• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P V.S. J and music

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm not concered with music styles or genres really, but how one "selects".
So; do you prefer to, A: Select your music out of your own library on your Ipod, cds, what have you, and build your own playlist? Or, B: Listen to the radio and a station you prefer, or have someone else build a music playlist?

I'm just wondering if Ps and Js break down in the obvious manner or not.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like putting my music on random/shuffle of course I skip 20 songs before I decide on the one I want. Sometimes if there's a specific song I want I'll listen to that one, but I have all my music set so the next song is random so let's so I wanted to listen to Superstar Punai-Sublime the next song will not be Survivor-Destiny's Child which it would be if I had shuffle off instead I have no clue of the next song. So it's random but totally controllable at the same time.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I always seem to know exactly what I want to hear, so it's all iPod here, except when I'm in the car, then it is radiotime, probably because surprises make time go faster :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Depends on whim...

Sometimes I turn on the radio... other times I randomly select songs from my library... or just pick a playlist.

So no general pattern for me.

WobblyStilettos

MBTI Type
INFP
I like putting my music on random/shuffle of course I skip 20 songs before I decide on the one I want. Sometimes if there's a specific song I want I'll listen to that one, but I have all my music set so the next song is random so let's so I wanted to listen to Superstar Punai-Sublime the next song will not be Survivor-Destiny's Child which it would be if I had shuffle off instead I have no clue of the next song. So it's random but totally controllable at the same time.

I do the EXACT same thing xD

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Yep, I do the song shuffle thing... with 2000+ songs on my iTunes, it's always a surprise what I'll get next. Usually it's background noise, though, so I don't jump around unless there's something I specifically want to hear and/or I have nothing else to do.

And I'm fairly happy to listen to most things, so it really depends on which is the most convenient - radio, cd, someone else's playlist, etc.

But I can't be bothered making specific playlists. Too much work and I'd get bored of a small list way too soon. I tire of CDs quickly in that way, too.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Playlist?

I listen to albums. Or, I just shift around based on whatever I feel like hearing.

What's the "obvious manner" anyway?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Playlist?

I listen to albums. Or, I just shift around based on whatever I feel like hearing.

What's the "obvious manner" anyway?

It would seem logical that the Ps would prefer more of a random selection in which they had minimal continuous input, whereas the Js would prefer to build a structured playlist of exactly what they preferred. Just a hypothesis really.

I'm almost OCD about my music. I go through the entire song library, find a song I want to hear, and as soon as I do, find the next song as it's playing. I always have to have the next song lined up or I go nuts. I would build a playlist except that when I hear a song I'm always changing what I want to hear next, so I can never tell exactly what I want to listen to in sequence.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I never use any shuffle function, because my music collection includes too many genres. I prefer a smooth transition between them, and like Nocapszy I prefer to listen to entire albums instead. iTunes helps there -- I never use playlists, either.
When it comes to internet radio I have a few stations I especially prefer listening to, but I give some new ones a try if those fail to entertain at that time.

EDIT: In addition, I keep my music files rather organized -- while I don't care much for the year an album was released in, for instance, I categorize them carefully according to genre, fix artist/albums tags, etc, or else it bothers me. A tendency for organization not really representative of my real life...

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
A: I select music myself from my iTunes directory. I do not listen to merely songs, but through a whole album each time, so I select an album to listen to. If I am not sure what I want to listen to, I might ask someone else what they want me to listen to or something like that. I hardly ever listen to the radio or use anything along the lines of iPod shuffle.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
important_life_lesson.png

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I make playlists based on my mood
and.....
i hate listening to the radio
unless its classical
and albums are too predictable and uninspiring for me
eww

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't use playlists and always have my music on shuffle, skipping songs very frequently.

I do select ~ 1 Gb of music to put on my mp3 player every few days/weeks according to my current mood. But it's pretty random really.

I thought this was going to be about musical taste. I've noticed a significant trend with the Js and Ps I know in that Js tend to restrict themselves to one genre (typically hiphop) while the Ps listen to a very wide range of music. but my sample size isn't large enough to rule out coincidence over a type effect.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've noticed a significant trend with the Js and Ps I know in that Js tend to restrict themselves to one genre (typically hiphop) while the Ps listen to a very wide range of music.

I absolutely think Ps on average have broader music tastes than Js, but Js do not typically restrict themselves to hip-hop, so that's only your small sample of friends. Actually I am guessing hip-hop is more popular among Ps than Js, on average.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol oh no I wasn't suggesting that at all, sorry. That was a comment about my friends. It would be a bit silly to say that half of the population would restrict themselves to that genre. :laugh:

owarinoTenshi

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll generally shuffle randomly through my playlists, although I don't listen to the limited set of music I have too often now. I mainly prefer to use Pandora, since I can listen to a variety of music that I don't have to go out searching for. It is able to match my tastes pretty well, which are more or less too diverse and obscure to be played on mainstream radio. (Right now I like symphonic metal and melodic trance.)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I generally chose an album and listen to it whole. I don't make playlists, I choose an album and it becomes my playlist. This is because I usually adapt somewhat to the mood of the record and the style of the artists, and I like to focus and break it down/experience it emotionally (depending on if it's emotional music or not) as a whole collection of work by one artist.

heart

heart on fire
I'm not concered with music styles or genres really, but how one "selects".
So; do you prefer to, A: Select your music out of your own library on your Ipod, cds, what have you, and build your own playlist? Or, B: Listen to the radio and a station you prefer, or have someone else build a music playlist?

I'm just wondering if Ps and Js break down in the obvious manner or not.

I have my music on my computer and just pick from the list as suits my mood of the moment. I tend to take one song, always a different one each time and listen to it over and over and really try to get deeply into the nuances of it. Can really get deep into a feeling state doing that and generate new perspectives on old ideas.

Even if I make playlists, later on I will not agree with the choices.

I also will listen to the radio, but when I do, I turn back and forth constantly between all the channels to find songs I want to hear.

My husband is J and he gets more of a kick out of listening to someone else pick out the music, even if it is just me doing it. He says the bad songs that come on the radio make him appreciate the good songs more and make it more of a pleasure when a good song comes on. He does this with movies too. If I put a DVD in and it is something he likes, he will be all excited about it and ask "Oh, they are playing this, what channel?" when he finds out it is a DVD, there is less pleasure in viewing it for him.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
If I'm in my car I'm listening to usually one of 3 stations on the Sat Radio, or I'm listening to music off the USB drive which is sorted and played through by album.

At home I'll either go through my library picking different songs and queuing them or I'll grab and queue entire albums.

I rarely if ever use the shuffle feature or playlist features. Tho I will every now and then load up my one playlist which has my entire collection in it and hit shuffle.

Like Heart there is also times when I'll listen to the same song or album over and over whether at home or in my car.