• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Particular and the Abstract

Mole

Permabanned
What scares me here is that most can evoke, analyse, evaluate and integrate the particular, but the abstract of the particular is a complete blank.

And yet it is the abstract that provides the context for the particular.

It's as though we are driving a car but we don't know whether we are on a race track or a quiet country road.

I find this alarming, for those who are limited to the particular are easy prey for predators.

And yet what is scary is how much those limited to the particular, hate the abstract, and socially exclude those who can draw the abstract from the particular.

So the blindness to the abstract seems to be a social blindness.

Lien

mature and immature

when someone says "i think... unicorns are real", i think it doesn't matter if it is right or wrong. to me, the proper, mature response would be curiosity.

"why?
why do you think that?
please, tell me more."

when i first learned the american language as a kid, i naturally thought it was polite syntax to say "i think..." with what you are thinking, to differentiate between imagination and fact. i also naturally believed that, in all cases, acting out of anger was always immature.

when people talk about theory, there is no need to get angry, or scream out "no!"

so i think the hate, and then the outright quashing of an idea, is because of immaturity.