• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P V.S. J and music

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Generally, I'll just queue up a couple albums/artists that I feel like listening to and put them on shuffle. I can't really play the library on random shuffle, as with 30gbs of music it can take a long time before what you're in the mood for comes on.

I never make playlists, and the only radio station I ever listen to is 89.5 WSOU (College radio, plays mostly metal after 10-11PM at night).

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm too cheap to buy an iPod or other music player, or much music, come to think of it, so I listen to radio, either online, or in the car. I hope that my friend will give me her old iPod though (the screen broke, but it still plays music, and it'd be free. She got a new one).

I do, however, listen to my little sister's music whenever she puts something on, because we have fairly similar tastes, mostly rock, but whatever sounds good really, and it tends to be from a variety of genres. ^.^

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have an i-pod or anything like that, and still just listen to cd's in my cd player that I got in 1994. May it continue to live and play music. haha.

I still purchase actual cd's from the music stores, which is apparently something most people don't do anymore. ;-) But outside of those cd's, I have about 50 mix cd's and cd's of artists that I burnt several years ago when Kazaa was still around and I could pilfer music that way. ;) I also like to make some mix cd's from all of the other music that I have. They tend to be themed, though (i.e. just dance/club, or just world music, or just rock), although I have a few that are pretty random and don't stick to a genre.

So I don't do playlists. Just stick a cd in that fits my mood. :) I'll sometimes go in bouts though where I tend to listen to classical music quite a bit more than other stuff, and then it might switch to rock for a while. And, like a few months ago, I was listening to Tori Amos a lot more than usual. So yeah, in summary, I listen to what fits my mood, but there tend to be larger patterns outside of that as well.

I also listen to the radio at times. There are a few really good stations in town.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I usually build a playlist of 5-10 based on songs that "sound right" in sequence for the effect they have on my mood, and play them in that order, often reusing that same order for those songs because their collective tone and sequence almost becomes a song itself to me.

Other times I just play the song that I have a "craving" for, and just pull it up and play it standalone. Sometimes twice in a row.

Note that the playlist is usually on paper, as the songs can be on several different media. One song might be on a CD, another might be on a different one, another might be on my computer as an MP3, and yet another might be on YouTube. I just get used to switching around between them to accommodate the list in my head.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
For the most part I do all of the above (everything that everyone has mentioned) except I don't buy songs off of the internet.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm not concered with music styles or genres really, but how one "selects".
So; do you prefer to, A: Select your music out of your own library on your Ipod, cds, what have you, and build your own playlist? Or, B: Listen to the radio and a station you prefer, or have someone else build a music playlist?

I'm just wondering if Ps and Js break down in the obvious manner or not.

A, definitely. I also get annoyed with the music stations on cable because I can't control the playlist of songs.

When I'm listening to my Ipod, I'll put it on shuffle if I'm doing something else. However, if I'm simply listening to music, I tend to pick out the specific songs I want to hear.

sassafrassquatch

I have 3,589 MP3s which are perfectly named, tagged, volume normalized and arranged into folders by artist and album. Most of the time I have about half a dozen songs I like listening to over and over again. Right now I prefer listening to the trance channel on DI.