I have to find a reference point to resolve it but that is okay then. This happens maybe once in every few years lol, the circumstances are pretty special ones)

Which reminds me, has every person with Synesthesia been left handed at one point or another?
When I was younger (before like 3rd grade), I was predominantly lefty, but then I just changed for some reason.

No but I can use my left hand as much as my right hand if I want to / if willing to practice

Have you ever experienced Sound to Sight projection (not even color projection)? It's really fucking scary and I don't get it often. If I am in a state of deep concentration and mental fortitude, then I can see what appears to be static behind everything, and it can overwhelm my vision, but it never completely closes out the visual world. It's almost mesmerizing.

Can you say more about what you mean by the bolded? I didn't understand that at all. Thanks.

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]

I don't have any mental deficits either, my ToM is actually advanced, I can see everything behind the scenes (but its more unconscious, I don't actively look for body postures and facial expressions, it just happens).

The static is really hard to explain, I have to reach a state of deep concentration and thinking, hyper-introspective almost. I begin to see static (like TV static but more colorful) flickering everywhere behind my sight. It's like a layer underneath what I'm looking at

Better Explanation: If you've ever played "Slender" it's kinda like that static but less in your face and much more colorful. I have no idea what the fuck it is.

You have associative synesthesia. I have associative grapheme-color synesthesia, but on top of that I have partial projection Sound -> Sight and Emotion -> Color.

Mole

Permabanned
In a spoken culture every sense can feed into every other sense.

So the auditory sense, the olfactory sense, the haptic sense, the visual sense, the proprioceptive sense, all feed into one another.

But in a literate culture this is too confusing. So a literate culture privileges one sense: the sense of sight.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20622]valaki[/MENTION]

I don't have any mental deficits either, my ToM is actually advanced, I can see everything behind the scenes (but its more unconscious, I don't actively look for body postures and facial expressions, it just happens).

The static is really hard to explain, I have to reach a state of deep concentration and thinking, hyper-introspective almost. I begin to see static (like TV static but more colorful) flickering everywhere behind my sight. It's like a layer underneath what I'm looking at

Better Explanation: If you've ever played "Slender" it's kinda like that static but less in your face and much more colorful. I have no idea what the fuck it is.

You have associative synesthesia. I have associative grapheme-color synesthesia, but on top of that I have partial projection Sound -> Sight and Emotion -> Color.

Does synesthesia have to be consistent? Or is there such a thing as partial synesthesia then? What I mean is that apparently you have to have special circumstances for it to occur (for the projection one).

The static flickering, I think I have seen that but it was not to do with synesthesia. It was to do with hard concentration. Apparently, for you too, it's related to concentration.

When you do that, you do get into a state where some things will be altered. So it's no real wonder this can happen.

What does sound interesting is, you say it's closely related to sounds as well, how did you determine that?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've posted this in another thread, but I've been wondering if Synesthesia is linked to people that can read personalities/body language well and they get this "Aura" of a person in a form of colour.

Alea_iacta_est

I've posted this in another thread, but I've been wondering if Synesthesia is linked to people that can read personalities/body language well and they get this "Aura" of a person in a form of colour.

From what I've heard, that is the case. I would be considered above average in reading people's motives, wants, and desires easily, but I don't think it has to do with Synesthesia, it'd be more like intuition.

Alea_iacta_est

Does synesthesia have to be consistent? Or is there such a thing as partial synesthesia then? What I mean is that apparently you have to have special circumstances for it to occur (for the projection one).

The static flickering, I think I have seen that but it was not to do with synesthesia. It was to do with hard concentration. Apparently, for you too, it's related to concentration.

When you do that, you do get into a state where some things will be altered. So it's no real wonder this can happen.

What does sound interesting is, you say it's closely related to sounds as well, how did you determine that?

I say partial synesthesia because it doesn't happen very often, and when it does, it's very faint (usually).

I just guessed it was related to sound, it just seemed like it.

B

brainheart

To answer your first question, I think the answer is yes. I'm pretty sure there's a rigidity to synesthesia, like the sound of g produces the image of green no matter what. Conversely, if you're an artistic person, it's likely your senses will blend and feed off of each other. I'm not a synesthete, but I experience a lot of sensory fusion/ crossover.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've taken the battery and tested as a synesthete (color-grapheme), but I'm not sure -- don't you have to actually see the colors? I only see them mentally.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

(Some are hard to pinpoint, especially the purple and brownish ones. Q is both brown and grey-purple, for example. It's like looking at something duochrome with your peripheral vision.)

Does anyone else have a hard time determining the colors of 0, 1, O, and I? They're just kind of shadow-y to me...0 and O seem generally seem white and I and 1 are whitish with a darker shadow/outline, but their shades differ depending on what they're next to or how they're written.

Alea_iacta_est

I've taken the battery and tested as a synesthete (color-grapheme), but I'm not sure -- don't you have to actually see the colors? I only see them mentally.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

(Some are hard to pinpoint, especially the purple and brownish ones. Q is both brown and grey-purple, for example. It's like looking at something duochrome with your peripheral vision.)

Does anyone else have a hard time determining the colors of 0, 1, O, and I? They're just kind of shadow-y to me...0 and O seem generally seem white and I and 1 are whitish with a darker shadow/outline, but their shades differ depending on what they're next to or how they're written.

