• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career planning and less introspective types

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Do you think there could be a correlation between people who are less introspective and their ability to plan the perfect career from age 10 on ?

The premise would be that you were raised anti-authority and had your freedom to choose from.

With less introspective types, I basically have T-types in mind. But strong perceiving types can have their issues as well, tho the likelyhood is higher that they may learn about something intresting to captivate them, just by the amount of information they take in or things they try out.

Whats your opinion on this ? Who is the perfect career planer, who is not ?

Lightyear

I am an INFJ and very introspective but I am a rubbish career planer. My brain just doesn't work that way, I tend to follow hunches and walk through doors that open just at the right moment instead of mapping out a career ten years in advance. And whenever I have made plans in advance it never worked out the way I anticipated anyway. :) (also surprises keep life far more interesting) And I am really not a very competitive or ambitious person so to some degree I don't give a hoot if I have this amazing career or not.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I don't think that more introspective correlates to planning more in advance. I would think I and N types would be more introspective, while J and maybe T types would be more likely to plan well in advance.

You could be introspective but also inclined to continually consider your options and change your mind fairly frequently, which I would think might be common for ENTPs. I know I'm like that, anyway.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't think that more introspective correlates to planning more in advance. I would think I and N types would be more introspective, while J and maybe T types would be more likely to plan well in advance.

You could be introspective but also inclined to continually consider your options and change your mind fairly frequently, which I would think might be common for ENTPs. I know I'm like that, anyway.

Agree with all of this. I'm very introspective but it's never translated much into helpful action, either in the area of career or other areas. Being introspective isn't enough to build a satisfying career for yourself; you need to have discipline, drive, willingness to take risks, a solid understanding of what working in a field is actually like and the ability to look at it realistically and plan how to get there rather than just getting lost in your daydreams, and all kinds of other things I sadly lack.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Agree with all of this. I'm very introspective but it's never translated much into helpful action, either in the area of career or other areas. Being introspective isn't enough to build a satisfying career for yourself; you need to have discipline, drive, willingness to take risks, a solid understanding of what working in a field is actually like and the ability to look at it realistically and plan how to get there rather than just getting lost in your daydreams, and all kinds of other things I sadly lack.

:yes: Yes, this, too!

Me too, some of the things required for success I struggle with. There are so many mundane things that have to be done in every career. But at least if you stick it out, you eventually get to move onto more interesting stuff, and delegate more of the mundane stuff, (as long as you do it in a respectful way).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Career planning is pretty much impossible for anyone, excepting either someone with a terribly innovative idea (which might end up being the focus of his whole life), or someone with a very specific skill (say, a great sportsperson). In any other case there are a thousand variables we can't control and that will affect our "career".

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
^^ Agreed.

I don't think there is such a thing as a job for life so you can plan a career with the best of intentions but these days there are many variables. I'm only 32 and twice now have faced redundancy in the workplace, not that i've minded too much.

At some point in the future i'll get a nursing degree but in the meantime i'll continue as i've done previously and thats take advantage when doors open.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
YES.

In my case, yes.

I'm glad, though. I'm glad no one pushed "the perfect career" on me at 10. I may have went through a frustrated period when I had to work at crappy low-wage jobs at one point, but quite frankly I think I am better off to have had the plethora of interesting work experiences that I have had, and I've still ended up in my early 30's basically being an independent contractor who can work from home and on my own schedule.

No, it's not ideal. Maybe if I was a big 'ol IxxJ I might have come up with something more specific and stable and structured by now...and that would be "safer" but also more "boring" and "constrictive."

:)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think there could be a correlation between people who are less introspective and their ability to plan the perfect career from age 10 on ?

The premise would be that you were raised anti-authority and had your freedom to choose from.

With less introspective types, I basically have T-types in mind. But strong perceiving types can have their issues as well, tho the likelyhood is higher that they may learn about something intresting to captivate them, just by the amount of information they take in or things they try out.

Whats your opinion on this ? Who is the perfect career planer, who is not ?

I don't know. I'm very introspective and am not that way at all... Sounds like a TJ thing, as you say. I wouldn't be happy having everything set in stone. I'm like Lightyear, I just take good opportunities as they come along. I picked a really good career for me, and I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to go with it, but I think that I'll be (and already am) very successful regardless, since I never like to stay stagnant- a career should be something that develops over a lifetime- it's not one set decision or another.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I assumed by "introspective" he meant the clearly introverted types.

An extrovert who doesn't introspect at all has serious problems.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I assumed by "introspective" he meant the clearly introverted types.

An extrovert who doesn't introspect at all has serious problems.

Hmm... I think of introspective and introverted as being 2 different things. (Introspection meaning examining one's being, introversion meaning to be energized by internal world.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm... I think of introspective and introverted as being 2 different things. (Introspection meaning examining one's being, introversion meaning to be energized by internal world.)

Well I certainly consider myself introspective in terms of examining one's own being, I think that may go hand-in-hand with Fi...I'm very in touch with what I want, what I like, what I dislike, and what I am better at.

I'm a writer so I have to introspect quite a bit, whether I want to or not, and I spend a great deal of time thinking about what I'm seeing or reading.

But I still thrive on externals, on input, so it seems easier for me as a Pe dom to "shift" out of a path or a set way of doing things and run off to something else.

I also tend to try to come up with the easiest or more interesting way to do something rather than the safest or most structured way of doing things.

Yeah, maybe TJ types are the best at career planning, but it seems to me that an Si dom or an Ni dom could "stay on track" even if they were an FJ.

So I'm going to say that IxxJs and ExTJs probably win in terms of laying out a clear path for themselves, possibly, maybe. On average, not always.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
.... I never like to stay stagnant- a career should be something that develops over a lifetime- it's not one set decision or another.

This is how I feel too. IMO, as long as you are doing what makes you happy and what you deem to be right for you at that time, you are successful. For some people that means staying in the same field or even the same job for a very long time, and for others that means changing up whenever they need to. Even for those of us who like to make plans and stick to them, those plans always need to be tweaked as things come up.