If you only see them mentally, then you are an associative synesthete. There are two kinds, Associative and Projection, the latter of which is actually experiencing the synesthesia in the outside world.

Yeah, 0s and 1s are weird. My 0 is grayish while my 1s are white/very light gray. They do seem kinda shadowy.

I've have a weird thing with people's names as well where a person's name will be one color if I'm just thinking about the name, but if I'm thinking about the actual person, his or her name assumes the regular color and has shades of their personality on top of it.

For Instance (not actual person's name)
Regular Name: Bob
Actual friend with name: Bob But way more mixing and swirling and flickering.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For me the purple and brown colours are distinct, there's several shades of these colours, each one is associated with another grapheme, in my case it's the gray ones that are a bit harder to pinpoint.

0 and O are just white, yes, I and 1 are more of a problem, because they are greyish (like Alea_iacta_est's).

I've have a weird thing with people's names as well where a person's name will be one color if I'm just thinking about the name, but if I'm thinking about the actual person, his or her name assumes the regular color and has shades of their personality on top of it.

For Instance (not actual person's name)
Regular Name: Bob
Actual friend with name: Bob But way more mixing and swirling and flickering.

Hey that's interesting. :) What do you mean by shades of personality? I also have some "shades" of something associated with certain graphemes, and with full numbers and words etc. but I can't give it a proper name, however what you say sounds similar to that... so I'm curious :)

Alea_iacta_est

For me the purple and brown colours are distinct, there's several shades of these colours, each one is associated with another grapheme, in my case it's the gray ones that are a bit harder to pinpoint.

0 and O are just white, yes, I and 1 are more of a problem, because they are greyish (like Alea_iacta_est's).

Hey that's interesting. :) What do you mean by shades of personality? I also have some "shades" of something associated with certain graphemes, and with full numbers and words etc. but I can't give it a proper name, however what you say sounds similar to that... so I'm curious :)

Different personalities have different sights to them (associative sights, I don't project this). An energetic personality has orange streaks in it in addition to the base color of the person's name, a calm, laid-back personality has earth tones, etc.

Also, negative numbers are all tinged black, gray, and red and get darker as they progress to lesser values.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Different personalities have different sights to them (associative sights, I don't project this). An energetic personality has orange streaks in it in addition to the base color of the person's name, a calm, laid-back personality has earth tones, etc.

Also, negative numbers are all tinged black, gray, and red and get darker as they progress to lesser values.

Ah, I see. By "sights" you don't mean just colours, do you?

Interesting about the negative numbers; for me there's no difference between negative and positive numbers.

Alea_iacta_est

Ah, I see. By "sights" you don't mean just colours, do you?

Interesting about the negative numbers; for me there's no difference between negative and positive numbers.

Well they are colors, but they are animated colors, they are sparkling, swirling, and melding with the base color.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I get this when the person is strongly emoting. Some people have like a literal dark cloud, with even the occasional lightning surrounding them. Additionally, during sex, I often see something like this:

manwoman.jpg

Most emotional readings are more subtle though and can be colourless - or beige, neutral tones. At the same time, some of them, especially the colourless subtle ones seem to literally change the air around them. There is like...like a visible ripple in the energy around them that they're giving off. Kind of the way a pond ripples when you throw a stone in it, ya know?

Fwiw, to me a 2 is mint green. Always has been.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get this when the person is strongly emoting. Some people have like a literal dark cloud, with even the occasional lightning surrounding them. Additionally, during sex, I often see something like this:

manwoman.jpg
Interesting, aren't those colours distracting, especially the bright white light?

Most emotional readings are more subtle though and can be colourless - or beige, neutral tones. At the same time, some of them, especially the colourless subtle ones seem to literally change the air around them. There is like...like a visible ripple in the energy around them that they're giving off. Kind of the way a pond ripples when you throw a stone in it, ya know?
hmm, and no, I don't know, I don't think I see the world that way.

Fwiw, to me a 2 is mint green. Always has been.
Does that 2 in mint green come in a shape or specific form every time?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting, aren't those colours distracting, especially the bright white light?

hmm, and no, I don't know, I don't think I see the world that way.

Does that 2 in mint green come in a shape or specific form every time?

It has a specific font :)

Honestly, it's...normal to me. For that matter, I tend to enjoy the more pleasurable emotions being amped up and the colours...well they just add to that. It's like living inside a stunning piece of art - it enhances the experience and in fact triggers a mirror response from me. The picture can only capture a moment, a snap-shot but...to me those colours are alive. They wax and wane like waves crush onto the sand, and depending on how the experience goes, they become brighter, intenser and more vivid or they ease, become more pastel like or retreat and blur into other colours, which creates an entirely new ambiance. The bright white light is like the equivalent of exquisite bliss as it is the place where the experience is most intense and well...pure perfection. It's rare that it lasts longer than a few minutes and yes, it does become distracting and even harsh and too much if it lasts too long. It rarely does though.

The same happens to me when I form a bond with someone emotionally only, not during sex. Though that experience tends to have more bluish-purple overtones, instead of pink-to-fiery red ones. And if I connect using intuition - like an exchange of ideas. That tends to be more fast-paced and rapidly jabs and streaks of colours, usually in pastel beige-yellow and silvery shades. There intensity will be more indicated by the rapidness and blinking of bursts of colours, and less so by the richness of the colour.